"line in the sand"

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GH

Moves
14 Dec 15

Originally posted by divegeester
For someone brand new to this site only last month you seem to have become very quickly embroiled in the personalities and forum politics - have you been here before cheeky...? 😉
different site same mentality. after getting many thumbs up "notifications" in my first few posts, i investigated a little.
the other site i play on, i will not name it as advertising is not allowed by this sites TOS. have huge posting restrictions, firstly you have to be a paying member secondly there are only private clubs to post in, the leader decides what is acceptable. here seems to have freedom of speech.
That"s what i first thought, but after seeing lots of "posts removed" i am not sure now. i like giving my views, not expecting everyone to agree, but if not better to post rather than just thumb down,
Again with regards to thumb downers, i never called them cowards, just said it was more likely to be members holding a grudge against a perticular player, i figured that out in my first week here, perhaps more uneducated members might have taken longer, for being smarter i am really sorry.
i trust that clarifies matters as i will struggle to dumb it down even more

rc

Moves
14 Dec 15
1 edit

Originally posted by wolfgang59
In 1807 or 1808, the Maori tribe Ngāti Whātua won a battle against their
Ngapuhi enemies on a beach at Moremonui in the far north of New Zealand.
One of the victorious chiefs, Taoho, drew a line in the sand with his spear
and ordered that no Ngapuhi were to be slain beyond that point. This battle,
the first of the Musket Wars, was called Te Kai ...[text shortened]... r, it is because
they think sardines will be thrown into the sea.

[b]Eric Cantona
[/b]
Eric Cantona - legend! Tyson Fury also legend.

GH

Moves
14 Dec 15

I read what you posted, which was:

"Someone replying directly to a post is much better than hiding behind a thumb don"t you think?"

That seems to me to be saying that the person hiding is too cowardly to post a reply. I don't think i'm twisting your words at all.
you are the only member using the coward word.

by thumbing down without posting a reason looks more likely to be a grudge or part of a pack, or perhaps just sticking up for a family member or close friend.
this is just my thoughts.

F

Moves
14 Dec 15

Originally posted by GHOST HUNTER
you are the only member using the coward word.
Grampy Bobby, as far as I recall, was the first member of this community to condemn thumbing him down as being "cowardly". I don't remember him ever condemning the thumbing down of anyone else.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
14 Dec 15

You really ought to spend less time on RHP.
It'll happen on or about January 6, 2016.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
14 Dec 15

Originally posted by FMF
It's you who seems to think that significant meaning is attached to them. You yourself suggested that the the type who thumb down Grampy Bobby are people who "bury their heads in the sand" and that they are on the other side of a "line" from where the people who "stick up for what is right" are. Do you think that thumbs up or down for Grampy Bobby actually mean these things, and if not, why did you post what you posted?
Your "confrontational courtroom" type of cross-examination posting is sooooo yesterday.

Maybe someday you'll try talking to people just as if they were... (wait for it)... people.

You know, instead of as if they were hostile witnesses.

GH

Moves
14 Dec 15

Originally posted by FMF
Grampy Bobby, as far as I recall, was the first member of this community to condemn thumbing him down as being "cowardly". I don't remember him ever condemning the thumbing down of anyone else.
if he does i will post i do not agree with him.
i might even do my first thumbs down, 😀
but then i will judge his next post on merit, not just hitting thumbs down like some seem to do, i do not mean you, i have total respect for all members who take the time to have their say on here

F

Moves
14 Dec 15

Originally posted by Suzianne
Your "confrontational courtroom" type of cross-examination posting is sooooo yesterday.

Maybe someday you'll try talking to people just as if they were... (wait for it)... people.

You know, instead of as if they were hostile witnesses.
Would you describe yourself as being opposed to people posting in a hostile and confrontational way?

F

Moves
14 Dec 15
2 edits

GHOST HUNTER (earlier): ..."thumbing down without posting a reason looks more likely to be a grudge or part of a pack, or perhaps just sticking up for a family member or close friend..." [...] "... to me it seems to have nothing to do with the current post but more of a vendetta..."
i will judge his next post on merit, not just hitting thumbs down like some seem to do, i do not mean you, i have total respect for all members who take the time to have their say on here
If you don't know who it is who's thumbing down people like me and Grampy Bobby, then how could you possibly know their motives?

GH

Moves
14 Dec 15

Originally posted by FMF
If you don't know who it is who's thumbing down people like me and Grampy Bobby, then how could you possibly know their motives?
the whole idea of the thumbs, well for me, should be for the posts merit
i find it interesting you use the word "motive" would you agree perhaps members just thumb you down without a reason, apart from the fact they might not like you or were offended by a previous post you made.
so what do you think. is it the post or the poster that gets the thumb?

F

Moves
14 Dec 15

i find it interesting you use the word "motive"...
Why? Is it not an apt word for what you have been talking about?

F

Moves
14 Dec 15
1 edit

...would you agree perhaps members just thumb you down without a reason, apart from the fact they might not like you or were offended by a previous post you made.
I don't know. I don't see how it matters one whit. What impact does speculating [on exactly why anyone does it] have on anything? Do you think the thumbs - up or down - affect-alter-influence anything? I don't see how they do.

F

Moves
14 Dec 15

so what do you think. is it the post or the poster that gets the thumb?
How is one to know? And what would be different if you did know?

GH

Moves
14 Dec 15

Originally posted by FMF
Why? Is it not an apt word for what you have been talking about?
i find it a strange word to use, you make it sound sinister, perhaps English is not you"re native tongue?
The only "motive" should be the merit of the post, not previous history

GH

Moves
14 Dec 15

Originally posted by FMF
How is one to know? And what would be different if you did know?
A huge difference
if an unpopular poster makes an interesting post, it will be hidden by the "pack" maybe some just read the recommended post section. it seems to be like "tactical voting" in a general election to me