1. Account suspended
    Moves
    25 May '14 21:58
    Originally posted by Sicilian Sausage
    Ah says the man who constanty throws stones over the wall. I repeat, the video fits perfectly the above definition of art. Your last statement does nothing to argue against this point. I'm not sure where you get you additional criteria from that art has to be experimental, but guess what? The 'skill' in the video looks pretty experimental to me. A l ...[text shortened]... it to being wrong. I think you must suffer some kind of personality disorder to be quite honest.
    Sigh, the dogs howl into the twilight and the little caravan trundles on. . . .
  2. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    25 May '14 21:58

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

3. This is embarrasking
    Moves
    25 May '14 21:59
    Originally posted by Trev33
    Stop being stupid and copy and paste the link.
    Choice of words little Brother. 😠
  4. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    25 May '14 22:01

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

5. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    25 May '14 22:03
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Worked for me and I'm also UK. Just open youtube and search using the code at the end of the link.
  6. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    25 May '14 22:09
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    As I was working yesterday today was my weekend, working the next 6 days so didn't do much... pity about the crappy weather though. That's why I'm grumpy - working to much and crappy weather.
  7. In your face
    Moves
    25 May '14 22:191 edit
    Originally posted by Trev33
    As I was working yesterday today was my weekend, working the next 6 days so didn't do much... pity about the crappy weather though. That's why I'm grumpy - working to much and crappy weather.
    You're always grumpy though 😛
  8. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    25 May '14 23:20
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    no I have asked you a question which as yet you have sadly FAILED to even address? So bricklaying produces nothing primarily of beauty? Is that really what you are saying? or that a nail salon is an artist studio because it produces something of beauty, in this case, beautiful nails? sooo beauticians are also artists?
    If brick-laying produces a thing of beauty then the artist is
    the architect/designer/artist who gave the brick-layer the plan.

Most artists are also skilled but there are some with little
    or no skill who commission works from artisans
  9. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    26 May '14 00:291 edit
    sigh, personal insults, the last bastion of the truly desperate.

No the original video demonstrates a skill, but its not art . Nor do I think you can conveniently hide behind subjectivity either, its simply the same as making a wedding cake and icing it, its skillful but its not an art form and seeing that you are bereft of knowing what the dif ...[text shortened]... are following a recipe, the same as sign writing is a skill but its not an artform etc etc etc.
    I don't get where you're coming from. Are you saying something has to have a practical purpose in order for it to involve skill? Are you saying it's only a skill if it serves some personal physical need?

If it doesn't take skill to do the sand art seen in the video, then anyone could do it.
  10. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    26 May '14 00:42
    I am going to controversial here and state that its not art, beautiful and intriguing as it is, its a skill. Now before i get the obligatory hate mail I would like you to think about the difference between an art form and a skill, if there is one.
    My layman's opinion would be that "skill" or craftsmanship knows the effect to be produced upon an audience before the fact; with "art" the artist explores unknown limits and possibilities. The title of a painting (novel or poem) is written last.
  11. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    26 May '14 00:44
    Originally posted by cashthetrash
    Whatever I liked it.

http://goo.gl/Yv9qwR

U will 2
    Interesting thread, cash. Thanks.
  12. In your face
    Moves
    26 May '14 00:44
    Originally posted by lemon lime
    I don't get where you're coming from. Are you saying something has to have a practical purpose in order for it to involve skill? Are you saying it's only a skill if it serves some personal physical need?

If it doesn't take skill to do the sand art seen in the video, then anyone could do it.
    No, he is saying that it is a skill and therefore not art. I'm not sure why as he is unable to explain his logic.
  13. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    26 May '14 00:46
    sigh, personal insults, the last bastion of the truly desperate.

No the original video demonstrates a skill, but its not art . Nor do I think you can conveniently hide behind subjectivity either, its simply the same as making a wedding cake and icing it, its skillful but its not an art form and seeing that you are bereft of knowing what the dif ...[text shortened]... are following a recipe, the same as sign writing is a skill but its not an artform etc etc etc.
    No the original video demonstrates a skill, but its not art .

Now I'm confused... so you're saying it is a skill, but it is not art?
  14. In your face
    Moves
    26 May '14 00:46
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Interesting thread, cash. Thanks.
    We prefer to call him 'Trash'. 😛
  15. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    26 May '14 00:521 edit
    Originally posted by Sicilian Sausage
    No, he is saying that it is a skill and therefore not art. I'm not sure why as he is unable to explain his logic.
    Yeah, I just now found where he said it's a skill. I must have assumed he was saying art doesn't involve skill. Maybe we should go at this from a different angle and ask him to define what art is.

Oh wait, that won't work... art is a skill. Duh!

?

I give up

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree