Oooh! Look. A flying ..... 😀

-m 😉
    Welcome as ever. 🙂
  3. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    16 Apr '13 18:30
    Originally posted by FMF
    Yes they are. If I was more motivated, I would provide more details! The one-is-right and the-other-is-wrong thing is probably the result of thousands of ELT teachers, over the decades, making up A Rule because they felt they ought to when cornered by students... who often have trouble processing the English language's idiosyncrasy-strewn reality and crave 'A Ru ...[text shortened]... e' mood is indicated by the use of the past tense, whether it's 'was' or 'were'.
    I think you'll find this article helpful:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_subjunctive
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Apr '13 23:011 edit
    Originally posted by HandyAndy
    I think you'll find this article helpful:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_subjunctive
    Maybe someone should go and edit wikipedia.

edit: although this bit seems to reflect reality:

"The main use of the past subjunctive form is in counterfactual if clauses:
    If I were a woman, I would choose that color. He would let us know if he were planning to arrive late. Note that the indicative form was can be used equally well in sentences of this type, but were is sometimes preferred especially in more formal English."
  5. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    16 Apr '13 23:06
    Originally posted by HandyAndy
    All of this is hearsay. Your gender is undetermined.
    Only in your own mind sunshine! 😛
  6. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    20 Apr '13 01:241 edit
    Originally posted by mikelom

I adore flying compliments.

Oooh! Look. A flying .....

-m 😉
    Hey, Mike, Found An "Intellectual Duet" Perfect for You and GB:

YouTube

Please Be Sure to Stay On Stage for The Applause!!
  7. SubscriberPonderableonline
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    24 Apr '13 10:45
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Okay, Okay, You Dudes and Dudettes Play Rough. Let's Try One More Easy Set of Five Fibber Statements for The Gipper: 1. The Body Color of Most North American Ducks is Sometimes Dark Purple; 2. Black Bears are Very Strong but Ducks are Even Stronger; 3. You Can't Get Down from An Elephant but Can From a Duck; 4. Tigers and Lions Would be No Match for An ...[text shortened]... s Will Be Disqualied On The Spot.

That Includes[hidden][b]YOU
    [/hidden]Got That?!
    -B.[/b]
    So the statements are ambigious enough to allow all interpretations.

1. The body color is probably the body not the feathers? oris it?
    2. "Strong" in respect to what absolute force of what exactly? Or relatively (what muscle in relation to what weight, length...?
    3. what constitutes "being on an elephant" or "being on a duck"? Is "cold turkey" a duck by definition that ducks encompass all fowls or any sneaky definition????
    4. Of course a tiger or a lion is no match for an enrgaed duck, since neither animal can fight well swimming or flying...
    5.Evidently if only one of the statements are true this is trivial, since it states just that: either I (the fifth statemnt) am true or one oof the others.

So maybe for the intellectual challenged like me a set of statement with stricter definition would do?
  8. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    24 Apr '13 13:353 edits
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    So the statements are ambigious enough to allow all interpretations.

1. The body color is probably the body not the feathers? oris it?
    2. "Strong" in respect to what absolute force of what exactly? Or relatively (what muscle in relation to what weight, length...?
    3. what constitutes "being on an elephant" or "being on a duck"? Is "cold turkey" a duck by ...[text shortened]... or the intellectual challenged like me a set of statement with stricter definition would do?
    "3. What constitutes "being on an elephant" or "being on a duck"?"

"Let's Try One More Easy Set of Five Fibber Statements for The Gipper:"
    1. The Body Color of Most North American Ducks is Sometimes Dark Purple; False
    2. Black Bears are Very Strong but Ducks are Even Stronger; False
    3. a) You Can't Get Down from An Elephant; b) but Can Get Down From a Duck; False*
    4. Tigers and Lions Would be No Match for An Enraged Male Duck in The Heat of The Moment; False
    5. All Four Statements [1. through 4.] are Incorrect."True

*Comment: "You Can Get "Down" from Elephants in the Physical Sense of Climbing Down (with or without assistance) but you Can't Get "Down" from Elephants in the Technical (Soft Feather Flesh Covering) Sense which Does Apply In the Overall Context to The Species of Birds and Ducks. Because of This Imbedded Contradiction, Statement 3 Remains Partially True and Partially False. Therefore, Statement 5 Stands Alone as The Only One Statement of The Five Statements Which is Completely “True”.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Down_feather

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree