Any Wiki Editors?

Any Wiki Editors?

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
07 Jun 15
1 edit

Originally posted by moonbus
The proposed "General" header (at the top of the Wiki article) reads as follows:

"Type of site: Internet chess server, based on the Rival Chess engine written by Russell Newman and Chris Moreton; social media services are also offered."

"Social media services," I think, would be understood to include the forums.

I would propose to tweek the paragrap ...[text shortened]... chess is not a requirement for participation in any of the forums."

Would this fit the bill?
moonbus, I trust your judgment; from here on in the task is in your capable hands. Thank you.

Über-Nerd

Moves
07 Jun 15

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
moonbus, I trust your judgment; from here on in the task is in your capable hands. Thank you.
Quite a few people have made good suggestions. I have tried to incorporate the best of them. Thanks to all who have contributed.

I await Russ's final approval.

Read a book!

Moves
07 Jun 15

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
@HandyAndy: 399 pages of public forum posts x 15 since the previous pages were archived may attest to the contrary.
Ah yes, but what is 399 pages compared to 1,211?

And what is 100,000 well-chosen words compared to a million?

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
07 Jun 15
1 edit

Originally posted by HandyAndy
Ah yes, but what is 399 pages compared to 1,211?

And what is 100,000 well-chosen words compared to a million?
Some author worthwhile threads; some post thoughtfully to the threads of others; some choose to read only;
some lurk and gainsay cowardly with Thumbs Down. It's a net qualitative issue. Stay safe. Be well.

S

Moves
07 Jun 15

The previous Wikipedia article on Red Hot Pawn was deleted on the grounds that there was no evidence of substantial coverage in reliable secondary sources. Unless such sources are found, any new article is liable to be deleted for the same reason.

F

Moves
07 Jun 15

The forums have taken on a life of their own...
This sounds like advertising blurb and would most likely get a "citation needed" tag from the people at wikipedia before eventually being deleted, perhaps along with the paragraph it's in. The objective detail that does belong is that "playing chess is not a requirement for participation in any of the forums".

The King of Board

Solar System

Moves
08 Jun 15
1 edit

I suggest to mention some special events like the 1.000.000 moves of zorro_the_fox,
or the fact that there are many web sites of the same creators of RHP,
or statistics.... about players.... how many from Oregon,
how many from Europe, from Spain,
from India,
how many under 1200 and how many over 2500
you got the idea.. I guest
or for example mention some controversies ....etc etc

Über-Nerd

Moves
08 Jun 15

Originally posted by Schlecter
I suggest to mention some special events like the 1.000.000 moves of zorro_the_fox,
or the fact that there are many web sites of the same creators of RHP,
or statistics.... about players.... how many from Oregon,
how many from Europe, from Spain,
from India,
how many under 1200 and how many over 2500
you got the idea.. I guest
or for example mention some controversies ....etc etc
Controversies? You mean. like the time someone called Rufus T. Firefly an "upstart"?

F

Moves
08 Jun 15

Controversies? You mean. like the time someone called Rufus T. Firefly an "upstart"?
There's no way of getting any objective source of analysis or comment about controversies ~ the web site kind of giving up on fighting chess engine usage over the last however many years, for example ~ so I suppose these are topics that users of the site could explore on their own bat on the forums once they have decided to dip their toe in the pool.

The King of Board

Solar System

Moves
08 Jun 15
2 edits

controversies.....about the 'cheaters' and the feeling of the 'normal' players,
or a time when the system was down and the recovery was very difficult,
well I mean facts of the RHP particular History.
-
mention some particular users, like Greenspawn, bigdogproblem, zorro_the_fox.
and even users that had pass away like mikelom, the memorial tournament,

as I said, the history facts of this site, and notorious people

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
08 Jun 15

-

There is something called encyclopedial relevance, the wikipeadi puts it thus:

Non-notable topics
People frequently add pages to Wikipedia without considering whether the topic is really notable enough to go into an encyclopedia. Because Wikipedia does not have the space limitations of paper-based encyclopedias, our notability policies and guidelines allow a wide range of articles – however, they do not allow every topic to be included. A particularly common special case of this is pages about people, companies, or groups of people, that do not substantiate the notability or importance of their subject with reliable sources, so we have decided that such pages may be speedily deleted under our WP😕PEEDY policy. This can offend – so please consider whether your chosen topic is notable enough for Wikipedia, and then substantiate the notability or importance of your subject by citing those reliable sources in the process of creating your article. Wikipedia is not a directory of everything in existence.

So internal controversies and "notable" players are a non-topic.

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
08 Jun 15

and the wikipeadia on advertising:

Advertising
Please do not try to promote your product or business. Please do not insert external links to your commercial website unless a neutral party would judge that the link truly belongs in the article; we do have articles about products like Kleenex or Sharpies, or notable businesses such as McDonald's, but if you are writing about a product or business be sure you write from a neutral point of view, that you have no conflict of interest, and that you are able to find references in reliable sources that are independent from the subject you are writing about.

N

Moves
08 Jun 15

-

I can see this all getting condensed down by an editor to "Mostly harmless". 😉 Perhaps with good reason...

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
08 Jun 15

Originally posted by NoEarthlyReason
I can see this all getting condensed down by an editor to "Mostly harmless". 😉 Perhaps with good reason...
They keep the chess.com article so chances are not too low for a RHP one if we don't fall off the horse

N

Moves
08 Jun 15

Originally posted by Ponderable
They keep the chess.com article so chances are not too low for a RHP one if we don't fall off the horse
YAH! Giddy-up!