1. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    04 Jul '14 20:521 edit
    Originally posted by Sahuaro
    It's not just that no book has been found. I immediately found two sources (there are more) who declare that (a) two quotes from different people were combined into one quote, and (b) Sir Alex Fraser Tytler didn't write either one. They are attributed to a number of other people.

Since the governmental models we have today were fledgling when this guy w ...[text shortened]... Where have you seen this cycle happen in a civilization? Why do you believe it is inevitable?
    Please see my reply to HandyAndy moments ago. You're well read; I appreciate the erudition you bring to this forum.

Note: Especially "The Seven Signs of a Falling Nation" (and the Roman Empire's decline relative to ours today).
  2. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    04 Jul '14 21:12
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [b]"Seven Signs of A Falling Nation"

http://realtruth.org/articles/070831-002-ssoafn.html

"Societal Collapse"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Societal_collapse

"History of Europe"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Europe

Thanks for your opinion.[/b]
    Which of them asserts that the fatal sequence is a principle of democratic government?
  3. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    04 Jul '14 21:18
    Originally posted by HandyAndy
    Which of them asserts that the fatal sequence is a principle of democratic government?
    Human beings are born free; only governments with an imbalance of power take that freedom away immediately or gradually. Rome fell gradually. Great Britain and the United States of America have declined since World War II.
  4. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    04 Jul '14 21:19
    Please make the time to read these site texts thoughtfully.
  5. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    04 Jul '14 21:52
    Please make the time to read these site texts thoughtfully.
    I will, Bobby, and I assume you have as well. Which of your sources asserts that the fatal sequence
    is a principle of democratic government? We can agree that civilizations rise and fall, but you singled
    out democracy as a particular candidate for collapse. Please point me to the source.
  6. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    04 Jul '14 22:05
  7. Joined
    10 May '07
    Moves
    04 Jul '14 22:08
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9KZ3jgbbmI
    Wonderful
  8. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    04 Jul '14 22:101 edit
    I will, Bobby, and I assume you have as well. Which of your sources asserts that the fatal sequence
    is a principle of democratic government? We can agree that civilizations rise and fall, but you singled
    out democracy as a particular candidate for collapse. Please point me to the source.
    All three. The texts are too lengthy to post.
  9. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    05 Jul '14 00:10
    All three. The texts are too lengthy to post.
    Thanks for the tip about reading thoughtfully, Bobby. It makes so much difference. By the way,
    I can't find any reference to the fatal sequence being a principle of democratic government, even
    remotely. Where did you find it? At least give me a chapter heading or some other signpost.
  10. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    05 Jul '14 00:43
    Thanks for the tip about reading thoughtfully, Bobby. It makes so much difference. By the way,
    I can't find any reference to the fatal sequence being a principle of democratic government, even
    remotely. Where did you find it? At least give me a chapter heading or some other signpost.
    Ever read Edward Gibbons? Perhaps we're on different pages. Chatham, Massachusetts, has a big small town celebration.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_History_of_the_Decline_and_Fall_of_the_Roman_Empire
  11. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    05 Jul '14 02:171 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Aye lass, but the entire mantra 'no taxation without representation', itself was fraudulent because who really got representation after independence? Only if you were propertied, that left out women, native Americans, African Americans and most common men.
    Oh come on... you can't be that naive. Do you believe women, native Americans, African Americans and most common men could have immediately had those rights overnight? A new form of governing was instituted that in relatively short course allowed these rights to become available to everyone. I doubt many of the framers of our constitution foresaw some of the changes this document would allow, but I also doubt many of them would be very surprised to see those changes if they were alive today.

Human nature being what it is it takes a lot of time for fundamental changes to take place, if those changes happen at all. The salient point here is that it did happen, because (as a free people) we had the flexibility to make those changes without too much government interference getting in the way. And as weird as this might sound we don't have that same kind of flexibility today... largely in part because we've had leaders who don't understand constitutional principles or worse, choose to dismiss and ignore those principles.

Okay, that's my 4th of July speech... now let's all get back to our usual monkey business.
  12. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    05 Jul '14 02:452 edits
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Sounds like you have some kind of chip on your shoulder about something.

C'mon, let's hear it.
    It's an historical fact. The way many of our fellow Americans talk you might think our way of life will last forever. Past history does not confirm this, but we can presume we are the exception to historical precedence and will not be following the same pattern... actually, we are free to believe all sorts of unrealistic crap, so why not believe that as well? lol
  13. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    05 Jul '14 03:55
    Ever read Edward Gibbons? Perhaps we're on different pages. Chatham, Massachusetts, has a big small town celebration.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_History_of_the_Decline_and_Fall_of_the_Roman_Empire
    Just as I thought, Bobby. You're talking through your hat again. It's especially sad that you picked
    today, July 4th, to badmouth democracy and tarnish it with misinformation. But along with your right
    to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, you also have the right to be ungrateful and stupid.
  14. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    05 Jul '14 03:58
    Originally posted by lemon lime
    It's an historical fact. The way many of our fellow Americans talk you might think our way of life will last forever. Past history does not confirm this, but we can presume we are the exception to historical precedence and will not be following the same pattern... actually, we are free to believe all sorts of unrealistic crap, so why not believe that as well? lol
    I think you should move to Mexico, just to be on the safe side.
  15. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    05 Jul '14 04:141 edit
    "Seven Signs of A Falling Nation"

http://realtruth.org/articles/070831-002-ssoafn.html
    I note that your chief source, Real Truth magazine, is sponsored by The Restored Church of God.

Any legitimate historians in that crowd? I didn't think so.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree