1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    30 Mar '18 21:07
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    Good to see the “professionals” decision to release Warbouys was not only overturned, but pretty much derided by the judge and the head of parole board quits in the debacle. Justice all round I’d say.
    Thumbed down LOL.
  2. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    31 Mar '18 00:54
    Good to see the “professionals” decision to release Warbouys was not only overturned, but pretty much derided by the judge and the head of parole board quits in the debacle. Justice all round I’d say.
    I hope the right decision has been made. I'm not happy with the media hype and
    the constant referral to hundreds of rapes. He should have been charged and if guilty
    banged up for life, that wasn't the case and I think questions should be asked about that.

It is also not a good thing when professional decisions are overturned, and a review
    of the system is needed to avoid future instances. The courts should be needed
    occasionally as the final "check and balance" only.
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    31 Mar '18 09:322 edits
    Originally posted by @wolfgang59
    I hope the right decision has been made. I'm not happy with the media hype and
    the constant referral to hundreds of rapes. He should have been charged and if guilty
    banged up for life, that wasn't the case and I think questions should be asked about that.

It is also not a good thing when professional decisions are overturned, and a review
    of the ...[text shortened]... ure instances. The courts should be needed
    occasionally as the final "check and balance" only.
    I think it’s excellent when so called “professionals” decisions get overturned. It shows that they are being held accountable. There’s always media hype; saying you are not happy about it, is moot.
  4. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    31 Mar '18 09:45
    I think it’s excellent when so called “professionals” decisions get overturned. It shows that they are being held accountable. There’s always media hype; saying you are not happy about it, is moot.
    In a perfect society professionals opinions would not be overturned.
    We should aim for that perfect society, all the while maintaining
    accountability and a means to check and overturn their decisions.
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    31 Mar '18 09:511 edit
    In a perfect society professionals opinions would not be overturned.
    We should aim for that perfect society, all the while maintaining
    accountability and a means to check and overturn their decisions.
    Is everyone in NZ living in your ideologue dream world?
    I know you are a long way away, but surely it’s not 1960s California or rural Scotland down there?
  6. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    31 Mar '18 11:291 edit
    So I wasn’t being over dramatic when I said that these people
    ‘put their jobs on the line’ with the decisions they have to make?
  7. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    31 Mar '18 11:29
    An interesting case with a bit more to it than the failings of the parole board who for some reason dismissed the fact that Warbuoys protested his innocence for a number of years and ignored the views, via prison documentation, of those who were more closely involved with the perpetrator in prison which were of the view that he was manipulative enough to lie about feeling any remorse for his actions.

The investigation was flawed right from the start with the Police failing to maintain adequate records which could have led to Warbuoys being convicted 6 years earlier; long before his alleged assaults and rapes reached 100+.

The Metropolitan Police have been fighting a compensation claim in excess of £40k since 2014 by two of Warbuoys victims under article 3 of the Human Rights Act.

The only way these 2 victims have managed to get their case to court has been via crowd funding. They now plan to challenge the parole board upon the limited information they provide to victims upon their their conclusions to release a perpetrator.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/feb/21/john-worboys-victims-win-human-rights-case-against-policeŶ
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    31 Mar '18 18:08
    Originally posted by @drewnogal
    An interesting case with a bit more to it than the failings of the parole board who for some reason dismissed the fact that Warbuoys protested his innocence for a number of years and ignored the views, via prison documentation, of those who were more closely involved with the perpetrator in prison which were of the view that he was manipulative enough to ...[text shortened]... w.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/feb/21/john-worboys-victims-win-human-rights-case-against-policeŶ
    I guess he should have been released then, huh?
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    31 Mar '18 18:09
    Originally posted by @drewnogal
    So I wasn’t being over dramatic when I said that these people
    ‘put their jobs on the line’ with the decisions they have to make?
    Well he resigned because of the disgrace accompanying his incompetence, so yes you were.
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    31 Mar '18 18:152 edits
    I guess we should all just stfu and let the increasing financial pressures cripple the penal system and continue to compromise the judiciary and parole processes...while the liberals plead for an rehabilative idealism only found in Hollywood and pulp fiction.
  11. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    31 Mar '18 18:59
    Is everyone in NZ living in your ideologue dream world?
    That's a very stupid thing to say dive.
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    31 Mar '18 19:172 edits
    That's a very stupid thing to say dive.
    It’s not stupid, but I do realise it was a little flippant and implies that you are living a privileged and somewhat isolated existence about 12,000 miles from what is happening in the UK.
  13. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    31 Mar '18 20:44
    It’s not stupid, but I do realise it was a little flippant and implies that you are living a privileged and somewhat isolated existence about 12,000 miles from what is happening in the UK.
    I'm British, all my family live in UK, I lived there for 51 years and I read
    the BBC UK news every day. So I think I know what is happening in UK
    as much or more than you know about the original topic of this thread.
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    01 Apr '18 04:59
    I'm British, all my family live in UK, I lived there for 51 years and I read
    the BBC UK news every day. So I think I know what is happening in UK
    as much or more than you know about the original topic of this thread.
    My point was more about you choosing not to live here in the UK and to live a very different and some would say privileged lifestyle in a country more akin to the the pace and culture of the UK of decades ago. By the way you really ought to read more than just the BBC version of the news old chap.
  15. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    01 Apr '18 07:34
    By the way you really ought to read more than just the BBC version of the news old chap.
    I really don't want to list EVERYTHING I read!
    That would be rather boring ... but it does include the quality British & US press.

Care to give us your reading list?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree