1. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    13 Dec '15 01:101 edit
    Originally posted by GHOST HUNTER
    I'd always heard that it referred to an incident during the invasion of Egypt in 168 BC by Antiochus IV Epiphanes of Syria. The Egyptians appealed to Rome for help, and instead of sending an army, they sent a single envoy - Gaius Popillius Laenas. He met Antiochus about four miles from Alexandria, and in front of his whole army, drew a line in the sand ar ...[text shortened]... ppilius demanded his answer before he stepped across the line. Antiochus withdrew his army to Syria.
    Yes, GH. Apparently we attended different likeminded schools of thought together at different times. Thanks for providing this historical perspective to a thread about to crash and burn. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antiochus_IV_Epiphanes / http://www.gotquestions.org/Antiochus-Epiphanes.html
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Dec '15 01:30
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Yes, GH. Apparently we attended different likeminded schools of thought together at different times. Thanks for providing this historical perspective to a thread about to crash and burn. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antiochus_IV_Epiphanes / http://www.gotquestions.org/Antiochus-Epiphanes.html
    Intellectually speaking, do you genuinely believe that the dichotomy described by Tony Robbins in your OP exists and is applied ~ where people either choose one side of "a line" or the other ~ to ordinary people's lives?
  3. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    13 Dec '15 03:09
    Originally posted by FMF
    Intellectually speaking, do you genuinely believe that the dichotomy described by Tony Robbins in your OP exists and is applied ~ where people either choose one side of "a line" or the other ~ to ordinary people's lives?
    "Is it safe?"
  4. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    13 Dec '15 03:231 edit
    Quote apropos to the internecine manner in which this once enjoyable forum has gradually devolved into the blurred "line in the sand" it's become::

"My Best Friend's Wedding (1997)":

"Julianne Potter: But that doesn't excuse any of it. I'm pond scum. Well, lower actually. I'm like the - the fungus that feeds on pond scum.

Michael O'Neill: Lower. The pus that infects the mucous... that cruds up the fungus... that feeds on the pond scum.
    On the other hand, thank you... for loving me that much. That way, it's - it's pretty flattering.

Julianne Potter: Except it makes me fungus.

George Downes: It's amazing the clarity that comes with psychotic jealousy."

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119738/quotes
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Dec '15 03:591 edit
    "Psychotic jealousy"? Why so evasive?
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Dec '15 04:01
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    "Is it safe?"
    This is not a topic that interests you, then, Suzianne?
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    13 Dec '15 07:361 edit
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Quote apropos to the internecine manner in which this once enjoyable forum has gradually devolved into the blurred "line in the sand" it's become::

"My Best Friend's Wedding (1997)":

"Julianne Potter: But that doesn't excuse any of it. I'm pond scum. Well, lower actually. I'm like the - the fungus that feeds on pond scum.

Michael O'Neill: Low ...[text shortened]... g the clarity that comes with psychotic jealousy."

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119738/quotes
    Wow! "Psychotic jealously"...

Someone really has upset you this time haven't they.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Dec '15 11:551 edit
    Originally posted by HandyAndy
    Agreed. Set an example.
    Thankyou Andrew. Although i am not one to set myself up as some kind of paragon of virtue in the case of a needy reprobate like yourself I may make an exception because you appear to me to be in need of all the guidance you can glean from such a reputable source as myself.
  9. Joined
    29 Nov '15
    Moves
    13 Dec '15 12:13
    Originally posted by FMF
    i would say in happens every day, my "line in the sand" would be manners, if i am say in a queue in the post office or shop and some idiot tries to jump the queue, i would not stand for that, he or she would be told.
    might seem a small thing but it is important to me, and judging by the response i get from others it seems important to them, although they might not have the courage to actually act.
    two types of people in the world
    one side live by their own line in the sand, stick up for what is right
    the other side bury their head in the sand, normally the type who thumb down bobby no matter what he posts
  10. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    13 Dec '15 12:39
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Thankyou Andrew. Although i am not one to set myself us as some kind of paragon of virtue in the case of a needy reprobate like yourself I may make an exception because you appear to me to be in need of all the guidance you can glean from such a reputable source as myself.
    Lame example. 🙁 Try harder.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Dec '15 12:42
    the other side bury their head in the sand, normally the type who thumb down bobby no matter what he posts
    For you, thumbing down Grampy Bobby or not thumbing down Grampy Bobby would be a real life example of Robbins' dichotomy in the OP (civilization v savagery, one or the other)?
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Dec '15 12:44
    two types of people in the world
    the other side bury their head in the sand
    There's just these two types?
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Dec '15 13:11
    Originally posted by HandyAndy
    Lame example. 🙁 Try harder.
    Its a wretched pupil that does not surpass his master Andrew.
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    13 Dec '15 15:26
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Thankyou Andrew. Although i am not one to set myself up as some kind of paragon of virtue in the case of a needy reprobate like yourself I may make an exception because you appear to me to be in need of all the guidance you can glean from such a reputable source as myself.
    But you are widely thought of as being one of the most abusive posters here at RHP. Why on earth would anyone want to follow your example? Perhaps you have a particular thread in mind where you feel other posters can read and and gain "guidance" "from such a reputable source as yourself"?
  15. Joined
    29 Nov '15
    Moves
    13 Dec '15 17:34
    Originally posted by FMF
    There's just these two types?
    if a straight line is drawn in the sand, there is only one side of each side of the line, so there is a choice of two. obviously there will be lots of different types of people in each side. but this is not relevant to the discussion.
    two sides = two types, if you can not understand that i am sorry i can not dumb it down any more.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree