1. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    21 Dec '15 16:10
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    "Probably about the same as when divegeester said:'You're such a dick-head'." ~child anon's Mum
    Hey Mum -- Dickhead is one word, no hyphen.
  2. Mar-a-Lago
    Moves
    21 Dec '15 16:21
    Originally posted by HandyAndy
    well spotted
  3. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    21 Dec '15 16:43
    Originally posted by Captain Strange
    well spotted
    cheetah

Oooops, wrong thread.🙄😳
  4. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    21 Dec '15 21:471 edit
    Originally posted by HandyAndy
    Originally posted by divegeester (Page 69)
    "You're such a dick-head." <---?
  5. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    22 Dec '15 02:15
    <---?
    Shame on you, Mum! Are you blaming someone else for your mistake?
  6. Joined
    23 Nov '09
    Moves
    22 Dec '15 07:30
    Originally posted by divegeester (Page 69)
    "You're such a [b]dick-head."
    <---?[/b]
    What was it again you said about abusing the quote function ? You are truly a hypocrite.
  7. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    22 Dec '15 07:342 edits
    "Jennifer Golbeck Ph.D. Your Online Secrets
    Are You an Internet Troll?

A simple four-question survey can rate how much of a troll you are online.

Yesterday I posted about a study that describes internet trolls as narcissistic, sadistic, and psychopathic. A lot of people commented about their own internet behavior, wondering if their provocative comments count as "trolling." (And judging by the comments that article received, some readers certainly qualify as trolls). Some people questioned if simply making a disruptive comment counted as trolling.

Fortunately, there is a technical answer to those questions! In the same study from yesterday, the authors introduced a measure of someone's trolliness (that's my term, not theirs). They call it the Global Assessment of Internet Trolling (GAIT). Subjects in their study were shown these four statements:

1.I have sent people to shock websites for the lulz.
    2.I like to troll people in forums or the comments section of websites.
    3.I enjoy griefing other players in multiplayer games.
    4.The more beautiful and pure a thing is, the more satisfying it is to corrupt.

The first three statements measure enjoyment and experience with trolling, and the last one measures how closely someone identifies with the trolling "culture."

Subjects were asked to rate how well each statement described them on a five-point scale from 1 (strongly disagree) to 5 (strongly agree). The average of a person's ratings for these four statements became their GAIT, or trolliness, score.

The main idea is that trolls are people who make comments to upset others because they find joy in upsetting people. It's not just that the comments are disruptive or provocative - it is that the poster makes them with the intent of enjoying the suffering of others.

I talked to one of the authors of the study, and she gave me some data you can use for comparison. Among people who make online comments, the mean GAIT score in their data was 1.47 (on a 1-5 scale), with a standard deviation of 0.78. Among everyone in their study (commenters and non-commenters alike), the mean GAIT score was 1.54 (basically the same).

Remember - 1 is the lowest possible score a person could get, since people are rating those statements on a 1-5 scale. Thus, most people are scoring quite low. According to the author, if your score is over 2.25 (roughly one standard deviation above the mean), that would be pretty high.

She also sent me one more interesting insights. When people had a GAIT score under 3, there was a mix of sadists and non-sadists. Once the GAIT score climbed above 3.5, everyone in that range was highly sadistic (according to other tests they administered).

So - want to know if you're a troll? Rate yourself honestly on those 4 statements, average your ratings, and you have a trolliness score. If it's over 2.25, you're trollier than a lot of people in the original study, and if it's much over 3, you're probably solidly in troll category.

References: [1] Buckels, Erin E., Paul D. Trapnell, and Delroy L. Paulhus. "Trolls just want to have fun." Personality and Individual Differences 67 (2014): 97-102".https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/your-online-secrets/201409/are-you-internet-troll
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    22 Dec '15 07:50
    [b]Are You an Internet Troll?

Yesterday I posted about a study that describes internet trolls as narcissistic, sadistic, and psychopathic. A lot of people commented about their own internet behavior, wondering if their provoc ...[text shortened]... : 97-102".https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/your-online-secrets/201409/are-you-internet-troll[/b]
    The main idea is that trolls are people who make comments to upset others because they find joy in upsetting people.

Has someone upset you again Grampy Bobby?
  9. Joined
    23 Nov '09
    Moves
    22 Dec '15 11:53
    [b]Are You an Internet Troll?

Yesterday I posted about a study that describes internet trolls as narcissistic, sadistic, and psychopathic. A lot of people commented about their own internet behavior, wondering if their provoc ...[text shortened]... : 97-102".https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/your-online-secrets/201409/are-you-internet-troll[/b]
    More copy paste crap.
  10. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    22 Dec '15 16:29
    Originally posted by Kegge
    More copy paste crap.
    So why waste your time reading it? How long has it been since you yourself created a viable thread on this forum?
  11. Joined
    23 Nov '09
    Moves
    22 Dec '15 19:29
    So why waste your time reading it? How long has it been since you yourself created a viable thread on this forum?
    How long has it been since you have created a viable thread on this forum?
  12. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    02 Jan '16 18:53
    How long has it been since you have created a viable thread on this forum?
    Probably not since the first one a few months after I joined Red Hot Pawn in July, 2007.
  13. Joined
    23 Nov '09
    Moves
    02 Jan '16 20:25
    Probably not since the first one a few months after I joined Red Hot Pawn in July, 2007.
    Thought so.
  14. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    07 Jan '16 04:40
    More copy paste crap.
    @Kegge: Last Post: "03 Jan '16 05:37"

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree