1. Standard membergambit05
    Mad Murdock
    I forgot
    Moves
    21 Feb '06 15:12
    Originally posted by Starrman
    I believe you can import them. Plus, there's no need to get rid of your other browser first, so in case they don't you can always revert.
    Then I will rather use IE, which is already on my PC, and with which it works fine.
    Thanks anyway for your help.
  2. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    21 Feb '06 15:14
    Originally posted by gambit05
    Then I will rather use IE, which is already on my PC, and with which it works fine.
    Thanks anyway for your help.
    There are many benefits to ditching IE and using Firefox, I can't tell you how improved the browsing functionality, security and add-ons are. I guarantee you will hate IE after only a week on Firefox, but it is of course your choice.
  3. Standard membergambit05
    Mad Murdock
    I forgot
    Moves
    21 Feb '06 15:14
    Originally posted by stocken
    Netscape and Mozilla is essentially the same browser. Only the user interface is different. You should probably have your browser upgraded to the latest version. I believe Netscape 8.1 is the most recent upgrade.

If it's a work computer you may need to contact an administrator to do it for you though.
    Fortunately, I have the administrative rights to install or update programs on my PC. Will try it in the evening; have to work now.
  4. Standard membergambit05
    Mad Murdock
    I forgot
    Moves
    21 Feb '06 15:16
    There are many benefits to ditching IE and using Firefox, I can't tell you how improved the browsing functionality, security and add-ons are. I guarantee you will hate IE after only a week on Firefox, but it is of course your choice.
    I alrady hate IE since a while. That is why I installed and use Netscape.
  5. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    21 Feb '06 15:18
    I alrady hate IE since a while. That is why I installed and use Netscape.
    Then at least give Firefox a go. Many users here will be happy to help you out with add-ons like linkify and tips for how to get the best out of it. The tabbed browsing is fantastic.
  6. Joined
    23 Sep '05
    Moves
    21 Feb '06 15:18
    Fortunately, I have the administrative rights to install or update programs on my PC. Will try it in the evening; have to work now.
    I'm very interested in hearing how it works out for you, because just a few weeks ago someone else on this site had real problems with Netscape 8.1. I couldn't reproduce the problems on my own computer though.
  7. Earth Prime
    Moves
    21 Feb '06 15:30
    Originally posted by Russ
    Can you try the 'legacy' board as discussed above on your PDA and let me know the results?

Thanks.

-Russ
    Before switching to legacy I got a string of Xs where the board should be. Then I thought I switced because analize board was gone, but still Xs, then I guess I really did switch and can see the board, but still cannot 'click' to move any pieces for some reason. Almost like the board is simply an image. Perhaps a browser problem. Are there mobile versions of firefox etc?
  8. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    21 Feb '06 15:33
    Originally posted by Coconut
    Before switching to legacy I got a string of Xs where the board should be. Then I thought I switced because analize board was gone, but still Xs, then I guess I really did switch and can see the board, but still cannot 'click' to move any pieces for some reason. Almost like the board is simply an image. Perhaps a browser problem. Are there mobile versions of firefox etc?
    OK, I will probably need to provide yet another iteration with a text entry interface.

-Russ
  9. Earth Prime
    Moves
    21 Feb '06 15:45
    BTW, what ever happened to that board I once saw that 'played' the game through? You could speed it up or just go move by move as you clicked. The pieces would actually slide across the board too. Or was that just a dream?
  10. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    21 Feb '06 15:50
    Wouldn't I loose all my bookmarks then?
    I don't have any loose bookmarks, nor did I lose any when I switched to Firefox, as it has an import feature for them.
  11. Standard membergambit05
    Mad Murdock
    I forgot
    Moves
    21 Feb '06 15:51
    Then at least give Firefox a go. Many users here will be happy to help you out with add-ons like linkify and tips for how to get the best out of it. The tabbed browsing is fantastic.
    What about Opera? I also have this browser on my PC and it works as well.

By the way I have all these browsers on my PC because 1 1/2 years ago I faced similar problems on another chess site (as a sub). Unfortunately additional restrictions of a firewall prohibited me to play their anymore.
  12. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    21 Feb '06 15:54
    Originally posted by Coconut
    BTW, what ever happened to that board I once saw that 'played' the game through? You could speed it up or just go move by move as you clicked. The pieces would actually slide across the board too. Or was that just a dream?
    That did exist. I had very much completed it this time last year, and released a demo. But I then decided that I was probably being too ambitious trying to release too much at once. This current board code is a modified version of that work, and if it works OK for most people, then it could be easily updated to support the animation again in the future.

-Russ
  13. Standard memberelohiym chanan
    under construction
    presently mired...
    Moves
    21 Feb '06 16:45
    I like the flip board option very much... although it's scary how bad some of my positions look to me when viewed from the opponents perspective! Yikes!
  14. Joined
    23 Sep '05
    Moves
    21 Feb '06 16:55
    Originally posted by elohiym chanan
    ...it's scary how bad some of my positions look to me when viewed from the opponents perspective! Yikes!
    🙂 I hear you.
  15. Standard membergambit05
    Mad Murdock
    I forgot
    Moves
    21 Feb '06 17:36
    Here is an update to my situation:

I have downloaded the newest version of Mozilla Firefox, and of Thunderbird to make my e-mail compatible with the new browser; I have imported all my bookmarks and e-mails without any problems, and I can fully enjoy the new board features.

Thanks to all who gave me suggestions and help.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree