1. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    19 May '19 21:28
    @moonbus said
    "Loo", you, too? Yes, the Brits have lots of expressions which sound funny to those born not in the land of the Queen's English. "Having a fag at the back of the bus," or asking a hotelier to "knock me up in the morning," ordering "bangers" for breakfast, spring to mind.
    Yes, one means homosexual as you know and the other means a woman is pregnant.

Different kind of English than we speak here in Canada for sure. Those ones could get you in trouble over here!!! Of course the accent would tell the story, so may not be too bad if you slipped up, depending on where you were at the time. πŸ˜‰

-VR
  2. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    19 May '19 21:31

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

3. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    19 May '19 21:33
    @moonbus said
    "Loo", you, too? Yes, the Brits have lots of expressions which sound funny to those born not in the land of the Queen's English. "Having a fag at the back of the bus," or asking a hotelier to "knock me up in the morning," ordering "bangers" for breakfast, spring to mind.
    Or..."chuck me a bob, I'm skint"..."ring me up a char this flat is a shyt-show" or the ubiquitous..."al 'ave a paint"
  4. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    19 May '19 22:10
    @wolfe63 said
    Or..."chuck me a bob, I'm skint"..."ring me up a char this flat is a shyt-show" or the ubiquitous..."al 'ave a paint"
    LOL....Hard to believe that is English!!! πŸ˜‰

-VR
  5. Standard memberchessturd
    Trump 2020
    Moves
    19 May '19 22:13
    What the hell is prose?

(That is my submission)
  6. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    20 May '19 04:541 edit
    @very-rusty said
    LOL....Hard to believe that is English!!! πŸ˜‰

-VR
    It sounds like a very localised vernacular sort of east end of London with more than whiff of Dick Van Dyke.😊
  7. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    20 May '19 05:28
    @kevcvs57 said
    It sounds like a very localised vernacular sort of east end of London with more than whiff of Dick Van Dyke.😊
    Ah, the (im)famous chimney-sweep pseudo-Cockney slang from Mary Popins. That came back to haunt him. There is an interview with Dick van Dyke where he confesses his chagrin at his awful accent, and admits that his coach for that was an Irishman, not a real Cockney.
  8. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    20 May '19 06:39
    @moonbus said
    Ah, the (im)famous chimney-sweep pseudo-Cockney slang from Mary Popins. That came back to haunt him. There is an interview with Dick van Dyke where he confesses his chagrin at his awful accent, and admits that his coach for that was an Irishman, not a real Cockney.
    It makes me laugh now, but watching the film as a kid and not being a cockney I thought it sounded about right. It’s ironic that an Irishman was responsible you’d think he would know all about Americans being crap at accents, perhaps he did it for the Craic.
  9. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    20 May '19 07:43
    @wolfe63 said
    Thank you sir for providing the first line in my competition entry.
  10. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    20 May '19 07:46
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    Thank you sir for providing the first line in my competition entry.
    Ooooh, I'm scared now ! "Ubiquitous" very creepy. Very, very creepy.
  11. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    20 May '19 07:58
    @moonbus said
    Ooooh, I'm scared now ! "Ubiquitous" very creepy. Very, very creepy.
    It becomes so sir when accompanied by 'slime.'

'Ubiquitous slime had consumed the eye sockets of every man on Earth and oozed thick and green down the cheeks of humanity...'
  12. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    20 May '19 08:45
    @ghost-of-a-duke said

'Ubiquitous slime had consumed the eye sockets of every man on Earth and oozed thick and green down the cheeks of humanity...'
    It would probably make for a scarier closing line, unfortunately I’m sure that’s already been used in the Debates forum, ‘Trump 2020 I believe. 😊
  13. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    20 May '19 08:50
    @ghost-of-a-duke said

The topic is ghost/supernatural/scary story, not Brexit.
  14. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    20 May '19 08:59
    @chessturd said
    What the hell is prose?

(That is my submission)
    Imagine if you could string a load of words together that somehow related to each other but didn’t have rhyme or chyme.😟
  15. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    20 May '19 09:44
    Heyyyyy!!!!
    I'm failing to see the satire in all of this sarcasm.

But it's true. My English accent is almost as bad as Rusty's Canadian. πŸ˜€

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree