1. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    06 Jun '20 12:471 edit
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    Fair enough.

I didn't take you as the type who knew much about anything.
    Same I guess as my thinking of you as a short, balding, fat man.

We can't always be correct! Even YOU!!! 😉

-VR
  2. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    06 Jun '20 15:06
    @very-rusty said
    Same I guess as my thinking of you as a short, balding, fat man.

We can't always be correct! Even YOU!!! 😉

-VR
    Well, I'm a man at least. 1 out of 4 sir for effort.
  3. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    06 Jun '20 15:10
    @divegeester said
    He’s too smart for that, he taunts us with his smarts.
    I am honestly interested. When I was a teen I read a book titled Word Power Made Easy. Been interested ever since.
  4. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    06 Jun '20 15:101 edit
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    Well, I'm a man at least. 1 out of 4 sir for effort.
    Hey we got the same thing correct we are both men! 😉

-VR
  5. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    06 Jun '20 20:39
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    I thought I made distinctions between American and UK usage without being too pedantic. My post to JS357 earmarked American usage.

Different, we can all agree, is a tricky word. I'm not interested in prolonging the arguments about prepositions and adverbs.
  6. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    06 Jun '20 21:32
    Andy,
    You been around this world a long time....You know what has been going on in the States and around the world other than the Pandemic. Do you think change is coming? Will Martin Luther King's dream come true? Lots of sad things happening for sure. Did you see what happened to that 75 year old man, TERRIBLE stuff?

-VR
  7. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    06 Jun '20 21:51
    @very-rusty said
    Andy,
    You been around this world a long time....You know what has been going on in the States and around the world other than the Pandemic. Do you think change is coming? Will Martin Luther King's dream come true? Lots of sad things happening for sure. Did you see what happened to that 75 year old man, TERRIBLE stuff?

-VR
    Change for the better is on the way. I believe today's exuberant and courageous generation of young people will finally make it happen.
  8. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    06 Jun '20 22:17
    @handyandy said
    Change for the better is on the way. I believe today's exuberant and courageous generation of young people will finally make it happen.
    Yes, we just may live to see it after all Andy!

-VR
  9. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    06 Jun '20 23:422 edits
    @handyandy said
    I thought I made distinctions between American and UK usage without being too pedantic. My post to JS357 earmarked American usage.

Different, we can all agree, is a tricky word. I'm not interested in prolonging the arguments about prepositions and adverbs.
    As this thread Is going into the sunset, I will recount an incident: I was giving a talk to a group that included a Brit (and other nationalities). I mentioned ‘gallons’ and the Brit asked ‘whose?’ I said ‘Oh yes, yours differ from ours’ and he said ‘No, yours differ from ours.’ This got jovial laughter all around. Thankfully.
  10. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    06 Jun '20 23:55
    @js357 said
    As this thread Is going into the sunset, I will recount an incident: I was giving a talk to a group that included a Brit (and other nationalities). I mentioned ‘gallons’ and the Brit asked ‘whose?’ I said ‘Oh yes, yours differ from ours’ and he said ‘No, yours differ from ours.’ This got jovial laughter all around. Thankfully.
    Which US gallon? The dry one or the "wet" one?

Seriously ... how/why do countries put up with this nonsense?
    At least with litres it is only the spelling in dispute!
  11. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    07 Jun '20 00:071 edit
    @wolfgang59 said

I blame the French. ‘ The French don't care what they do actually, as long as they pronounce it properly’. - H. Higgins
  12. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    07 Jun '20 01:03
    @JS357

Did we answer your questions?
  13. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    07 Jun '20 07:313 edits
    @handyandy said
    @JS357

Did we answer your questions?
    About as expected. BTW WRT usage, ngram viewer shows a clear and long-standing leaning toward “different from” in both American and British English sources, although the amount of available source material may have some influence. So when in doubt, “from” might be a pragmatic editor’s best option.
  14. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    07 Jun '20 14:231 edit
    @wolfgang59 said

I being from Canada know why we wound up with the metric system. We thought the U.S.A. were going to do it and thought we'd beat them to it. Then they didn't bother doing it, so now we are stuck with it!

When you're older like many of us are it is harder to convert over and learn the new way of counting and measuring things when we were taught a while different way. Much easier for the younger people growing up with it. We have to translate everything like French and English.

-VR
  15. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    07 Jun '20 14:41
    @very-rusty said
    I being from Canada know why we wound up with the metric system. We thought the U.S.A. were going to do it and thought we'd beat them to it. Then they didn't bother doing it, so now we are stuck with it!

When you're older like many of us are it is harder to convert over and learn the new way of counting and measuring things when we were taught a while different way. Mu ...[text shortened]... e younger people growing up with it. We have to translate everything like French and English.

-VR
    It always jars me a little to read “the United States are...”, where I am expecting “the United States is...”. I speculate that my being from a “Union state” (Ohio) explains it.

https://www.visualthesaurus.com/cm/wordroutes/the-united-states-is-or-are/

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree