Notable death

Notable death

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pawn Whisperer

My Kingdom fora Pawn

Moves
03 May 21

@fmf said
Let's spare a thought, then, for Olympia Dukakis on her passing and for the pleasure she brought so many people.
I concede, you are correct. This is not about Mike and politics, it's about Olympia.

My apologies, y'all

Pawn Whisperer

My Kingdom fora Pawn

Moves
03 May 21
1 edit

@woofwoof said
Before you continue fouling this solemn thread with more political quackery: It was George Bush Sr. not Ronald Reagan.

In 1988, Michael Dukakis lost to George H. W. Bush.

-------------------

- R.I.P. Olympia.
yes, WoofWoof, and I apologize for the missive. I started typing and got carried away.

Über-Nerd

Moves
03 May 21
1 edit

Bobby Unser, 87, three-time winner of the greatest left-turn in motor racing.

https://www.stltoday.com/news/national/bobby-unser-indy-500-champ-in-great-racing-family-dies-at-87/article_67ed3e51-164f-592b-a416-503be6208294.html

Moves
06 May 21
1 edit

Nick Kamen 59 dies of bone cancer.

Levi’s 501 1984 laundrette commercial with him as the young 1950s pin up is legendary and one of best TV adds ever.

Here is the laundrette episode with some others he was in

F

Moves
06 May 21

@earl-of-trumps said
I concede, you are correct. This is not about Mike and politics, it's about Olympia.

My apologies, y'all
Your apology, while noted, does not alter the fact that this kind of narcissistic toxicity is what renders you a major contributor to what makes the Debates Forum a cesspool. As I said, your apology is noted.

F

Moves
06 May 21

A couple of days ago: English footballer Steve Conroy at the age of 64. He played goalie for Sheffield United, Rotherham and Rochdale, but never for the national side.

F

Moves
08 May 21

Thirty years ago today: Wilfrid Hyde-White, British actor, career highlights include My Fair Lady, and two memorable episodes of Colombo.

Moves
08 May 21
1 edit

@divegeester said

Levi’s 501 1984 laundrette commercial with him as the young 1950s pin up is legendary and one of best TV adds ever.

[youtube]PwDDEvYty3I[/youtube]
Poor guy. Foxy, though. Thanks for the ad link. I had not seen that.

Edit: And interesting in the context of stone washing: камень in Russian means "stone".

Moves
08 May 21

F

Moves
08 May 21

Died yesterday, Yegor Ligachyov, a prominent and senior Russian politician during the decade leading to to the era-ending events in the USSR in 1990. His take on events, especially if candid and sincere, would have been an interesting read.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
08 May 21

Probably not many here will remember him though he was quite active in Spirituality and Debates when he was on the site but:

https://www.redhotpawn.com/chess-player/frogstomp

He was my uncle and passed away a few weeks ago. RIP.

Moves
08 May 21
1 edit

@no1marauder said
Probably not many here will remember him though he was quite active in Spirituality and Debates when he was on the site but:

Link: @frogstomp

Sorry for your loss No1.

Über-Nerd

Moves
08 May 21

From frogstomp’s profile:

This entire globe, this star, not being subject to death, and dissolution and annihilation being impossible anywhere in Nature, from time to time renews itself by changing and altering all its parts. There is no absolute up or down, as Aristotle taught; no absolute position in space; but the position of a body is relative to that of other bodies. Everywhere there is incessant relative change in position throughout the universe, and the observer is always at the center of thing.

Rest In Peace.

Jack Torrance

Overlook Hotel

Moves
08 May 21

@divegeester said

[youtube]PwDDEvYty3I[/youtube]
Dang, that brought back memories.

Moves
08 May 21

@no1marauder said

Condolences.