1. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    19 Jun '20 16:48
    Sardines make a great sandwich.
    I always use whole wheat or whole grain bread. I have it as a treat once and awhile.

1.Combine the sardines, celery, red onion, mayonnaise, dill, lemon juice, lemon zest, mustard, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and pepper to taste in a large bowl. Mash well with a fork.

2.Sandwich the sardine salad between the bread slices along with the lettuce, tomato, cucumber and sprouts.

-VR
  2. Joined
    08 Jun '20
    Moves
    19 Jun '20 19:30
    people never give sardines a chance and they always make a disgusting face when I buy them and they leave the room when I eat them out of the can my go to being sardines in mustard but i will eat sardines in tomato sauce and sardines in sunflower oil too never tried them in a sandwich and i am too lazy to start now i have 12 tins in my cupboard right now cheap good healthy food with all the nutrients i need to hunt down teeth
  3. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    19 Jun '20 19:33
    @Very-Rusty

Try sardines on knackebrod, that is how my grandfather used to eat them.
  4. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    19 Jun '20 21:59
    Sardines are so healthy and nutritious. I love them on a pink, beetroot and swede coleslaw with cold rice.
  5. santa cruz, ca.
    Moves
    19 Jun '20 22:10
    @uglytoproll said
    people never give sardines a chance and they always make a disgusting face when I buy them and they leave the room when I eat them out of the can my go to being sardines in mustard but i will eat sardines in tomato sauce and sardines in sunflower oil too never tried them in a sandwich and i am too lazy to start now i have 12 tins in my cupboard right now cheap good healthy food with all the nutrients i need to hunt down teeth
    they don't seem that healthy or nutritious
  6. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    19 Jun '20 23:13
    @lemondrop said
    they don't seem that healthy or nutritious
    I saw sardines in a top 10 list of foods to prevent Alzheimer's.
    Fishy oily goodness.
  7. Joined
    08 Jun '20
    Moves
    19 Jun '20 23:16
    plenty of protein and essential oils and fats your body needs which are the good kind of oils and fats and the bones are soft and barely noticeable so that gives you a great source of real calcium and fish is one of the best sources of healing meat out there if you have a physical job or for any type of working out not only that but they are relatively cheap compared to other meat sources the problem with sardines is the look and if you can get past the ugly nature of sardines you will enjoy them and I would advise any older person to eat them because the essential oils and fats and calcium and protein is what older people need most
  8. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    19 Jun '20 23:46
    If you do not like fish, you should supplement with fish oil. One of the best things for you. Just make sure mercury is not an issue.
  9. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    19 Jun '20 23:48
    @very-rusty said
    I always use whole wheat or whole grain bread. I have it as a treat once and awhile.

1.Combine the sardines, celery, red onion, mayonnaise, dill, lemon juice, lemon zest, mustard, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and pepper to taste in a large bowl. Mash well with a fork.

2.Sandwich the sardine salad between the bread slices along with the lettuce, tomato, cucumber and sprouts.

-VR
    I use tuna instead of sardines for that kind of sandwich, with almost the same blend of ingredients. Must try including some red onion myself.

I do eat sardines, though, just by themselves. Either in mustard or oil.

(I also like roasted eel in chili sauce, which can be found in Asian grocery stores.)
  10. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    20 Jun '20 00:10
    Anchovies, hands down.👏😁
  11. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    20 Jun '20 02:24
    @Very-Rusty
    kudos, i've added sardines, anchovies and balsamic vinegar to the list
  12. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    20 Jun '20 07:50
    @very-rusty said

-VR
    Like the sound of that although personally I would substitue white cabbage for the celery and possibly mix up with boiled rice.

I was shocked to discover, Herring, Sardines, Pilchards and Sild were all the same species of fish, just different sizes. I think I must shock easily, however, if you are going to mash it get Sild as you don't need to remove the bones.

Canned fish in the U.K. is massively under rated and under valued. You can get good quality red salmon, squid in black ink, mackerel in various good sauces and mixing into a rice salad is excellent lazy cooking. Mix some boiled rice with some canned white lump crab meat, bit of sweetcorn and some hoisin sauce and you already have something better than a lot of Chinese chip shops serve. Quickly fry some mushrooms and green peppers and mix that in with a bit of soy sauce and you get a better lunch than you could buy ready made.
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    20 Jun '20 08:18
    @drewnogal said
    Sardines are so healthy and nutritious. I love them on a pink, beetroot and swede coleslaw with cold rice.
    rather have mackerel
  14. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    20 Jun '20 14:403 edits
    @petewxyz said
    Like the sound of that although personally I would substitue white cabbage for the celery and possibly mix up with boiled rice.

I was shocked to discover, Herring, Sardines, Pilchards and Sild were all the same species of fish, just different sizes. I think I must shock easily, however, if you are going to mash it get Sild as you don't need to remove the bones.

Canned ...[text shortened]... rs and mix that in with a bit of soy sauce and you get a better lunch than you could buy ready made.
    The sardines I eat and I too have had them straight out of the can, you don't have to remove the bone as you can eat that as well.

Have you ever ate sardines? No in Herring there are a lot of bones and way too salty for me. I am talking about sardines one would buy in the can. Pilchards and Sild I am not familiar with.

I enjoy the mustard ones also, when they are on sale you can get them for a Canadian loonie a can. They are still very cheap even when not on sale and quite good for you actually.

-VR
  15. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    20 Jun '20 17:00
    @very-rusty said
    The sardines I eat and I too have had them straight out of the can, you don't have to remove the bone as you can eat that as well.

Have you ever ate sardines? No in Herring there are a lot of bones and way too salty for me. I am talking about sardines one would buy in the can. Pilchards and Sild I am not familiar with.

I enjoy the mustard ones also, when they are on ...[text shortened]... oonie a can. They are still very cheap even when not on sale and quite good for you actually.

-VR
    Sild are basically younger or smaller sardines. You can eat the bones in sardines but the bones in sild are even softer. It's more about how the fish are graded for size, both are tinned, enjoy both. If you go to the southwest coast of Bretagne in France though, you can buy sardines fresh off the boat. They grow bigger down there so you do need to fillet them but they taste really good fresh.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree