General Forum

General Forum

  1. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Joined
    19 Apr '10
    Moves
    55013
    29 Aug '13 06:04
    It makes you feel all warm inside. It reduces pain, and makes the internet fun.
    Cheers
  2. Joined
    10 May '07
    Moves
    10128
    29 Aug '13 06:07
    The first glass of wine makes me feel good.
  3. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Joined
    22 Apr '05
    Moves
    525906
    29 Aug '13 11:34
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    It makes you feel all warm inside. It reduces pain, and makes the internet fun.
    Cheers
    A tear is not sweeter because it falls in a glass with beer.
  4. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    97073
    29 Aug '13 11:42
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    A tear is not sweeter because it falls in a glass with beer.
    Some people put a bit of salt in their draft beer but I don't think it's to sweeten it.
  5. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Joined
    22 Apr '05
    Moves
    525906
    31 Aug '13 08:53
    Originally posted by Great Big Stees
    Some people put a bit of salt in their draft beer but I don't think it's to sweeten it.
    Let me be more blunt:

    Does alcohol actually reduce pain as claimed or does it just repress it, making the Impact of the source of pain sharper in the long run?
  6. Joined
    10 May '07
    Moves
    10128
    31 Aug '13 11:05
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    Let me be more blunt:

    Does alcohol actually reduce pain as claimed or does it just repress it, making the Impact of the source of pain sharper in the long run?
    "... In everyday life, many people continue to deal with pain by self-medicating with alcohol. Due to its ability to depress the central nervous system (CNS), it slows down the brain and nervous system, and delivers a certain amount of pain relief. It also has muscle relaxant and sedating properties..."

    http://www.virtualmedicalcentre.com/healthandlifestyle/alcohol-and-pain/24
  7. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    97073
    31 Aug '13 12:32
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    Let me be more blunt:

    Does alcohol actually reduce pain as claimed or does it just repress it, making the Impact of the source of pain sharper in the long run?
    In western movies (cowboy movies) they always used to give a wounded person, if it was handy, a shot of some kind of alcohol as a source of some pain relief. Is it a good idea for an ongoing source of pain relief...I should think not. For the kind of pain you refer to (I think), professional help is a more appropriate approach to the problem.
  8. Joined
    22 Dec '11
    Moves
    19457
    31 Aug '13 14:12
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    Let me be more blunt:

    Does alcohol actually reduce pain as claimed or does it just repress it, making the Impact of the source of pain sharper in the long run?
    Oh just have a drink n chill the @@@@ out.😠
    🙂
  9. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Non sum qualis eram
    At the edge
    Joined
    23 Sep '06
    Moves
    18031
    31 Aug '13 16:22
    Alcohol creates five new problems for every problem it solves.
  10. Standard memberlemon lime
    ookookachu
    oLd ScHoOl
    Joined
    31 May '13
    Moves
    5577
    31 Aug '13 17:50
    Take two beers every four hours to relieve symptoms of schizophrenia.
  11. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    97073
    31 Aug '13 20:46
    Originally posted by lemon lime
    Take two beers every four hours to relieve symptoms of schizophrenia.
    Perhaps seeking help elsewhere than a bottle, or two, of beer, say a professional who might prescribe something like clozaril maybe?
    Just saying.
  12. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Joined
    19 Apr '10
    Moves
    55013
    31 Aug '13 21:10
    Originally posted by Great Big Stees
    Perhaps seeking help elsewhere than a bottle, or two, of beer, say a professional who might prescribe something like clozaril maybe?
    Just saying.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy. I mean look at poor Frank. 🙂
  13. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Joined
    19 Apr '10
    Moves
    55013
    31 Aug '13 21:11
    Originally posted by HandyAndy
    Alcohol creates five new problems for every problem it solves.
    That's why beer comes in 6 packs, duh. 😛
  14. Standard memberlemon lime
    ookookachu
    oLd ScHoOl
    Joined
    31 May '13
    Moves
    5577
    31 Aug '13 22:451 edit
    Originally posted by Great Big Stees
    Perhaps seeking help elsewhere than a bottle, or two, of beer, say a professional who might prescribe something like clozaril maybe?
    Just saying.
    That kind of help can easily turn into a dealer/junky relationship, with approximately a third getting better, a third staying the same and a third getting worse. Not an impressive track record, especially when you consider how the help being provided is by professionals.

    Meds can work as a short term quick fix, but so can alcohol. Long term use and daily dependence of either is the real problem. It's not so much about what drug you take or who you get it from, it's about how much control you are willing to take over your own life. I quit drinking because it didn't do anything for me anymore. Doesn't mean I won't, in fact I'm thinking of going to the liquor store today to look around for something small and inexpensive. But I'll probably forget to go, or will lose interest in going before the day is over.
  15. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Joined
    14 Jul '07
    Moves
    43012
    31 Aug '13 23:49
    Originally posted by lemon lime
    That kind of help can easily turn into a dealer/junky relationship, with approximately a third getting better, a third staying the same and a third getting worse. Not an impressive track record, especially when you consider how the help being provided is by professionals.

    Meds can work as a short term quick fix, but so can alcohol. Long t ...[text shortened]... e. But I'll probably forget to go, or will lose interest in going before the day is over.
    "Long term use and daily dependence of either is the real problem."

    Alcoholic Beverages per se aren't the issue. Immoderation is and can become a personal problem of considerable magnitude. Same distinction with a difference as shallow truisms concerning money. Money isn't the root of all evil; it's the inordinate love of it, which is destructive. Money in any amount should be viewed as a servant. Some sadly become its slave. (imo)
Back to Top