01 Jul '20 11:10
    What's the best way to cook them? 🤔
  2. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    01 Jul '20 11:29
    @great-big-stees said
    Maybe I'm just Mr Can-Opener but if you get tins of kippers and mix them up with rice, fry with a bit of spice or even just mix with a bit of coleslaw and in an interesting sauce (I love hoisin) that is quick and good. Smoked fish in combination with rice takes your mind to comfort food. I know a pub in Cheshire which does kedgeree and you get a reference to that sort of flavour. In fact I am now thinking I'm going to do an experiment frying the smoked fish and rice combination with some egg and see how that comes out??
  3. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    01 Jul '20 11:34
    @petewxyz said
    Maybe I'm just Mr Can-Opener but if you get tins of kippers and mix them up with rice, fry with a bit of spice or even just mix with a bit of coleslaw and in an interesting sauce (I love hoisin) that is quick and good. Smoked fish in combination with rice takes your mind to comfort food. I know a pub in Cheshire which does kedgeree and you get a reference to that sort of fla ...[text shortened]... an experiment frying the smoked fish and rice combination with some egg and see how that comes out??
    The kippers I bought are frozen. I will defrost a couple and try your suggestion. I'm guessing that they don't need to be cooked too long, maybe a minute or so each side? Hey, I just thought of something, my mind is getting forgetful, I could have just "goggled" it eh? Silly me. 😲 😀
  4. Joined
    28 Jul '07
    Moves
    01 Jul '20 11:36
    @petewxyz said
    Maybe I'm just Mr Can-Opener but if you get tins of kippers and mix them up with rice, fry with a bit of spice or even just mix with a bit of coleslaw and in an interesting sauce (I love hoisin) that is quick and good. Smoked fish in combination with rice takes your mind to comfort food. I know a pub in Cheshire which does kedgeree and you get a reference to that sort of fla ...[text shortened]... an experiment frying the smoked fish and rice combination with some egg and see how that comes out??
    The one lock down skill I have learned is how to make egg fried rice. (And I love it). It's nice with salmon or mackerel but better with chicken or duck. And mushrooms. But no kippers. (Sorry).
  5. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    01 Jul '20 11:42
    @great-big-stees said
    They are already cooked! 😳
  6. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    01 Jul '20 11:46
    @wolfgang59 said
    WHAT? 😲
  7. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    01 Jul '20 11:46
    @wolfgang59 said
    That was what I thought. It is eaten for breakfast in the north of Germany. (from the fridge)
  8. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    01 Jul '20 11:47
    @ponderable said
    That was what I thought. It is eaten for breakfast in the north of Germany. (from the fridge)
    Maybe I should have read the packaging eh? 🤔
  9. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    01 Jul '20 11:56
    @neilarini said
    The one lock down skill I have learned is how to make egg fried rice. (And I love it). It's nice with salmon or mackerel but better with chicken or duck. And mushrooms. But no kippers. (Sorry).
    Love egg fried rice. Mushrooms, chicken, prawn and onions, but why not kippers? I am gonna go for it. That sort of comfort food mixes with smoked fish flavour in my head. What's the worst that could happen??
  10. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    01 Jul '20 12:01
    Give them to the cat.
  11. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    01 Jul '20 12:20
    @trev33 said
    Give them to the cat.
    I never feed anything, to any of our pets, that I have not, personally, tried.
  12. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    01 Jul '20 13:05
    @wolfgang59 said
    I always thought they were smoked herring. Why eat herring when the sea gave us mackerel?
  13. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    01 Jul '20 13:051 edit
    @great-big-stees said
    I never feed anything, to any of our pets, that I have not, personally, tried.
    The cat won't mind 😉
  14. SubscriberChris Guffogg
    Alekhine's Gun
    🤔 Bolton
    Moves
    01 Jul '20 13:10

Removed by poster

15. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    01 Jul '20 14:39
    @great-big-stees said
    The kippers I bought are frozen. I will defrost a couple and try your suggestion. I'm guessing that they don't need to be cooked too long, maybe a minute or so each side? Hey, I just thought of something, my mind is getting forgetful, I could have just "goggled" it eh? Silly me. 😲 😀
    nah, just old age catching up with you gbs! 😉

-VR

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree