Why would you presume that?
    Because of what he wrote.
  2. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    02 Apr '15 15:19
    Originally posted by FMF
    Because of what he wrote.
    Isn't language (spoken or written) easily "twisted" to enable us to hear/read it in many ways?
  3. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    02 Apr '15 15:19
    FMF to hate evil is quite normal. So there is no explanation necessary, and hesse did not intend to propose that.

However it happens that we dislike persons (and I will look up the original quaote sionce I think that "hate" is probably not correct translated), and we wonder why, and the the quote is quite correct. I have often observed that people can't stand their own weaknesses in others.

Cheers!
  4. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    02 Apr '15 15:461 edit
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    "Some people are hated just because they are being themselves and being honest and truthful." -ChessPraxis
    [25 Apr '12 in "Why some people are disliked..."] Your thoughts on whether his insight still applies today?
    Whereas some people are hated because they don't have any "themselves" to honestly refer to, and have to resort to copying other people's (or wikis' ) words in a desperate attempt to sound "deep".
  5. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    02 Apr '15 15:55
    Originally posted by rookie54
    nice quote...

do you think it to be so???
    "If you hate a person, you hate something in him that is part of yourself.
    What isn't part of ourselves doesn't disturb us." ~Hermann Hesse

The first question is what did Hesse mean by "part of yourself". which appears to be an implied reference to an individual's norms and standards of morality or conscience. If respect for the person and property and freedom of others is part of these standards, violations such as rape or murder or theft or refusal to recognize the freedom of others would become the object of "hate". If those standards are not present, then the same violations wouldn't "disturb" that same individual.

Substituting the word "criticize" for "hate" in the same quote: "If you [criticize] a person, you [criticize] something in him that is part of yourself. What isn't part of ourselves doesn't disturb us." (because you're already aware of and recognize these shortcomings in yourself) would make literal sense without speculation over his meaning of "part of yourself".

Second question is what meaning did Hesse attach to the word "hate" which at this point would require further speculation and/or online search; though I did find one of his quotes on love and another on character: "Love does not entreat; or demand. Love must have the strength to become certain within itself. Then it ceases merely to be attracted and begins to attract." "People with courage and character always seem sinister to the rest." ~Hermann Hesse

My own perspective regarding both "hate" and its antonym "love": a) Love requires concentration and objectivity which involve patience and sustained rational thought; b) Succumbing to subjective hatred reflects the malfunction of thought becoming subservient to raw emotion which is antithetical to love. c) All of the heinous criminal activity and the atrocities associated with terrorist campaigns in today's world are of course to be rejected as aberrations of normal human behavior; those committing them deserve prosecution to the full extent of the law. d) Courage to see reality steady and to see it whole requires vision and grace under fire, not the brain melt pettiness of allowing hate to fixate on other people.

"A loving person lives in a loving world. A hostile person lives in a hostile world: everyone you meet is your mirror." Ken Keyes Jr. / "Life is a solitary cell whose walls are mirrors." -Eugene O'Neill ... rookie, thanks for your reply.
  6. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    02 Apr '15 15:57
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    FMF to hate evil is quite normal. So there is no explanation necessary, and hesse did not intend to propose that.

However it happens that we dislike persons (and I will look up the original quaote sionce I think that "hate" is probably not correct translated), and we wonder why, and the the quote is quite correct. I have often observed that people can't stand their own weaknesses in others.

Cheers!
    "I have often observed that people can't stand their own weaknesses in others." Well said, Ponderable.
  7. SubscriberThe Gravedigger
    Jack Torrance
    Overlook Hotel
    Moves
    02 Apr '15 20:50
    Here is a queer thing guys.
    I am rich. not bill gates or warren buffet rich.
    But worth about 2 million quid kinda rich.

Yet I hate everyone including myself.
    Steadily drinking myself to death and wondering who to leave my money to.
  8. Joined
    28 Jul '07
    Moves
    02 Apr '15 20:57
    Originally posted by The Gravedigger
    Here is a queer thing guys.
    I am rich. not bill gates or warren buffet rich.
    But worth about 2 million quid kinda rich.

Yet I hate everyone including myself.
    Steadily drinking myself to death and wondering who to leave my money to.
    Burn it. The KLF did.
  9. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    02 Apr '15 21:241 edit
    "If you hate a person, you hate something in him that is part of yourself.
    What isn't part of ourselves doesn't disturb us." ~Hermann Hesse

The first question is what did Hesse mean by "part of yourself". which appears to be an implied reference to an individual's norms and standards of morality or conscience. If respect fo ...[text shortened]... is a solitary cell whose walls are mirrors." -Eugene O'Neill ... rookie, thanks for your reply.
    governor pence, governor pence!!!
    it's a question that can be answered yes or no!!!
    stop with the ole soft shoe and answer the dang question!!!
  10. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    02 Apr '15 22:11
    Originally posted by rookie54
    governor pence, governor pence!!!
    it's a question that can be answered yes or no!!!
    stop with the ole soft shoe and answer the dang question!!!
    Originally posted by rookie54 (Page 2)
    nice quote...

do you think it to be so???

You asked for my thoughts which have been provided. You now have three options: agree; disagree; or ignore them.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Apr '15 00:44
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    Maybe it's a poor translation then that renders the Herman Hesse pretentious claptrap. 🙂
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Apr '15 00:45
    "I have often observed that people can't stand their own weaknesses in others." Well said, Ponderable.
    But this isn't what the daft Herman Hesse quote says.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Apr '15 00:551 edit
    The first question is what did Hesse mean by "part of yourself". which appears to be an implied reference to an individual's norms and standards of morality or conscience. If respect for the person and property and freedom of others is part of these standards, violations such as rape or murder or theft or refusal to recognize the freedom of others would ...[text shortened]... se standards are not present, then the same violations wouldn't "disturb" that same individual.
    Something other than waffle would be a more interesting response from you. If someone hates a man that would rape and impregnate his daughter, throw acid in a woman's face, deliberately poison his neighbours, or traffic teenage girls as sex workers, and then you have Herman Hesse trotting out some blithe nonsense like "If you hate a person, you hate something in him that is part of yourself", how are the daughter-rape-impregnation, acid-poison-vengeance, and child-sex-trafficker things "part" of the person who hates the perpetrator and the perpetration of these deeds?
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Apr '15 01:01
    Substituting the word "criticize" for "hate" in the same quote: "If you [criticize] a person, you [criticize] something in him that is part of yourself. What isn't part of ourselves doesn't disturb us." (because you're already aware of and recognize these shortcomings in yourself) would make literal sense without speculation over his meaning of "part of yourself".
    You may well feel "hated" whenever you are "criticized" Grampy Bobby, but you simply cannot conflate the meaning of "criticize" and "hate", not in conventional English. They are not synonyms.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Apr '15 01:04
    ...Courage to see reality steady and to see it whole requires vision and grace under fire, not the brain melt pettiness of allowing hate to fixate on other people.
    You would characterize hating daughter rape, child/sex trafficking, revenge murder/attacks and the like as "pettiness"?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree