1. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    26 May '14 07:29
    Originally posted by iChopWoodForFree
    Creating art is a skill. The two are not opposites.
    And yet, what the video demonstrates is clearly art, robbie and his attempts to redefine nearly everything notwithstanding.
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    26 May '14 07:32
    Originally posted by lemon lime
    The key to robbies objection (to it being art) is found in his original statement:

[b]I would like you to think about the difference between an art form and a skill

But here's the problem with his argument... an artist having skill at making art isn't the art itself, but this doesn't mean what he creates with that skill isn't art. He dire ...[text shortened]... Ergo, robbie is full of beans if he contends it is not art but merely a demonstration of skill.[/b]
    Well-said.
  3. rebel city
    Moves
    26 May '14 08:59
    Originally posted by cashthetrash
    I think the arguments and counter arguments about skills and craftsmanship verses art have been interesting and really quite funny to be honest. I fail to see why it can't be both a skill and an art. Skill is a learned trait where as the art is something that comes from within the artist called talent. Which usually can't be taught.

People here have ...[text shortened]... well crafted sand art that was displayed in the OP video? Or were they unimpressed...if so why?
    Craftsmanship is by definition an artistry piece of work.

But I do know of people with no artistic talents (me 🙁) but is an artist in the soul! 🙄 😉
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 May '14 09:25
    The argument is a very old and anyone that is interested can find it in Platos work the Gorgias, where Socrates debates whether rhetoric is a mere skill or an art form. 😀
  5. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    26 May '14 10:51
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    One three dimensional painting
    in the medium of free verse poetry
    on a canvas of intuitive prose
    functioning as a public forum reply;
    memorable, drewnogal....
  6. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    26 May '14 10:53
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    or sand?
    Yeah, except for most all of my many Sand Castles on Cape Cod as a boy.
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    26 May '14 16:28
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Yeah, except for most all of my many Sand Castles on Cape Cod as a boy.
    Art doesn't even have to be permanent.

What about music? There's no doubt music is art, and yet, if a piece is not recorded, it is enjoyed and then only exists as a memory, exactly like your sand castles.
  8. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    26 May '14 17:062 edits
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Art doesn't even have to be permanent.

What about music? There's no doubt music is art, and yet, if a piece is not recorded, it is enjoyed and then only exists as a memory, exactly like your sand castles.
    "My layman's opinion would be that "skill" or craftsmanship knows the effect to be produced upon an audience before the fact; with "art" the artist explores unknown limits and possibilities. The title of a painting (novel or poem) is written last." (Page 2)

"Skill/skilled trade/acquired craftsmanship as opposed to an artistic gift and its discoveries in paint, marble, music, ink, etc. imo" (Page 3)

"... exactly like your sand castles." Suzi, I think you and cash might have liked the seaweed flags atop the four corner towers of those majestic sand castles, built to last until the next high tide, within ten yards of the Atlantic Ocean (which were added by the girl whose family rented the beachfront cottage next to ours). The motes and underground tunnels were mine. lol
  9. This is embarrasking
    Moves
    26 May '14 17:39
    "My layman's opinion would be that "skill" or craftsmanship knows the effect to be produced upon an audience before the fact; with "art" the artist explores unknown limits and possibilities. The title of a painting (novel or poem) is written last." (Page 2)

"Skill/skilled trade/acquired craftsmanship as opposed to an artistic gift and i ...[text shortened]... ly rented the beachfront cottage next to ours). The motes and underground tunnels were mine. lol
    HOH would have stomped your Sand Castle into mud just to have made you cry. Then built a pigs head from the sand to replace it complete with an apple in its mouth.
  10. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    26 May '14 18:22
    HOH would have stomped your Sand Castle into mud just to have made you cry. Then built a pigs head from the sand to replace it complete with an apple in its mouth.
    You think? Well, cash, you never had opportunity to know the lovely young slang savvy girl named Marlene who would have told Hand of Hate the same thing she once told the Ocean Grove Bully Henry of Hurt in Dennisport on Cape Cod long ago:
    "What Does The Fox Say? RINGDINGDINGDINGDINGADINGADINGERINGDINGDINGADINGADING HATEEHATEEHATEEHO HATEEHATEEHATEEHO" "What is your sound?" "BABADBUPBUPBEEDUMBADEE BUPBUPBAADUP" lol
  11. This is embarrasking
    Moves
    26 May '14 20:06
    You think? Well, cash, you never had opportunity to know the lovely young slang savvy girl named Marlene who would have told Hand of Hate the same thing she once told the Ocean Grove Bully Henry of Hurt in Dennisport on Cape Cod long ago:
    "What Does The Fox Say? RINGDINGDINGDINGDINGADINGADINGERINGDINGDINGADINGADING HATEEHATEEHATEEHO HATEEHATEEHATEEHO" "What is your sound?" "BABADBUPBUPBEEDUMBADEE BUPBUPBAADUP" lol
    Ahhh but HOH wasn't done. He and Marlene ran off to the sunny beaches of Florida and lived Miserably ever after. Rumamatumtummminggg and jobully screaming weweweeeeeeee all the way home.
  12. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    26 May '14 20:18
    Ahhh but HOH wasn't done. He and Marlene ran off to the sunny beaches of Florida and lived Miserably ever after. Rumamatumtummminggg and jobully screaming weweweeeeeeee all the way home.
    "Ahhh but Henry Of Hurt wasn't done. He and Marlene ran off..."?
  13. rebel city
    Moves
    26 May '14 20:331 edit
    "Ahhh but Henry Of Hurt wasn't done. He and Marlene ran off..."?
    Talking of Marlene, I just can't help this, too beautiful song. The link below may not be the best version but I like the introduction:

YouTube

P.S. More beautiful in German:

YouTube
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 May '14 20:51
    Originally posted by Tabitha Marshall
    Talking of Marlene, I just can't help this, too beautiful song. The link below may not be the best version but I like the introduction:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPUMAFhfRHk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDQnfF6-j48
    I like this song about Marlene

YouTube
  15. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    26 May '14 20:541 edit
    Originally posted by Tabitha Marshall

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPUMAFhfRHk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDQnfF6-j48
    The German with "Marlene Dietrich - Lili Marlene (Deutsch Live)" is beautiful and apropos of Memorial Day. Thanks.

YouTube

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree