1. santa cruz, ca.
    Moves
    06 May '20 14:50
    what is the best form of meditation to reduce stress?
    promote sleep?
    well being?
    I would like to learn breathing or following your breath
    any practitioners out there with some advice?
  2. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    06 May '20 15:12
    @lemondrop said
    promote sleep?
    well being?
    Have tried, but have a busy mind. I know many people who it has helped.
  3. santa cruz, ca.
    Moves
    06 May '20 15:18
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    Have tried, but have a busy mind. I know many people who it has helped.
    I think that in one form of meditation that is the purpose
    to tame the monkey mind
    to let it go where it wants and to bring it back to your breath when you remember
  4. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    06 May '20 15:33
    @lemondrop said
    I think that in one form of meditation that is the purpose
    to tame the monkey mind
    to let it go where it wants and to bring it back to your breath when you remember
    Meditation....... I don't know if this will be of any help to you.

https://www.innerpeacefellowship.org/how-to-meditate/?gclid=CjwKCAjwwMn1BRAUEiwAZ_jnEks7fnewWBNBmAYHFu0T_H53LZBDRAuJn9xzA-8U1jTU6ZL4Q56Y7BoC69IQAvD_BwE

-VR
  5. santa cruz, ca.
    Moves
    06 May '20 15:36
    @very-rusty said
    Meditation....... I don't know if this will be of any help to you.

https://www.innerpeacefellowship.org/how-to-meditate/?gclid=CjwKCAjwwMn1BRAUEiwAZ_jnEks7fnewWBNBmAYHFu0T_H53LZBDRAuJn9xzA-8U1jTU6ZL4Q56Y7BoC69IQAvD_BwE

-VR
    I'm more interested in personal experiences
    thanks anyway
  6. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    06 May '20 15:51
    @lemondrop said
    thanks anyway
    Ok I tried!

-VR
  7. SubscriberRagwort
    Senecio Jacobaea
    Yorkshire
    Moves
    06 May '20 15:52
    @lemondrop

Dr Herbert Benson probably invented the simplest breath counting meditation counting "one" on every breath exhalation and going back to the breath "count" when your concentration wanders. To my mind that makes it a cross between a mantra meditation and a breath meditation.

For a while I practiced a western Buddhist technique where you watch the breath in four stages. First few minutes count it (up to one, four or ten in a loop) as you breath out. Next count it as you breath in. In the third quarter drop the count and just follow the breath all the way in and all the way out, in the final stage concentrate on the breath in one point on your nose where you can feel the breath enter and leave the body. I always found this gave the best sensation of relaxed concentration at the end of the session.

One piece of (well worn) advice:- Meditation is not what you think!
  8. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    06 May '20 15:521 edit
    @lemondrop said
    thanks anyway
    Transcendental Meditation (TM) has worked for a number of my clients and seems to be one of the better meditations to do on your own. (Personally though, I struggled with it).
  9. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    06 May '20 15:54
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    Transcendental Meditation (TM) has worked for a number of my clients and seems to be one of the better meditations to do on your own. (Personally though, I struggled with it).
    That is because your mind is too busy!

-VR
  10. Gothenburg
    Moves
    06 May '20 16:16
    @lemondrop said
    promote sleep?
    well being?
    I suggest walking, taking walks. You get that restless feeling under control, your mind wanders, you take in impressions without being aware of it and - not least - you know you are doing good for both body and mind.
  11. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    06 May '20 16:211 edit
    @lemondrop said
    promote sleep?
    well being?
    I have a busy mind but I can use what would probably get called mindfulness in the present day. Basically using a slightly busier repetitive image. I use the memory of the reflected ripples on the side of a white boat. It was a sunny day creating repeating ripples of light. I also remember the warmth of the sun on my skin whilst visualising. Certainly gets you through a long dental procedure without noticing as well!
  12. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    06 May '20 18:08
    @petewxyz said
    I have a busy mind but I can use what would probably get called mindfulness in the present day. Basically using a slightly busier repetitive image. I use the memory of the reflected ripples on the side of a white boat. It was a sunny day creating repeating ripples of light. I also remember the warmth of the sun on my skin whilst visualising. Certainly gets you through a long dental procedure without noticing as well!
    Pete and Torunn have pretty much summed up what works for me.
    A brisk walk followed by quiet mindfulness makes me feel healthy and less stressed.

When I deliberately commit to meditation I use soft ambient sound to assist. There are many varieties on YouTube. The following is one of my favorites:

YouTube

I initially concentrate on my own breathing. Slowly in through the nose and out through the mouth. I then begin by consciously releasing tension in every voluntary muscle that I can. I always begin at the toes and then work my way up from the extremities and into my diaphragm. By the time I reach the posterior neck muscles, I'm fairly decompressed. I can then turn inward and focus on something pleasing or address whatever issue may be bothering me.

Some instructors recommend focusing upon a singularity at this point. But, I choose to personalize meditation to my own therapeutic advantage.
  13. Gothenburg
    Moves
    06 May '20 18:19
    @wolfe63 said
    Pete and Torunn have pretty much summed up what works for me.
    A brisk walk followed by quiet mindfulness makes me feel healthy and less stressed.

When I deliberately commit to meditation I use soft ambient sound to assist. There are many varieties on YouTube. The following is one of my favorites:

[youtube]2ZdlLh-Oc5k[/youtube]

I initially concentrate on my own brea ...[text shortened]... singularity at this point. But, I choose to personalize meditation to my own therapeutic advantage.
    Very interesting, I will go through the video again. I find that rain in itself has a soothing effect. In the summer, when there are many dry, sunny days in a row I can get slightly nervous. I find myself wishing there would be rainy days soon so that I can find inner stillness.
  14. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    06 May '20 18:34
    @torunn said
    Very interesting, I will go through the video again. I find that rain in itself has a soothing effect. In the summer, when there are many dry, sunny days in a row I can get slightly nervous. I find myself wishing there would be rainy days soon so that I can find inner stillness.
    Ah, but that would make the people of Manchester amongst the calmest in the world!
  15. Gothenburg
    Moves
    06 May '20 18:58
    @petewxyz said
    Ah, but that would make the people of Manchester amongst the calmest in the world!
    There's got to be a little rain sometimes... Imagine days or weeks of continuous sunshine. Very welcome the first week or two but then, don't we get tired of always spending time outside? I know of places that have more rain than others - Bergen in Norway for example, Borås in Sweden.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree