1. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    02 Jun '15 23:361 edit
    About @jsmith
    Last moved 2995 days 3 hours and 12 minutes ago
    "Going away sorry to resign my games!"
    Won 24 of 32 Games with a High Rating of 1730.

Rhetorical Statement: Wonder why.
  2. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    03 Jun '15 00:38
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Updating RHP's profile on Wikipedia (OP) Thread 64739
    Original post by Standard member jsmith on 10 Mar '07 15:00

Standard member jsmith Joined05 Feb '07 Moves777 10 Mar '07 15:00
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Hot_Pawn

"Despite GameKnot having a reported 1/2 a million members, none of them are interested in their page on the W ...[text shortened]... osted in a public forum here, it's there in cyberspace until the cows and competitors come home.
    The overcooked Wikipedia entry was eventually deleted by editors.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Jun '15 01:29
    ....with the caveat that Russ will then evaluate the draft within the context of his own competitive perspective, overall short and longer term business goals as the site's proprietor prior to submission to Wiki.
    Wouldn't this be against the spirit of the rules of wiki ~ something which Russ specifically stated in his OP he did not want contravene?
  4. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    03 Jun '15 01:45
    Originally posted by FMF
    Wouldn't this be against the spirit of the rules of wiki ~ something which Russ specifically stated in his OP he did not want contravene?
    Isn't it time to copy and paste the rules of wiki?
  5. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    03 Jun '15 02:141 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    Originally posted by Russ
    "If anyone has the inclination, could I ask that someone adds a RHP wiki page?

I'm unable to do this myself without falling foul of promoting self-interest (as I understand the rules anyway)..."

.... yes, adding an "RHP wiki page" would appear to "be against the spirit of the rules of wiki" as opposed to evaluating a draft by loyal site members for factual accuracy and appropriateness. If there are any further questions, please contact Russ. Thank you.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Jun '15 02:34
    .... yes, adding an "RHP wiki page" would appear to "be against the spirit of the rules of wiki" as opposed to evaluating a draft by loyal site members for factual accuracy and appropriateness. If there are any further questions, please contact Russ. Thank you.
    It clearly wasn't about "factual accuracy", Grampy Bobby. When you suggested that... "Russ will then evaluate the draft within the context of his own competitive perspective, overall short and longer term business goals" you wanted to make it about the "competitive perspective" and "business goals". By contrast, Russ' integrity is demonstrated in his OP.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Jun '15 02:45
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    I think an important thing to note here is that any entry in Wikipedia for RHP has to be as factual and unbiased as possible.
    Agreed.
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    03 Jun '15 04:39
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    I think an important thing to note here is that any entry in Wikipedia for RHP has to be as factual and unbiased as possible. Perhaps including some mention of the "wild-west" atmosphere of the early forum activity and perhaps some acknowledgement that for what is predominantly a chess site, the forum activity has taken on a life of its own. As well as a ...[text shortened]... h other chess sites.

Just a few random thoughts I had... take them or leave them as you will.
    I doubt that the "'wild-west' atmosphere of the early forum activity" and the "controversy" surrounding players being banned for engine use are quite what Russ had in mind as being representative of RHP. I also suspect that what you refer to as "the more controversial bits of RHP" are only of interest to existing members involved with such controversy.
  9. Subscribermoonbusonline
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    03 Jun '15 06:12
    Originally posted by JS357
    Perhaps it will be useful to look at the wikipedia entry for Chess.com.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chess.com
    Recommendation noted. Thanks.
  10. Subscribermoonbusonline
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    03 Jun '15 06:18
    Originally posted by divegeester
    I doubt that the "'wild-west' atmosphere of the early forum activity" and the "controversy" surrounding players being banned for engine use are quite what Russ had in mind as being representative of RHP. I also suspect that what you refer to as "the more controversial bits of RHP" are only of interest to existing members involved with such controversy.
    It would be appropriate to mention the forums, since it appears that some very active forum members don't actually play much chess. The content of forum threads will not be of interest to Wiki readers and should not be mentioned in a proposed Wiki article.
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    03 Jun '15 06:21
    Originally posted by moonbus
    It would be appropriate to mention the forums, since it appears that some very active forum members don't actually play much chess. The content of forum threads will not be of interest to Wiki readers and should not be mentioned in a proposed Wiki article.
    Definitely appropriate to mention that the site has a range of forums.
  12. Subscribermoonbusonline
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    03 Jun '15 06:421 edit
    I just put "red hot pawn" into the Wiki search engine and it returned "Did you mean red hot pain.* The page red hot pawn does not exist..." So it appears that whatever may have been in the past, we can start with a clean slate now.

I have also read the previous thread from '07 regarding a previous Wiki article (now defunct). I do not know the content of that article; if someone knows of an archived version, please send me a link.

I am offering to have a go at drafting a new article. Two others have offered to join me. Without going into any detail right now about what will go into the article, I'd like to say that I think RHP is a fine site which deserves to be publicized and that if a Wiki article will drive more business in Russ's direction, so much the better for all of us.

That the article should be an unbiased and factual description of what the site offers is axiomatic. As I see it, the main issue is how detailed the article should be about the features and the history of earlier versions of the user interface.

* A "computer freudian slip" ?
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Jun '15 07:06
    Originally posted by moonbus
    That the article should be an unbiased and factual description of what the site offers is axiomatic. As I see it, the main issue is how detailed the article should be about the features and the history of earlier versions of the user interface.
    I'd suggest that in the region of 300 words would be about right.

I'd mention the features that we see across the top of the screen: Forums, Tournaments, Ladders... so on... ending with Tables, and Blitz.

Perhaps you could state how many members have been active this year 2015 (so far) ~ approximately 15,000 ~ and maybe how many different members it has had at various times since its inception (over 400,000).
  14. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    03 Jun '15 07:24
    Does anyone - possibly Russ - have a copy of the original Wikipedia page that was removed on 4 January 2009 ?
  15. Subscribermoonbusonline
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    03 Jun '15 07:31
    Originally posted by FMF
    I'd suggest that in the region of 300 words would be about right.

I'd mention the features that we see across the top of the screen: Forums, Tournaments, Ladders... so on... ending with Tables, and Blitz.

Perhaps you could state how many members have been active this year 2015 (so far) ~ approximately 15,000 ~ and maybe how many different members it has had at various times since its inception (over 400,000).
    Yes, it makes sense to start small. It could be expanded later, if need be.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree