1. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    14 Mar '18 06:54
    It's what you're brought up on. Aussie mothers fed their kids Vegemite because it was salty rather than sweet, and therefore seemed better for kids and teeth. Eventually nutella appeared but none of us Vegemite kids will eat it. We don't like any of the other versions and Vegemite-raised mothers go on feeding it to their own kids It's a good substitute for beef or vegetable stock and there's nothing like a big spoonful stirred into a cup of boiling water as a hearty cold-weather drink. Even today's reduced-salt recipe still has too much salt unless you like anchovies, which I do. I've never come across anyone who's acquired the taste in adulthood, but that goes for Nutella and peanut butter too.
  2. Subscribermoonbusonline
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    14 Mar '18 07:28
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    I'm an American, honey, and as an all-American girl raised on peanut butter, I find both Marmite and Vegemite to be disgusting.

I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'.
    Peanut butter sticks to the roof of my mouth.
  3. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    14 Mar '18 07:413 edits
    Originally posted by @moonbus
    Marmite makes the roof of my mouth itch. Acquired taste indeed!
    Kiwi fruits make my hands itch.

As for Vegemite/ Marmite, my ex banned me from using it for our family telling me it was based on the gunge
    left coating vats and pipes during the brewing process. Mind you, most kids are accustomed to eating the
    occasional bit of rubbish.
  4. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    14 Mar '18 10:02
    Originally posted by @drewnogal
    Kiwi fruits make my hands itch.

... the gunge left coating vats and pipes during the brewing process.
    Yes, Marmite are exempt from all Health & Safety regulations in the making of their products.
  5. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    14 Mar '18 10:16
    Marmite. I pity those who don't like it. Some of the best marketing too. I'll leave this here :

YouTube
  6. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    14 Mar '18 10:48
    Originally posted by @russ
    Marmite. I pity those who don't like it. Some of the best marketing too. I'll leave this here :

[youtube]JFLHialhZ8c[/youtube]
    Classic ... thanks Russ.
    Remember rolling up at that one in the ...80's? 90's?
  7. RSA
    Moves
    14 Mar '18 10:55
    I'm an American, honey, and as an all-American girl raised on peanut butter, I find both Marmite and Vegemite to be disgusting.

Peanut butter makes you fat though. It's notorious for being the primary cause of first year spread.

Marmite is nice but don't kiss anyone after eating it.
  8. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    14 Mar '18 11:12
    Originally posted by @mwmiller
    Which is better, Marmite or Vegamite?
    I have heard that they are the same thing, and I have also heard they are very different.
    So which is it?

I googled a little information on each of them and pasted them here. I would have posted this in "debates" but they're pretty busy over there solving all the rest of the world's problems, so I thought I would ...[text shortened]... duced in New Zealand for over 50 years, but as of August 2006 New Zealand production had ceased.
    For those lacking marmite simply scrape the bottom of a beer barrel
  9. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    14 Mar '18 15:08

Peanut butter, or sugary gunk with some peanuts in it? Real peanut butter is, of course, completely sugar- and indeed carbohydrate-in-general-free, being 100% fat, protein, and salt. Needs no conservatives, no self-respecting microbe or mould will eat it.
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    14 Mar '18 15:41
    Originally posted by @shallow-blue
    Peanut butter, or sugary gunk with some peanuts in it? Real peanut butter is, of course, completely sugar- and indeed carbohydrate-in-general-free, being 100% fat, protein, and salt. Needs no conservatives, no self-respecting microbe or mould will eat it.
    Yes, in fact, I buy organic peanut butter, the only ingredients are peanuts and salt. No Jif or Skippy in my house.
  11. Green Boots Cave
    Moves
    14 Mar '18 16:52
    Originally posted by @indonesia-phil
    We can't buy Marmite here in our part of Indonesia, so we and others bring it back over when we go home to Blightey. We can buy Vegemite, but for someone born and raised on Marmite it just ain't the same. Vegemite's okay to cook with but on bread, forget it. As a general rule it seems you have to be raised eating one of them to tolerate either; I've ...[text shortened]... t you know what I mean) if you have a Marmite moment nothing else cuts the Mustard, so to speak.
    I get all the English things that are difficult to obtain here delivered by post from a firm in England.Very reliable service and the prices are in order.
  12. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    16 Mar '18 14:55
    Wow, six thumbs down on the original post! I wonder if that is a record? I didn't realize yeast extract products were that unpopular! Or maybe it was just because I didn't spell vegemite correctly in the title.
  13. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    16 Mar '18 17:12
    Stalagmites or stalactites? Suppose it depends on your perspective.
  14. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    16 Mar '18 17:40
    Originally posted by @very-rusty
    A battle between Vegemite and Marmite. That's right, the age-old war of the concentrated yeast extract spread. Marmite, a British favorite and Vegemite, an Australian staple, are what we'd refer to as an acquired taste.Mar 5, 2013
    Vegemite vs. Marmite Taste Test: Can You Tell The Difference ...
    https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/.../vegemite-vs-marmite-taste_n_2807624.htm...

COPIED AND PASTED JUST SO ANDY IS AWARE!!!! πŸ˜‰ πŸ˜›

-VR
    There's no need to prove how stupid you are, Rusty. It's common knowledge.
  15. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    16 Mar '18 20:29
    Originally posted by @mwmiller
    Wow, six thumbs down on the original post! I wonder if that is a record? I didn't realize yeast extract products were that unpopular! Or maybe it was just because I didn't spell vegemite correctly in the title.
    And the one thumb up was from me so u r on a sticky wicket

Perhaps its the U.S. posters who dislike both spreads?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree