General Forum

General Forum

  1. This is embarrasking
    Joined
    17 Nov '05
    Moves
    39478
    25 May '14 20:16
    Whatever I liked it.

    http://goo.gl/Yv9qwR

    U will 2
  2. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    40565
    25 May '14 20:47
    Amazing. 🙂
  3. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    6788
    25 May '14 21:041 edit
    I rarely look at youtubes unless they are described, but this one was worth it. Thanks.
  4. Account suspended
    Joined
    26 Aug '07
    Moves
    38239
    25 May '14 21:111 edit
    I am going to controversial here and state that its not art, beautiful and intriguing as it is, its a skill. Now before i get the obligatory hate mail I would like you to think about the difference between an art form and a skill, if there is one.
  5. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Joined
    19 Apr '10
    Moves
    55013
    25 May '14 21:24
    When I saw the thread title I thought this was all about me. 😞
  6. In your face
    Joined
    21 Aug '04
    Moves
    55993
    25 May '14 21:261 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    I am going to controversial here and state that its not art, beautiful and intriguing as it is, its a skill. Now before i get the obligatory hate mail I would like you to think about the difference between an art form and a skill, if there is one.
    Wrong again Mr Sock: -

    art1

    noun
    noun: art; plural noun: arts; plural noun: the arts

    1.
    the expression or application of human creative skill and imagination, typically in a visual form such as painting or sculpture, producing works to be appreciated primarily for their beauty or emotional power.
  7. Account suspended
    Joined
    26 Aug '07
    Moves
    38239
    25 May '14 21:321 edit
    Originally posted by Sicilian Sausage
    Wrong again Mr Sock: -

    art1

    noun
    noun: art; plural noun: arts; plural noun: the arts

    1.
    the expression or application of human creative skill and imagination, typically in a visual form such as painting or sculpture, producing works to be appreciated primarily for their beauty or emotional power.
    So there is no difference between an art and a skill which means that bricklaying is also an art form? or plastering, or fitting a kitchen or a bathroom suit.
  8. In your face
    Joined
    21 Aug '04
    Moves
    55993
    25 May '14 21:341 edit
    ...to be appreciated primarily for their beauty or emotional power.

    Now you are just being intentionally ignorant just to prove a point. Not like you (ahem cough)
  9. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    10313
    25 May '14 21:37
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Stop being stupid and copy and paste the link.
  10. Account suspended
    Joined
    26 Aug '07
    Moves
    38239
    25 May '14 21:372 edits
    Originally posted by Sicilian Sausage
    ...to be appreciated [b]primarily for their beauty or emotional power.

    Now you are just being intentionally ignorant just to prove a point. Not like you (ahem cough)[/b]
    no I have asked you a question which as yet you have sadly FAILED to even address? So bricklaying produces nothing primarily of beauty? Is that really what you are saying? or that a nail salon is an artist studio because it produces something of beauty, in this case, beautiful nails? sooo beauticians are also artists?
  11. In your face
    Joined
    21 Aug '04
    Moves
    55993
    25 May '14 21:442 edits
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    no I have asked you a question which as yet you have sadly FAILED to even address? So bricklaying produces nothing primarily of beauty? Is that really what you are saying? or that a nail salon is an artist studio because it produces something of beauty, in this case, beautiful nails? sooo beauticians are also artists?
    It's all subjective and there are some grey area here but any idiot including yourself can see that the the video fits into the above definition.

    You can argue about brick laying all day but that wasn't the initial statement you made now was it mr Sock?

    EDIT: Bricklaying works primary function is not to be appreciated primarily for its beauty or emotional power. It is intended for making bildings and civil engineering. However, many peopl can gleen appreciation from this skill and in some cases it could be classed as an art.
  12. Account suspended
    Joined
    26 Aug '07
    Moves
    38239
    25 May '14 21:495 edits
    Originally posted by Sicilian Sausage
    It's all subjective and there are some grey area here but any idiot including yourself can see that the the video fits into the above definition.

    You can argue about brick laying all day but that wasn't the initial statement you made now was it mr Sock?
    sigh, personal insults, the last bastion of the truly desperate.

    No the original video demonstrates a skill, but its not art . Nor do I think you can conveniently hide behind subjectivity either, its simply the same as making a wedding cake and icing it, its skillful but its not an art form and seeing that you are bereft of knowing what the difference is, despite your pretensions of erudition, I shall tell you. An art form is considered to be experimental, or contain experimental elements as opposed to a skill which relies upon precision and thus cooking is a skill, but its not an art form, because you are following a recipe, the same as sign writing is a skill but its not an artform etc etc etc.
  13. This is embarrasking
    Joined
    17 Nov '05
    Moves
    39478
    25 May '14 21:53
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Did you see the youtube link in the OP and actually watch it?
  14. In your face
    Joined
    21 Aug '04
    Moves
    55993
    25 May '14 21:56
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    sigh, personal insults, the last bastion of the truly desperate.

    No the original video demonstrates a skill, but its not art . Nor do I think you can conveniently hide behind subjectivity either, its simply the same as making a wedding cake and icing it, its skillful but its not an art form and seeing that you are bereft of knowing what the dif ...[text shortened]... thus cooking is a skill, but its not an artform, because you are following a recipe etc etc etc.
    Ah says the man who constanty throws stones over the wall. I repeat, the video fits perfectly the above definition of art. Your last statement does nothing to argue against this point. I'm not sure where you get you additional criteria from that art has to be experimental, but guess what? The 'skill' in the video looks pretty experimental to me. A lot more so than water colours, clay sculpture or ol paint.

    I'm not going to spend another joule of energy arguing the point as you are sooooo obviously wrong. You just can't admit to being wrong. I think you must suffer some kind of personality disorder to be quite honest.
  15. Account suspended
    Joined
    26 Aug '07
    Moves
    38239
    25 May '14 21:58
    Originally posted by Sicilian Sausage
    Ah says the man who constanty throws stones over the wall. I repeat, the video fits perfectly the above definition of art. Your last statement does nothing to argue against this point. I'm not sure where you get you additional criteria from that art has to be experimental, but guess what? The 'skill' in the video looks pretty experimental to me. A l ...[text shortened]... it to being wrong. I think you must suffer some kind of personality disorder to be quite honest.
    Sigh, the dogs howl into the twilight and the little caravan trundles on. . . .
Back to Top