Gravies only please!

General

rural North Dakota

Moves
15 Nov 08

Originally posted by rbmorris
Rutgers...good man.

😀
Hey! My son-in-law got his PHD there! I see some southern boys here with the sausage gravy and red-eye gravy. I was the youngest of four daughters, and we each had our own special to add to a big meal. Since I was the baby of the family by several years, I got the easiest job....making gravy! But! Do I make good gravy? Better believe it! I save all my meat drippings and freeze them. I add a little water in the pan so as to not miss any first. For Thanksgiving dinner you want alot of gravy because people usually like some over their stuffing (dressing, to some of us). You can add a can of Cream of Chicken soup if there are alot of folks around the table. But be sure to get all that good brown stuff in the bottom and along the sides of the roaster first. That is what makes the good flavor.

Vampyroteuthis

Infernalis

Moves
15 Nov 08

Originally posted by patrickrutgers
a Rutgerian yourself?
I am. 🙂

New Brunswick campus.

rural North Dakota

Moves
15 Nov 08

I am. 🙂

New Brunswick campus.
I am from North Dakota but my daughter worked at the Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, met her future husband at a church in Woodbridge. A couple of years later my first granddaughter was born in New Brunswick, and a few months later her daddy got his degree. Small world. I first viewed the campus there after a huge storm knocked over some trees. My plane had flown over the storm that hit an hour after I arrived. We had the most spectacular clouds coming out of Minneapoplis! It was awesome flying between them. That must have been 1987.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
15 Nov 08

Originally posted by leisurelysloth
Chicken-fried steak slathered heavily with country (or sausage) gravy. A heart-attack served up steaming hot on a plate. What better way to start your day? Yum! 😛
Oh god, sausage gravy and biscuits are my favorite breakfast. I only have them once in a while though. If I ate them every day, I'd soon be as wide as I am tall, hehe.

Moves
15 Nov 08

I just moved to New Jersey. Here, they call tomato sauce "gravy." I just can't get used to that.😵
in denver pepper sauce is gravy......or at least in was at chillies.

Moves
15 Nov 08

Originally posted by Suzianne
Oh god, sausage gravy and biscuits are my favorite breakfast.
holy jesus....😞

Vampyroteuthis

Infernalis

Moves
16 Nov 08

Originally posted by ale1552
I am from North Dakota but my daughter worked at the Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, met her future husband at a church in Woodbridge. A couple of years later my first granddaughter was born in New Brunswick, and a few months later her daddy got his degree. Small world. I first viewed the campus there after a huge storm knocked over some trees. My plane ...[text shortened]... ouds coming out of Minneapoplis! It was awesome flying between them. That must have been 1987.
I used to ride my bike past RWJ every day. Very nice facility.

Vampyroteuthis

Infernalis

Moves
16 Nov 08

I just moved to New Jersey. Here, they call tomato sauce "gravy." I just can't get used to that.😵
I miss Jersey tomatoes. Last summer when I was at the Jersey shore, I ate tomato sandwiches every day for lunch on the beach.

Pale Yellow Star!

Minneapolis

Moves
16 Nov 08
1 edit

I miss Jersey tomatoes. Last summer when I was at the Jersey shore, I ate tomato sandwiches every day for lunch on the beach.
The tomatoes are spectacular. Though I've had disputes with folks here over the relative merits of Jersey corn v. Minnesota corn. Are in Canada now? Where abouts?

Pale Yellow Star!

Minneapolis

Moves
16 Nov 08

Originally posted by ale1552
Hey! My son-in-law got his PHD there! I see some southern boys here with the sausage gravy and red-eye gravy. I was the youngest of four daughters, and we each had our own special to add to a big meal. Since I was the baby of the family by several years, I got the easiest job....making gravy! But! Do I make good gravy? Better believe it! I save all my m ...[text shortened]... tuff in the bottom and along the sides of the roaster first. That is what makes the good flavor.
I'm getting a PhD here now and I moved here from Minneapolis! Look how gravy ties everything together, like when you pour it over stuffing, potatoes and turkey!

The water in the pan first...good idea!

And collecting a freezing the drippings...that's just some hardcore gravy making.

Pale Yellow Star!

Minneapolis

Moves
16 Nov 08

Originally posted by trev33
in denver pepper sauce is gravy......or at least in was at chillies.
In Minneaota, where I'm from, pepper is exotic. What's pepper sauce? Tobasco?

Moves
16 Nov 08
1 edit

In Minneaota, where I'm from, pepper is exotic. What's pepper sauce? Tobasco?
i mean black pepper.

in europe, hell even in s. america pepper sauce is a mixture of gravy, cream, onion and crushed black pepper. although made from gravy its never called a gravy...its a sauce.

anyway the stuff in denver was white...tasted a bit similar but was a lot thicker than normal pepper sauce which is supposed to be a grayish color.

rural North Dakota

Moves
16 Nov 08

I used to ride my bike past RWJ every day. Very nice facility.
What year was that? She worked there until 1990. Their second daughter was born in British Columbia and the third one was born in Moscow, Idaho. My daughter got her degree last year, and now she and her husband both work at the U of I where daughter #1 is a student. My son-in-law was born at Atlantic City, BTW. They are both good cooks, as is my other daughter and my son. I need to copy down some of these gravy recipes....yummy!

rural North Dakota

Moves
16 Nov 08

I'm getting a PhD here now and I moved here from Minneapolis! Look how gravy ties everything together, like when you pour it over stuffing, potatoes and turkey!

The water in the pan first...good idea!

And collecting a freezing the drippings...that's just some hardcore gravy making.
Hi Minnesota! Speaking of gravy. I have had friends who made disastrous slop and called it gravy. One made a thick paste out of grease, another fancies herself to be a great cook and had us to Thanksgiving dinner a few years back. The turkey was half immersed in water in an aluminum kettle that was in the oven. She asked me to make the gravy out of a gallon of broth. Yuk! The Cream of Chicken soup I asked for couldn't even save that mess. At another meal she served us... roast beef... she gave the beautiful brown pan drippings to the dog! What a sacrilege.:'(

Vampyroteuthis

Infernalis

Moves
16 Nov 08

The tomatoes are spectacular. Though I've had disputes with folks here over the relative merits of Jersey corn v. Minnesota corn. Are in Canada now? Where abouts?
Nah, I'm in California now. Grew up and went to school in northern NJ though, close to NY City.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.