1. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    10 Apr '20 12:24
    @petewxyz said
    Cycling is a good escape...just saying!
    You don't know my 1975 Peugeot Gitane Gypsy (bought new in 1976)...hardly "relaxing" any more. "My butt still aches when I hear that word" 😉
  2. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    10 Apr '20 13:59
    Traditionally we voted in one round. Last year someone sugestted we use a two round voting system. So I set up another poll:

A) is the traditional way, you give 5-3-1 to three favourite stories.
    B) is the same only that after the first round of voting there is a second round for the first three placed (and any story with max. one vote less than the third.) In the second round it is one vote per person.

Voting procedure

42% one round
    58% two rounds
    12 votes • Final results
  3. Joined
    15 Jun '10
    Moves
    10 Apr '20 20:43
    I've raised this point privately with Mr Ghost, but technically there's nothing to stop us voting for our own story, so is this a kind of 'gentlepersons' agreement that we won't, even if we genuinely think ours is the best story?
  4. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    10 Apr '20 20:471 edit
    @indonesia-phil said
    I've raised this point privately with Mr Ghost, but technically there's nothing to stop us voting for our own story, so is this a kind of 'gentlepersons' agreement that we won't, even if we genuinely think ours is the best story?
    Well if you compared this to Political opponents. I've never heard of anyone going in and voting for the person running against him/her.

Of course this is a whole different situation.

-VR
  5. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    10 Apr '20 20:48
    @indonesia-phil said
    Pretty sure that Pondy would know if you were voting for your own submission. I say “ bite the bullet” and vote for the 2nd (in your opinion) best.
  6. Gothenburg
    Moves
    10 Apr '20 20:51
    @great-big-stees said
    Pretty sure that Pondy would know if you were voting for your own submission. I say “ bite the bullet” and vote for the 2nd (in your opinion) best.
    Sometime it is very difficult to know how to vote, the entries are so different. It can take a few readings and reconsiderations.
  7. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    10 Apr '20 20:59
    @torunn said
    Sometime it is very difficult to know how to vote, the entries are so different. It can take a few readings and reconsiderations.
    You are right. I think most people have to read the entries at least twice, assuming they have good memories.😉
  8. Gothenburg
    Moves
    10 Apr '20 21:00
    @great-big-stees said
    You are right. I think most people have to read the entries at least twice, assuming they have good memories.😉
    And I will have to read them many times, to find the rhythm and vocabulary.
  9. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    10 Apr '20 21:23
    @great-big-stees said
    I guess I gotta start over then, cuz I wrote a "freewheeling" story, about my 16 speed bicycle. 😠
    No problem ... just have someone chasing you during the story.
  10. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    10 Apr '20 22:08
    @bigdoggproblem said
    No problem ... just have someone chasing you during the story.
    Yes great idea, one small problem now everyone knows what he is writing about!

-VR
  11. Joined
    15 Jun '10
    Moves
    10 Apr '20 22:22
    @great-big-stees said
    I'm not for a moment saying that mine will be 'the best', it's all subjective anyway, I'm just hypothosising (or however you spell that..), nor would I vote for mine in any case, I'm just working out the general ethics of it. Anyway, all clear now.
  12. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    10 Apr '20 22:40
    If you're tactical voting in a writing competition on a chess website then you really need some perspective on life.
  13. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    10 Apr '20 22:41
    @trev33 said
    If you're tactical voting in a writing competition on a chess website then you really need some perspective on life.
    What would you expect from a bunch of chess nerds and nerdettes, don't want to leave anyone out! 😉

-VR
  14. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    11 Apr '20 07:44
    @indonesia-phil said
    It's just not the done thing old chap.

In the years I've been involved in theses competitions I don't believe a writer has ever voted for their own entry.
  15. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    11 Apr '20 08:20
    @great-big-stees said
    You don't know my 1975 Peugeot Gitane Gypsy (bought new in 1976)...hardly "relaxing" any more. "My butt still aches when I hear that word" 😉
    Now gel saddles are a good escape from pain - just saying!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree