1. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    07 Jun '15 09:55
    Originally posted by FMF
    I was a subscriber for several years and there were no adverts. As a non-subscriber now there are adverts but not nearly as obtrusive as in the past. There used to be an advert page that came up when you clicked on a game, and there used to be panels down the right hand side. However, I barely notice the adverts anymore and they seem to be restricted to a band b ...[text shortened]... panel above (New Games, Forums... etc.) and the grey panel (New Thread, Public Forums... etc.),
    Adverts noted (or not, as the case may be).
  2. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    07 Jun '15 10:41
    Originally posted by FMF
    It's an encyclopedia, Grampy Bobby; the entry should be an encyclopedia entry. It's intended for readers, not "prospective customers". It is most certainly not comparable to Facebook and Google.

If the RHP entry is treated like a "marketing initiative" where the "sole business objective is to sustain increased site membership by utilizing Wikipedia" and not an ...[text shortened]... integrity of Wikipedia.

moonbus' draft is pretty much spot on and Handy Andy's suggestion is apt.
    "moonbus, here's a standard question which should perhaps inform this marketing initiative..." (previous page)
    Of course Wikipedia's format requirements must be observed as are Facebook's and Google's.
  3. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    07 Jun '15 10:47
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    "moonbus, here's a standard question which should perhaps [b]inform this marketing initiative..." (previous page)
    Of course Wikipedia's format requirements must be observed as are Facebook's and Google's.[/b]
    If the web site gets more hits as a result of a Wiki listing, this will show up in the RHP server statistics. That's all the 'marketing' Russ needs to present to potential advertisers and sponsors.
  4. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    07 Jun '15 10:511 edit
    Originally posted by moonbus
    If the web site gets more hits as a result of a Wiki listing, this will show up in the RHP server statistics. That's all the 'marketing' Russ needs to present to potential advertisers and sponsors.
    Precisely, with the potential for a percentage of those whose interest caused the "hits" becoming site members. Its text matters.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    07 Jun '15 10:58
    I think Grampy Bobby’s pretentious blather about sales, market segments, marketing function, prospective customers and their needs and wishes, competitive perspective, advertising function, and Russ' overall short and longer term business goals and objectives is just him trying to stick his tongue in Russ’ ear in public, as he so often does. Seeing as Wikipedia is an online encyclopedia, I think the draft you’ve come up with is right on the mark.
  6. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    07 Jun '15 11:23
    Precisely, with the potential for a percentage of those whose interest caused the "hits" becoming site members. Its text matters.
    I do not know what percent of the revenue the site generates comes from advertising and what percent comes from paid subscribers. However the divide falls, the two groups have markedly different behavior patterns viz a viz a Wiki article.

The revenue which comes from advertisers is independent of whether visitors to the site actually play chess or use any of the other features offered (forum chat rooms etc.). Advertisers typically want to see one thing: "hits per minute." They want their banners to be seen. Site content is irrelevant to them. So Wiki article content is also irrelevant to them. What matters is the link from Wiki to RHP and how often it is used.

Regarding paid subscribers, their interest is content-specific; in this case, text does matter, as you say. But what matters to them is chess-specific, not marketing specific. So what are you suggesting? How do you think the text should be modified from the proposal above?

"Free beer for new subscribers! Limited time only!" would fall afoul of Wiki policy.
  7. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    07 Jun '15 14:415 edits
    I do not know what percent of the revenue the site generates comes from advertising and what percent comes from paid subscribers. However the divide falls, the two groups have markedly different behavior patterns viz a viz a Wiki article.

The revenue which comes from advertisers is independent of whether visitors to the site actually play chess or use any of ...[text shortened]... ove?

"Free beer for new subscribers! Limited time only!" would fall afoul of Wiki policy.
    "I do not know what percent of the revenue the site generates comes from advertising and what percent comes from paid subscribers..."
    I'd suggest that you privately ask Russ if this revenue represents a significant part of the total?

"Regarding paid subscribers, their interest is content-specific; in this case, text does matter, as you say. But what matters to them is chess-specific, not marketing specific. So what are you suggesting?"

"But what matters to them is chess-specific..." certainly sounds plausible; however, the paragraph which appears prominently as the header of this site's public forum menu appears to reflect a contrarian point of view:

"The forums are the core [1] of the 'Red Hot Pawn' community. Feel free to just read, but please consider posting a comment. Most posts will develop into a conversation (called a 'thread' ), so be sure to check back and follow up on any of your earlier posts." -Russ moonbus, what I'm suggesting is that our Wikipedia text embrace the interests of all prospective members.

"Free beer for new subscribers! Limited time only!" would fall afoul of Wiki policy." / Would reconsider the wisdom of this policy which may be viewed as discriminatory by those "new subscribers" who prefer wine or Kool Aid. lol

[1]Relevant Anecdote: Late one Friday evening decades ago, our informal chess club met at the home of Emil M. Reubens[2] in Sharon, Massachusetts, about a forty five minute drive west of Boston and a half hour east of mine. There were seven accomplished chess players there along with yours truly. Following our conversational round robin games (during which refreshments were served) six of these older men had already left to return to their own homes. Emil and I were still at his front door saying our good byes. "You know, EM, chess is the best game in the world." "Not quite, Bobby, it's the second best." "Really?! Then what's the best game?" This kind sage looked at me [in my mid twenties] with his wry smile as he spoke these sententious words: "The talking game is the best game in town." Think about it. Talking [communicating] is second only to breathing as the most dominant waking hours human activity, whether in our homes or visiting friends or in an online public forum and has always been. Little wonder that Russ has wisely stated: "The forums are the core* of the 'Red Hot Pawn' community." Gives one pause, don't you think? [2]"Emil M. Reubens: U.S.C.F. life director".
    http://boylston-chess-club.blogspot.com/2008/06/reubens-landey-u2200-bcc-championship.html
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    07 Jun '15 15:12
    moonbus, the parts of your draft that mention forums are both succinct and informative.
  9. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    07 Jun '15 15:423 edits
    Originally posted by FMF
    moonbus, the parts of your draft that mention forums are both succinct and informative.
    Note: You and I are unwittingly in concert with and exemplifying E.M, Reuben's "sententious words". Wish you and moonbus could have been there too on that memorable evening in his home so long ago. Hey,we're human. "Talking" is what we do. -Bob
  10. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    07 Jun '15 17:57
    "Talking" is what we do. -Bob
    So true. And no one ever learned anything by "talking."
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    07 Jun '15 18:02
    Note: You and I are unwittingly in concert with and exemplifying E.M, Reuben's "sententious words". Wish you and moonbus could have been there too on that memorable evening in his home so long ago. Hey,we're human. "Talking" is what we do. -Bob
    I don't think so, Grampy Bobby. I reckon you are rather too busy smelling your own farts to be "in concert" with anyone. 😵
  12. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    07 Jun '15 18:24
    ...after adjusting the numbers to allow for ad blockers.
  13. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    07 Jun '15 18:48
    Originally posted by HandyAndy
    So true. And no one ever learned anything by "talking."
    @HandyAndy: 399 pages of public forum posts x 15 since the previous pages were archived may attest to the contrary.
  14. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    07 Jun '15 18:53
    Originally posted by FMF
    I don't think so, Grampy Bobby. I reckon you are rather too busy smelling your own farts to be "in concert" with anyone. 😵
    As always, I respect your privilege of expressing an opinion whether or not your breeding shows,
    on these Red Hot Pawn Public forums we all enjoy thanks to Russ and his admin staff.
  15. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    07 Jun '15 19:151 edit
    The proposed "General" header (at the top of the Wiki article) reads as follows:

"Type of site: Internet chess server, based on the Rival Chess engine written by Russell Newman and Chris Moreton; social media services are also offered."

"Social media services," I think, would be understood to include the forums.

I would propose to tweek the paragraph about forums thus:

"There are lively chat forums, open to both subscribers and non-subscribers, on various topics including chess, spirituality, politics, science, culture, sports, debate, tournaments, clans, clubs, general interest, posers and puzzles, as well as private forums (for subscribers only). Most forums see postings in several threads each day, so that there is always someone to communicate with. Threads are closed after 60 days to keep the contents fresh. The forums have taken on a life of their own [that was Suzi's phrase] and playing chess is not a requirement for participation in any of the forums."

Would this fit the bill?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree