Quitting Smoking

Quitting Smoking

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
20 Mar 16

I did it by simply going cold turkey in April 1992. It led to a very unpleasant week, and then a difficult month or two, but it worked I and haven't smoked since.

How did you manage it and how long did you/have you quit for?

Constant Gardener

The Plot

Moves
20 Mar 16

Doug Stanhope

That's Why I Drink

Moves
20 Mar 16

Hemp.

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
20 Mar 16

Originally posted by Seitse
Hemp.
The hempen solution would be to hang smokers?

Not a pleasant way to stop I fear...

Constant Gardener

The Plot

Moves
20 Mar 16

Australia

Moves
20 Mar 16

http://livingheritage.org/hemp.htm

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
20 Mar 16

Originally posted by FMF
I did it by simply going cold turkey in April 1992. It led to a very unpleasant week, and then a difficult month or two, but it worked I and haven't smoked since.

How did you manage it and how long did you/have you quit for?
You quit by eating cold turkey? 😲

The method i used was to identify the 5 key cigarettes of the day (after evening meal etc) and to cut out all the others. Over the next few weeks i gradually reduced this number until i was only having the one in the morning, and then knocked that on the head too. Worked for me.

F

Moves
20 Mar 16
1 edit

Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
You quit by eating cold turkey? 😲

The method i used was to identify the 5 key cigarettes of the day (after evening meal etc) and to cut out all the others. Over the next few weeks i gradually reduced this number until i was only having the one in the morning, and then knocked that on the head too. Worked for me.
Attempts at phasing out just never worked for me. I probably tried and failed 2-3 times between 1985-1991.

In the end I took a spur of the moment decision ~ in Ambon airport in Maluku, while waiting in transit for our plane to be refuelled, when a packet of Kansas Red ran out [odd moment to choose, in retrospect, when you consider Indonesian airports only have two reason to exist: [1] for arriving/departing on planes, and [2] for smoking cigarettes while you're waiting for that to happen], but I just stuck with it.

Having been a heavy smoker prior to that, the suffering was considerable - I would compare it to a week long bout of dengue fever - and ever since that (but particularly in the subsequent 6-12 months) the very threat or possibility of having to endure that cold-turkey-method situation again was what motivated me not to allow myself to relapse.

Doug Stanhope

That's Why I Drink

Moves
20 Mar 16

The post that was quoted here has been removed
First I switched from tobacco to marihuana. Then I started making pot brownies
and such. Now I don't smoke at all, which I think brushes away the risk of lung
cancer. Or maybe not. I don't know. I'm high right now.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
20 Mar 16

I tried to give up several times in my 20s but failed for a number of reasons but mainly because it was too hard. Someone suggested this book: Stop Smoking the Easy Way by Alan Carr. It seems he has several editions now, including one on losing weight.

http://tinyurl.com/z3qzu59

For me this book was a revelation; it helped me to see how cigarettes worked physically and psychologically and gave me the confidence to just stop, which I did. I can even smoke on holiday if I want to and have absolutely no fear of ever going back permanently.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
20 Mar 16

It's 9 in morning!

Mar-a-Lago

Moves
20 Mar 16

Never smoked apart from Bongs

F

Moves
20 Mar 16

Do people you smoke dope with tolerate you saying pointlessly grotesque and poisonous things like some of the stuff you say on this message board or do you take care in those situations to surround yourself with people who think you are funny?

Constant Gardener

The Plot

Moves
20 Mar 16

Moves
20 Mar 16

I quit smoking cold turkey fashion on December 16th 2006 after twenty years of smoking.