1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    03 Apr '18 07:522 edits
    Originally posted by @drewnogal
    Without being involved somewhere in the whole process how could I ever have an objective view on it?
    I see. So you cannot comment on the correctness of the sentence itself becuase you are not involved in the process, but you fiercely uphold the decision that he should go free anyway?
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    03 Apr '18 07:54
    Of course I do.
    Why do you support their right to appeal and the outcome of it, when all through this thread you have vociferously defended the right of the perpetrator to go free once his sentence is served?
  3. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    03 Apr '18 08:38
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    Why do you support their right to appeal and the outcome of it, when all through this thread you have vociferously defended the right of the perpetrator to go free once his sentence is served?
    I can support both - and there are no outcomes yet.
    The case in the OP will be heard on 6th April.
    I’m not sure of the other.
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    03 Apr '18 08:49
    [b]I can support both -
    But according to you no one should be kept in prison once they have served their time.
  5. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    03 Apr '18 08:49
    Well he resigned because of the disgrace accompanying his incompetence, so yes you were.
    He was hardly an incompetent. A colleague of his reported that during his watch the Parole Board cleared the longstanding backlog: dealing with 25,000 cases and holding over 7,000 oral hearings in 2017 whilst at the same time keeping the rate of serious further offending at less than 1%. He also pushed for greater transparency and championed increased engagement with victims.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/feb/21/john-worboys-victims-win-human-rights-case-against-policeŶ
  6. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    03 Apr '18 08:50
    But according to you no one should be kept in prison once they have served their time.
    The time decided by a judge. Correct.
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    03 Apr '18 08:501 edit
    I can support both -
    How is it that you cannot comment on the correctness of the sentence itself because you are not involved in the process, but you can strenuously uphold the decision that he should go free at the end of it?
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    03 Apr '18 08:54
    He was hardly an incompetent. A colleague of his reported that during his watch the Parole Board cleared the longstanding backlog: dealing with 25,000 cases and holding over 7,000 oral hearings in 2017 whilst at the same time keeping the rate of serious further offending at less than 1%. He also pushed for greater transparency and championed increased eng ...[text shortened]... w.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/feb/21/john-worboys-victims-win-human-rights-case-against-policeŶ
    I think the comments about incompetence were about the case in question. Most people have a decent cv.
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    03 Apr '18 08:561 edit
    The time decided by a judge. Correct.
    And if the appeal is upheld will you acknowledge that that “judge’s” judgment was incorrect?
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    03 Apr '18 09:042 edits
    Without being involved somewhere in the whole process how could I ever have an objective view on it?
    Ok let’s accept that you haven’t read all the case notes, interviewed the parents, the witnesses, read the police files and undergone a course in criminal psychology....and irrespective of the debate surrounding the actual case in the OP; do you personally feel that the kidnapping, rape and murder of a child should carry a sentence of life imprisonment?
  11. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    03 Apr '18 09:11
    And if the appeal is upheld will you acknowledge that that “judge’s” judgment was incorrect?
    I’d say that if a sentence is extended an appeals judge has made that
    decision upon further information has come to light some years later.

I’d agree with that.
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    03 Apr '18 09:201 edit
    I’d say that if a sentence is extended an appeals judge has made that decision upon further information has come to light some years later.

I’d agree with that.
    I must suppose that with your seemingly immovable faith in the judiciary system and your strict dispassionate objectivity, that you have never come across,nor paid any credence to, cases of miscarriages of justice or where one judge has overturned the desicion of another based solely on review and not “further information”.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree