1. In your face
    Moves
    15 Dec '12 01:32
    Originally posted by Hand of Hecate
    Eliminate guns and you'll still see humans killing humans. We've become quiet good at it over 50,000 years of practice.
    Yes, but not with quite the speed and ease it is dispatched WITH guns. I'm quite open to the idea of responsible people holding guns for hunting, sport and such like but do you really need a system where any numb skull can go and get one on a whim?

It's sad enough hearing news of some teenager going out and shooting their peers but to hear of this sort of thing is totally depressing. 'The right to bear arms' is fast becoming an impingement on a lot of people's rights, rather than the civil liberty it is dressed up to be.
  2. Playing with matches
    Moves
    15 Dec '12 01:42
    Originally posted by Sicilian Sausage
    Yes, but not with quite the speed and ease it is dispatched WITH guns. I'm quite open to the idea of responsible people holding guns for hunting, sport and such like but do you really need a system where any numb skull can go and get one on a whim?

It's sad enough hearing news of some teenager going out and shooting their peers but to hear of thi ...[text shortened]... ingement on a lot of people's rights, rather than the civil liberty it is dressed up to be.
    Really? What's the blast radius of a 55gallon drum of ANFO?

Fix the ease with which guns can be acquired certainly, but, fail to address the real issues/triggers that contribute to the propagation of these killing sprees and you'll still fail.
  3. Standard memberRevRSleeker
    CerebrallyChallenged
    Lyme BayChesil Beach
    Moves
    15 Dec '12 01:51
    Eliminate guns and you'll still see humans killing humans. We've become quiet good at it over 50,000 years of practice.
    I read this a lot, innocents are gunned down by absolute nutters and the gun lobby gets on the defensive...why is that ?
    Taking your own sentiments at face value, and considering there are so so few guns here in Europe, we seem to manage inordinately well...keeping the 'human on human killing fields' at bay that is...
  4. In your face
    Moves
    15 Dec '12 01:55
    Really? What's the blast radius of a 55gallon drum of ANFO?

Fix the ease with which guns can be acquired certainly, but, fail to address the real issues/triggers that contribute to the propagation of these killing sprees and you'll still fail.
    OKay. You take the 55 gallon drum and I'll take the 9mm automatic and let's have a race. Said drum is also totally conspicuous. Kind of noticeable in the middle of a play ground. 'Please excuse me sir, but what are you doing with that 55 gallon drum of non descript liquid'. 'Just taking it for a walk sir'. 'Okay, run along then'. How many nuts have blown up schools with this method in the last ten years? Totally BS argument. Guns should be allowed because anyone can find another way of blowing people up anyway? Totally BS argument.

You don't see these kind of killings happen with so much frequency in any any other part of the world, so where does the problem really lie?
  5. Playing with matches
    Moves
    15 Dec '12 02:111 edit
    OKay. You take the 55 gallon drum and I'll take the 9mm automatic and let's have a race. Said drum is also totally conspicuous. Kind of noticeable in the middle of a play ground. 'Please excuse me sir, but what are you doing with that 55 gallon drum of non descript liquid'. 'Just taking it for a walk sir'. 'Okay, run along then'. How many nuts have uch frequency in any any other part of the world, so where does the problem really lie?
    You're talking out your ass. The Oklahoma City Bomb was ANFO and something that could be made by almost anyone out of readily available materials. Conspicuous enough for you and your gang banger little 9mm? Even those idiots at Columbine had propane/pipe bombs that they were fortunately stupid enough not to be able to set off. The attack was to be a bombing followed by the killing the fleeing survivors.

"The Oklahoma City bombing was a terrorist bomb attack on the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building in downtown Oklahoma City on April 19, 1995. It would remain the most destructive act of terrorism on American soil until the September 11, 2001 attacks. The Oklahoma blast claimed 168 lives, including 19 children under the age of 6, and injured more than 680 people. The blast destroyed or damaged 324 buildings within a sixteen-block radius, destroyed or burned 86 cars, and shattered glass in 258 nearby buildings. The bomb was estimated to have caused at least $652 million worth of damage."
  6. Playing with matches
    Moves
    15 Dec '12 02:16
    Originally posted by RevRSleeker
    I read this a lot, innocents are gunned down by absolute nutters and the gun lobby gets on the defensive...why is that ?
    Taking your own sentiments at face value, and considering there are so so few guns here in Europe, we seem to manage inordinately well...keeping the 'human on human killing fields' at bay that is...
    I don't know how else to express this, I have no problem with restricting gun access. However, there are many other contributing factors.
  7. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    15 Dec '12 03:26
    OKay. You take the 55 gallon drum and I'll take the 9mm automatic and let's have a race. Said drum is also totally conspicuous. Kind of noticeable in the middle of a play ground. 'Please excuse me sir, but what are you doing with that 55 gallon drum of non descript liquid'. 'Just taking it for a walk sir'. 'Okay, run along then'. How many nuts have ...[text shortened]... uch frequency in any any other part of the world, so where does the problem really lie?
    Not bs. They break into your house. Is that the sort of thing that doesn't happen? So you'd like to defend you and yours, right?
  8. Standard membersumydid
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Not of this World
    Moves
    15 Dec '12 04:57
    Originally posted by Kegge
    Yeah ... the six year olds should have been packed with a .45

... take away the guns and there will be far less shootings. THAT is the only way to go.
    Explain why the cities in this country with laws REQUIRING gun ownership... have the lowest crime rates of all.

If someone wants a gun, they're going to get a gun. Only people who live in fantasy land would argue that if there is a prohibition on guns, no one will be able to get one. Clearly, someone as evil as this 20 year old, is not going to be deterred by gun ownership being illegal.

While it's enormously STUPID to arm 6 year olds with guns, the schools should probably start walling their facilities in, so that the only access is through portals with metal detectors run by armed security guards. Nobody wants that, but it's the only solution other than everyone home schooling (which I am even more in favor of).
  9. Standard memberBusygirl
    The BOSS
    in my own mind.
    Moves
    15 Dec '12 05:36
    I don't know how else to express this, I have no problem with restricting gun access. However, there are many other contributing factors.
    I'm surprised no one has yet mentioned the impact of violent video games. I don't think there are any protections in the constitution that justify their continued production and distribution.
  10. Joined
    28 Dec '11
    Moves
    15 Dec '12 05:432 edits
    I think i seen it on the news that most of the school shooters were on luvox antidepressants affect the brain chemistry

but not sure if all the shooters were on it
  11. Joined
    28 Dec '11
    Moves
    15 Dec '12 06:09
    Columbine shooting

LITTLETON, Colorado – An ominous grey cloud hung low overhead as the survivors and relatives of the victims of the worst school shooting in U.S. history gathered on a hill overlooking Columbine High School for the ground breaking of the long-awaited memorial on June 16.
    The sky darkened and lightning struck nearby as former President Bill Clinton, sheltered by an umbrella, spoke to commemorate the 13 killed and two dozen injured during the April 20, 1999 shooting rampage of two homicidal students.

While Clinton and others spoke of the obvious pain and suffering inflicted by Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold, no one addressed the most important question: What actually caused the two high school students to turn into cold-blooded killers? Yet, without addressing the cause of the tragedy, how can we possibly expect to prevent similar tragedies in the future?

The Columbine shooting and many other nightmarish killings have now been scientifically linked by experts to a freakish sleep disorder caused by the growing use of anti-depressant medications that affect the level of serotonin in the brain.
  12. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    15 Dec '12 06:10
    Originally posted by tim88
    I think i seen it on the news that most of the school shooters were on luvox antidepressants affect the brain chemistry

but not sure if all the shooters were on it
    Well then, the pharmaceutical company will have to add mass murder to the list of possible side effects.
  13. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    15 Dec '12 06:341 edit
    Originally posted by Busygirl
    I'm surprised no one has yet mentioned the impact of violent video games. I don't think there are any protections in the constitution that justify their continued production and distribution.
    Freedom of expression.
  14. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    15 Dec '12 07:54
    * In fact you could compare murder incidents in countries with and without legitimate gun ownership. You will find the rates generally higher where guns are readily available.

* There was still one school shooting in Finland and one in Germany I remember, since there are still guns around. Only they are much harder to get.

* Crooks will always be able to get a gun. True, but school shooters are generally not your career criminals, those are out to become rich not to kill pupils.
  15. SubscriberSmookieP
    Lead, Follow, or..
    Saint Petersburg, FL
    Moves
    15 Dec '12 08:11
    What's the argument? Guns don't kill people, people do?

Well you know what, monkeys can shoot guns too! Should we get rid of the Monkeys? Or the guns?

Just a thought.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree