1. Subscriberradioactive69
    Fun, fun fun!!
    On the beach
    Moves
    09 Nov '15 12:58
    Originally posted by FMF
    The choices would not be denied or reduced; they would still be here but in one place., Indeed, if it served to rekindle interest in 'Culture' and 'Sports' topics it could just as easily result in an increased choice of topics to talk about.
    If you give up one forum sooner or later they will all be eroded down to one from someone else squalling that this forum should be included in the general forum etc. If I was a person interested in sport (which I am) and wanted to comment on a forum about it I certainly wouldn't want to go trawling through a thousand word game threads to find the thread I'm interested in. We

We have the luxury of quite a few forums to choose on here (gradually being reduced). Do not give up the luxury to have them as once gone they'll never be back.

If there is more than one forum, you have a choice. If there is only one forum you don't. Lets keep the luxury of having a choice.
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Nov '15 13:03
    Originally posted by radioactive69
    If there is more than one forum, you have a choice. If there is only one forum you don't. Lets keep the luxury of having a choice.
    No one is proposing that there is only one forum. I think there should be eleven forums.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Nov '15 13:12
    If you give up one forum sooner or later they will all be eroded down to one from someone else squalling that this forum should be included in the general forum etc.

This is about as ludicrous a 'slippery slope' argument as I've ever heard.

If I was a person interested in sport (which I am) and wanted to comment on a forum about it I certainly wouldn't want to go trawling through a thousand word game threads to find the thread I'm interested in.

There aren't a thousand word game threads to trawl through. There a couple on the first page of 30 thread titles. Then there are three or four on the second page of 30 thread titles. Your "thousand word game threads" thing is nonsense.

We have the luxury of quite a few forums to choose on here (gradually being reduced).

What reductions are you referring to?
  4. Subscriberradioactive69
    Fun, fun fun!!
    On the beach
    Moves
    09 Nov '15 14:06
    Originally posted by FMF

We have the luxury of quite a few forums to choose on here (gradually being reduced).

What reductions are you referring to?[/b]
    You gotta get out from that rock you've been hiding under. Are you not aware that there has been a reduction in forums on the site?
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Nov '15 14:10
    You gotta get out from that rock you've been hiding under. Are you not aware that there has been a reduction in forums on the site?
    How many have gone? Was it a reflection of the significant reduction of interest in these forums and, indeed, reduction in interest in this site as a whole?

I am proposing eleven forums. You think it should be thirteen? More?
  6. Subscriberradioactive69
    Fun, fun fun!!
    On the beach
    Moves
    09 Nov '15 15:00
    Originally posted by FMF
    How many have gone? Was it a reflection of the significant reduction of interest in these forums and, indeed, reduction in interest in this site as a whole?

I am proposing eleven forums. You think it should be thirteen? More?
    No probs. Russ can just file that in the little round filing cabinet next to his desk where he files all your other suggestions.
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    09 Nov '15 17:24
    Originally posted by FMF
    The choices would not be denied or reduced; they would still be here but in one place., Indeed, if it served to rekindle interest in 'Culture' and 'Sports' topics it could just as easily result in an increased choice of topics to talk about.
    Such interest would be easily disguised in the twaddle that is the General Forum.

But that's your intent, isn't it? Bury anything interesting in mountains of debris.

Putting those topics in their own forum highlights them far better than mashing them into a forum already filled with detritus.

Your argument can easily be used as one that espouses having only one forum. This is ridiculous.
  8. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    09 Nov '15 17:32
    Originally posted by FMF
    What's wrong with the idea? The two forums I mentioned are relatively moribund and the wider range of topics that would be raised here might breathe additional life into the General Forum. What would be your specific objection?
    I've already highlighted my objections if you would care to actually read them.

The biggest one is that you want these two forums to disappear only because these two forums are "moribund" TO YOU. And we've all been treated to just how out of touch you are numerous times already, we don't need any further elaboration on this point.

Others enjoy these forums. That YOU do not is zero reason to eliminate them.
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    09 Nov '15 20:52
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [b]If You Personally Owned Red Hot Pawn

"If You Personally Owned Red Hot Pawn" what if any changes
    would you make to its present policies governing:

1) "Subscriptions"
    2) "Rating Tables"
    3) "Forums"
    4) "Clans"
    5) "Clubs"

6) "Chess Blogs"
    7) "Send Feedback"
    8) "Site FAQ"
    9) "Help Forum"
    10) "Site Map"

11) "On Twitter"
    12) "On Fa ...[text shortened]... future?

Request: Please remain focused on the thread's topic and objective.[/b]
    I would get paid at a minimum $50 for every post I contibute on these forums.

Naturally, I would collect these funds in a Progressive way starting with the richest of the posters here so they can pay their fair share.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Nov '15 23:58
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Others enjoy these forums. That YOU do not is zero reason to eliminate them.
    They do so in tiny numbers. Take a look at the top page of thread titles for both forums. If the topics they enjoy were in the General Forum, they would generate more interest and draw more people in. Furthermore, the General Forum would benefit from the richer, wider topics.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 Nov '15 00:00
    No probs. Russ can just file that in the little round filing cabinet next to his desk where he files all your other suggestions.
    How many forums have disappeared - what reduction has there been?
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 Nov '15 00:03
    Such interest would be easily disguised in the twaddle that is the General Forum.[...]
    Your argument can easily be used as one that espouses having only one forum. This is ridiculous.
    Well I am suggesting that including sports and culture topics more explicitly into the General Forum's portfolio would be to the benefit of the General Forum and so, if there is a "twaddle" problem, as you claim, then surely this might e a good way of tackling it.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 Nov '15 00:06
    I do not propose having only one forum, so you can attack that idea all you want. I think eleven forums is about right. Nothing I've said can be characterized as meaning that I only want one and I don't know of anyone who thinks there should only be one.
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    10 Nov '15 07:371 edit
    Not sure if this has come up already, but the Clubs forum seems to be a waste of server space.
  15. Subscriberradioactive69
    Fun, fun fun!!
    On the beach
    Moves
    10 Nov '15 07:45
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Not sure if this has come up already, but the Clubs forum seems to be a waste of server space.
    You're not wrong there. Clan forum where paying members play in clan games and enjoy friendly banter. GONE. Club forum full of non paying members wasting space that members have paid for. OPEN. I think you'll see an exodus of paying members changing over to non paying members over the next 12 months. I'll be one of them. Can't blame them either.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree