1. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    18 May '19 13:51
    @ponderable said
    Well the Ghost starts as favourite. Lets see if Mike will take part he won a few times in the past. And we always had some good stories from the other starters.
    Not wishing to fill my literary adversaries with irksome boldness, but I have never attempted to write a spooky story before. The Ghost, therefore, is a long shot this year, with Moonbus the bookies favourite.....Yes, let's put the focus of expectation squarely on the shoulders of that fine gentleman.

In regards to the competition itself, I would advocate for 3 agreed requirements of entry:

1. A maximum word count.
    2. A specified theme. (The 'horror' idea is an interesting one).
    3. Three compulsory words, selected by Ponderable.

The 3rd requirement would provide a new twist to the competition and be a good test I think for the contributors. The aim, of course, would be for the authors to creatively include the words so that they melt beautifully into the narrative. Quite the challenge.
  2. Joined
    15 Apr '05
    Moves
    18 May '19 14:29
    Hi. Sent you a note this a.m. Would like to participate again. Not sure about the themes but will go along with anything. I guess there's no dates for submissions set yet or did I miss them?
  3. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    18 May '19 14:321 edit
    @mike169 said
    Hi. Sent you a note this a.m. Would like to participate again. Not sure about the themes but will go along with anything. I guess there's no dates for submissions set yet or did I miss them?
    I assume they have to decide what they are going to write about first, then the rules will follow, then date due. At least that is how it has worked in previous years.

-VR
  4. Joined
    15 Apr '05
    Moves
    18 May '19 15:58
    Thanks. Didn't know we had a theme last year.
  5. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    18 May '19 16:051 edit
    @mike169 said
    I am not sure on that part either....It might have been one of those years they could write what ever they wanted. Sometimes they have had open topics where you can write about what ever you want, but still have so many words to do it. Also there is a date they all have to be turned in by. Goad (ghost) has been talking about having certain words which would have to be in it, as a suggestion. More or less just being discussed at this point.

-VR
  6. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    18 May '19 16:28
    synopsisman...
  7. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    18 May '19 16:321 edit
    @mike169 said
    Last year was 'emotion.'

πŸ˜€

(As I recall, I gave top marks to your entry 'Emojis' )
  8. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    18 May '19 16:45
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    Not wishing to fill my literary adversaries with irksome boldness, but I have never attempted to write a spooky story before. The Ghost, therefore, is a long shot this year, with Moonbus the bookies favourite.....Yes, let's put the focus of expectation squarely on the shoulders of that fine gentleman.

In regards to the competition itself, I would advocate for 3 a ...[text shortened]... creatively include the words so that they melt beautifully into the narrative. Quite the challenge.
    “The aim, of course, would be for the authors to creatively include the words so that they melt beautifully into the narrative. Quite the challenge.”

It’s quite a challenge for me to manage that for any of the words but the process is very satisfying if my memory serves me right. πŸ™‚
  9. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    18 May '19 16:59
    @kevcvs57 said
    “The aim, of course, would be for the authors to creatively include the words so that they melt beautifully into the narrative. Quite the challenge.”

It’s quite a challenge for me to manage that for any of the words but the process is very satisfying if my memory serves me right. πŸ™‚
    πŸ˜€

Imagine how splendidly satisfying it would feel to successfully incorporate three random words from Ponderable; aubergine, cactus and discombobulated.
  10. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    18 May '19 17:07
    @ponderable said
    Well the Ghost starts as favourite. Lets see if Mike will take part he won a few times in the past. And we always had some good stories from the other starters.
    I fully intend to scare the be-jesus out of Ghost this year. He may win again, but I will do my level worst to ensure that his insomnia will not abate!
  11. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    18 May '19 17:11
    @ghost-of-a-duke said

In regards to the competition itself, I would advocate for 3 a ...[text shortened]... creatively include the words so that they melt beautifully into the narrative. Quite the challenge.
    3. Three words to be avoided would be tougher, in a horror story, IMO. To be selected by the referee.

And, just so y'all know, I have H.P. Lovecraft's complete works. Autographed.
  12. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    18 May '19 17:50
    @moonbus said
    I fully intend to scare the be-jesus out of Ghost this year. He may win again, but I will do my level worst to ensure that his insomnia will not abate!
    Keep it under your hat sir, but the Ghost is currently sleeping like a baby. (And have already completed 18 entries to choose from).
  13. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    18 May '19 18:32
    We don't stand a chance, but earning a Silver Medal is still worth the effort.

I'm thinking of taking a moonbus into a ghostly realm. One where the words are fresh and not very rusty. πŸ™‚
  14. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    18 May '19 19:35
    Hello all,

since I plan to participate myself it would probably not be fair if I choose three words to include or avoid.

We could have a set which either have to be included or avoided all

transmogrify, ellipsoid and tenacious come to mind
  15. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    18 May '19 19:39
    @ponderable said
    Hello all,

since I plan to participate myself it would probably not be fair if I choose three words to include or avoid.

We could have a set which either have to be included or avoided all

transmogrify, ellipsoid and tenacious come to mind
    πŸ˜†

We could have Torunn select 3 words to be included, as she has ruled herself out of competing this year.

Everyone loves Torunn. 😍

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree