Holiday reading recs

Holiday reading recs

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Read a book!

Moves
12 Jun 14

Europe: A History - Norman Davies

Moves
12 Jun 14

Originally posted by HandyAndy
I've recently become "slightly" European, so this would be of interest.

N

Moves
12 Jun 14

It would have to be a very long holiday...

N

Moves
12 Jun 14

Originally posted by Paul Dirac II
Any book with A. C. Clarke's name on it.
Or I. Asimov.

N

Moves
12 Jun 14

As for thrillers, you could try Alistair MacLean, although he died in 1987 so you won't read about the latest technology.

Read a book!

Moves
12 Jun 14

Originally posted by divegeester
I've recently become "slightly" European, so this would be of interest.
It's a good read, but allow some extra time. It's a smidge under 1,400 pages.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
12 Jun 14

Originally posted by divegeester
I'm off for a couple of weeks from Sunday (going to watch the World Cup with the Spaniards). Any recs on good reads? I like SiFi, Clarkson's musings and enjoyed Angels and Demons a few years ago.
"Shibumi: A Novel Paperback Trevanian (Author) Paperback, 480 pages.
Published May 10th 2005 by Broadway Books (first published 1979)

"Nicholai Hel is the world’s most wanted man. Born in Shanghai during the chaos of World War I, he is the son of an aristocratic Russian mother and a mysterious German father and is the protégé of a Japanese Go master. Hel survived the destruction of Hiroshima to emerge as the world’s most artful lover and its most accomplished—and well-paid—assassin. Hel is a genius, a mystic, and a master of language and culture, and his secret is his determination to attain a rare kind of personal excellence, a state of effortless perfection known only as shibumi.

Now living in an isolated mountain fortress with his exquisite mistress, Hel is unwillingly drawn back into the life he’d tried to leave behind when a beautiful young stranger arrives at his door, seeking help and refuge. It soon becomes clear that Hel is being tracked by his most sinister enemy—a supermonolith of international espionage known only as the Mother Company. The battle lines are drawn: ruthless power and corruption on one side, and on the other . . . shibumi."

http://www.amazon.com/Shibumi-A-Novel-Trevanian/dp/1400098033

Note: dive, enjoyed the plot and characters and intrigue so much that I read it twice in the 1980's. Rec'd!

N

Moves
12 Jun 14

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
[b]"Shibumi: A Novel Paperback Trevanian (Author) Paperback, 480 pages.

"Nicholai Hel is the world’s most wanted man. Born in Shanghai during the chaos of World War I, he is the son of an aristocratic Russian mother and a mysterious German father and is the protégé of a Japanese ...[text shortened]... enjoyed the plot and characters and intrigue so much that I read it twice in the 1980's. Rec'd![/b]
Glad to hear you're wrecked—everyone needs to let their hair down once in a while.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
13 Jun 14

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
No but i have issues with people who are humorless and cannot mind their own business. Why you feel the necessity to cast your disparaging shadow upon some poor ragged clown with your gelid tentacles intent on strangling the humanity out of him i cannot say, but i merrily skip upon my way gleeful in the knowledge that even such a great darkness cannot overcome even a flickering light. 😵
You are SO insipidly stupid.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
13 Jun 14
1 edit

[b]"Shibumi: A Novel Paperback Trevanian (Author) Paperback, 480 pages.

"Nicholai Hel is the world’s most wanted man. Born in Shanghai during the chaos of World War I, he is the son of an aristocratic Russian mother and a mysterious German father and is the protégé of a Japanese ...[text shortened]... enjoyed the plot and characters and intrigue so much that I read it twice in the 1980's. Rec'd![/b]
Nice, an Asian James Bond?

Is this the same Trevanian who wrote "The Eiger Sanction"?

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
13 Jun 14

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
Its retribution for what they did to the Barron, they treated him with disrespect, a fellow artist and poet just like you and I! just a ragged clown chasing shadows, until he was gunned down! Russ held the gun to his head, subscribe or be banned! but the Barron would not conform to his evil mind ray and vigorously resisting reincarnated himself in a ...[text shortened]... n until ruthlessly smoked out by super girl and the cowboy! I hold them personally responsible!
"Oh, he's just like any other stupid man, only more so."

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
13 Jun 14

It's a good read, but allow some extra time. It's a smidge under 1,400 pages.
Another long one I would recommend is "Shogun", by James Clavell.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
13 Jun 14

Originally posted by Suzianne
Nice, an Asian James Bond?

Is this the same Trevanian who wrote "The Eiger Sanction"?
The Eiger Sanction: A Novel Paperback Trevanian (Author)

"Jonathan Hemlock lives in a renovated Gothic church on Long Island. He is an art professor, a mountain climber, and a mercenary, performing assassinations (i.e., sanctions) for money to augment his black-market art collection. Now Hemlock is being tricked into a hazardous assignment that involves an attempt to scale one of the most treacherous mountain peaks in the Swiss Alps, the Eiger.

In a breathtakingly suspenseful story that is part thriller and part satire, the author traces Hemlock’s spine-tingling adventures, introducing a cast of intriguing characters—villains, traitors, beautiful women—into the highly charged atmosphere of danger. The accumulating threads of suspicion, accusation, and evidence gradually knit themselves into a bizarre and death-defying climax in this exciting, entertaining novel that will keep readers on the edge of their seats until the last absorbing page." http://www.amazon.com/The-Eiger-Sanction-A-Novel/dp/1400098025

Yes, Suzi. The novel was also made into a movie starring Clint Eastwood.

rc

Moves
13 Jun 14

Originally posted by Suzianne
You are SO insipidly stupid.
Right you are Barbie 😲

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
13 Jun 14

[b]The Eiger Sanction: A Novel Paperback Trevanian (Author)

"Jonathan Hemlock lives in a renovated Gothic church on Long Island. He is an art professor, a mountain climber, and a mercenary, performing assassinations (i.e., sanctions) for money to augment his black-market art collection. Now Hemlock is being tricked into a hazardous assignment tha ...[text shortened]... -Novel/dp/1400098025

Yes, Suzi. The novel was also made into a movie starring Clint Eastwood.[/b]
I read all of Ian Fleming's original Bond series, along with several of Alistair Maclean's novels. I also read The Eiger Sanction (and yes, the book is better than the movie) and if this Shibumi is anything like that was, then this would be a good recommendation.