Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    Can we add a third option?
    Yes. Getting wired, perhaps.
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    30 Oct '17 16:12
    Originally posted by @drewnogal
    Neither! They both had disastrous effects upon me though I didn't realise it until I was older. The alcohol, even in moderate amounts, made me depressed and the cannabis made me paranoid. I believe I would have ended up being admitted to hospital with psychosis if I'd not stoped it at around 20 years of age.

Severe intoxication with alcohol can cause d ...[text shortened]... organ failure and death. There's no antidote. Cannabis doesn't result in death in tha same way.
    I find that the mentally ill often use drugs of some sort or alcoholics.

So do you reckon the drugs cause it or do the mentally ill simply seek out drugs as an escape?
  3. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    30 Oct '17 16:24
    Originally posted by @whodey

So do you reckon the drugs cause it or do the mentally ill simply seek out drugs as an escape?
    Both.
  4. Joined
    15 Jun '10
    Moves
    30 Oct '17 18:50
    Originally posted by @whodey

Never did me any harm; I still have a very good memory as far as I'm aware, I still have a very good memory as far as I'm aware.
  5. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    30 Oct '17 19:15
    Originally posted by @indonesia-phil
    Never did me any harm; I still have a very good memory as far as I'm aware, I still have a very good memory as far as I'm aware.
    I think 'most people' can dabble with drugs at some point in their life and suffer no long term damage. Unfortunately there is a pool of people however who are susceptible to drug induced psychosis and symptoms that are short lived in your average Joe (like paranoia or racing thoughts) don't subside and develop in to long term mental health problems like schizophrenia. - I often liken it to a glass with a hairline crack that is more likely to shatter as the result of trauma.

So although the odds are in our favour, taking drugs like cannabis will always be a bit of a lottery. (As we never really know which of us have the hairline cracks).
  6. Joined
    15 Jun '10
    Moves
    30 Oct '17 20:19
    I think 'most people' can dabble with drugs at some point in their life and suffer no long term damage. Unfortunately there is a pool of people however who are susceptible to drug induced psychosis and symptoms that are short lived in your average Joe (like paranoia or racing thoughts) don't subside and develop in to long term mental health problems ...[text shortened]... ll always be a bit of a lottery. (As we never really know which of us have the hairline cracks).
    Very true; I have certain friends who didn't make it into later adult life in a good mental condition. I know this is a relative term but you know what I mean. Young people in particular do things to their brains which they had best not do, and as you say, most of us get away with it...
  7. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    30 Oct '17 20:38
    Ah, it was the mid 1970's at a chess tournament in Dallas where a senior master asked me if I had anything to smoke. Of course I did. In between every round we smoked a doobie of some Columbian. We ended up tied for first place.
    Those were the days my friend.
  8. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    30 Oct '17 20:51
    Very true; I have certain friends who didn't make it into later adult life in a good mental condition. I know this is a relative term but you know what I mean. Young people in particular do things to their brains which they had best not do, and as you say, most of us get away with it...
    An increasing number of referrals we receive these days (in the team I work in) are for younger people suffering with their mental health. It really is tragic.
  9. Joined
    15 Jun '10
    Moves
    30 Oct '17 22:46
    An increasing number of referrals we receive these days (in the team I work in) are for younger people suffering with their mental health. It really is tragic.
    Is it mostly drug related?
  10. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    31 Oct '17 08:44
    Is it mostly drug related?
    Quite often the 'cause' is unknown, so hard to say with any certainty. But I wouldn't say it was 'mostly' drug related. (More a mix of biological and psychological factors).
  11. Gothenburg
    Moves
    31 Oct '17 08:54
    Quite often the 'cause' is unknown, so hard to say with any certainty. But I wouldn't say it was 'mostly' drug related. (More a mix of biological and psychological factors).
    As perhaps you know already, I have grown-up children and grown-up grandchildren too, at least three of them. I feel deeply for young people growing up in despair and chaos. Knowing these kids, as you do, can you see that there is a strength and a will with some of them to help them through their extreme difficulties?
  12. Gothenburg
    Moves
    31 Oct '17 09:581 edit
    Originally posted by @lemondrop
    if you've never been stoned then you have wasted your youth
    We didn't do drugs when I grew up, I never heard of them until years later.
  13. Gothenburg
    Moves
    31 Oct '17 10:58
    Originally posted by @torunn
    As perhaps you know already, I have grown-up children and grown-up grandchildren too, at least three of them. I feel deeply for young people growing up in despair and chaos. Knowing these kids, as you do, can you see that there is a strength and a will with some of them to help them through their extreme difficulties?
    Before I get any more thumbs down, I just want to add that my family has not been spared from despair and unhappiness. We have been lucky this far though, things have worked out, and for that we are forever grateful.
  14. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    31 Oct '17 11:20
    Have restored the thumb balance. 🙂

I think young people have an amazing capacity to cope and recover from some really difficult situations. Indeed, it is often harder to get positive results for mental health clients who are referred to us later in life.
  15. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    31 Oct '17 11:40
    The only possible reason that you could have got a thumbs down here is that the reader has a limited capacity for understanding the vulnerabilities that occur in childhood and adolescence.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree