Artsy-Fartsy

Artsy-Fartsy

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
26 May 14

Originally posted by Sicilian Sausage
We prefer to call him 'Trash'. 😛
"Oops!"

itiswhatitis

oLd ScHoOl

Moves
26 May 14
1 edit

Oh, oh, I got it now.... if it's not art, then what is it?

Calling it a skill doesn't tell anyone what it is. Anything we learn to do takes skill, so calling it a 'skill' is far too general a term.

PoPeYe

This is embarrasking

Moves
26 May 14

Originally posted by Sicilian Sausage
We prefer to call him 'Trash'. 😛
Friends of Trash...Another interesting topic. 😀

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
26 May 14
1 edit

Originally posted by lemon lime
Oh, oh, I got it now.... if it's not art, then what is it?

Calling it a skill doesn't tell anyone what it is. Anything we learn to do takes skill, so calling it a 'skill' is far too general a term.
Skill/skilled trade/acquired craftsmanship as opposed to an artistic gift and its discoveries in paint, marble, music, ink, etc. imo

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
26 May 14

Originally posted by cashthetrash
Friends of Trash...Another interesting topic. 😀
How about Enemies of GB
Stees?

PoPeYe

This is embarrasking

Moves
26 May 14

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
How about Enemies of GB[hidden]Stees?[/hidden]
I'm against the idea my friend. But the list might be larger.
🙁:'(😞p

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
26 May 14

Originally posted by cashthetrash
I'm against the idea my friend. But the list might be larger.
[hidden]🙁:'(😞p[/hidden]
in jest, pure jest....

PoPeYe

This is embarrasking

Moves
26 May 14

in jest, pure jest....
I'm reconsidering.😛

itiswhatitis

oLd ScHoOl

Moves
26 May 14

Skill/skilled trade/acquired craftsmanship as opposed to an artistic gift and its discoveries in paint, marble, music, ink, etc. imo
A gift is something given or is something one is born with. But being gifted doesn't mean the artist was born knowing how to create art with sand. It's something that was learned, whether by instruction or by experimentation and experience... which is pretty much how any craft or trade is acquired.

Images created on canvas is called art, so I don't know how images created with sand are disqualified as being art simply because the medium is sand. It's a distinction without a (meaningful) difference.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
26 May 14
1 edit

A gift is something given or is something one is born with. But being gifted doesn't mean the artist was born knowing how to create art with sand. It's something that was learned, whether by instruction or by experimentation and experience... which is pretty much how any craft or trade is acquired.

Images created on canvas is called art, ...[text shortened]... ing art simply because the medium is sand. It's a distinction without a (meaningful) difference.
"imo" <--- still thinking about the topic....

itiswhatitis

oLd ScHoOl

Moves
26 May 14
1 edit

"imo" <--- still thinking about the topic....
The key to robbies objection (to it being art) is found in his original statement:

I would like you to think about the difference between an art form and a skill

But here's the problem with his argument... an artist having skill at making art isn't the art itself, but this doesn't mean what he creates with that skill isn't art. He directed our attention to the skill, saying the skill isn't art, which is true. But to say the result of that skill is not art is not true. I think he's relying on the fact that the image is always changing, but so what? The art itself has been preserved in the digital images showing that process. Ergo, robbie is full of beans if he contends it is not art but merely a demonstration of skill.

PoPeYe

This is embarrasking

Moves
26 May 14

The key to robbies objection (to it being art) is found in his original statement:

[b]I would like you to think about the difference between an art form and a skill

But here's the problem with his argument... an artist having skill at making art isn't the art itself, but this doesn't mean what he creates with that skill isn't art. He dire ...[text shortened]... Ergo, robbie is full of beans if he contends it is not art but merely a demonstration of skill.[/b]
I think the arguments and counter arguments about skills and craftsmanship verses art have been interesting and really quite funny to be honest. I fail to see why it can't be both a skill and an art. Skill is a learned trait where as the art is something that comes from within the artist called talent. Which usually can't be taught.

People here have learned how to read and write and have learned grammar skills and increased their vocabularies. That is the skill that is learned. But it takes talent to place those words together to convince others that their argument is right and someone elses is wrong. Especially if they have a week argument to start with. That is where artistry comes in. Debate is an art based on skill. I have little ability to convince anyone of anything. And it is not my intent in this case. But attorneys and politicians sometimes do, even when wrong. What is it they have that allows them to do this? Is it skill, artistic talent or both? I think that media plays a roll in Politics, as would critics in the art world.

So the real question I have is; are there any art critics that would like to say if they enjoyed the talented and very well crafted sand art that was displayed in the OP video? Or were they unimpressed...if so why?

i

Moves
26 May 14

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
I am going to controversial here and state that its not art, beautiful and intriguing as it is, its a skill. Now before i get the obligatory hate mail I would like you to think about the difference between an art form and a skill, if there is one.
Creating art is a skill. The two are not opposites.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
26 May 14

or sand?

Constant Gardener

The Plot

Moves
26 May 14