1. Joined
    15 Jun '10
    Moves
    31 Oct '17 12:19
    Originally posted by @torunn
    As perhaps you know already, I have grown-up children and grown-up grandchildren too, at least three of them. I feel deeply for young people growing up in despair and chaos. Knowing these kids, as you do, can you see that there is a strength and a will with some of them to help them through their extreme difficulties?
    Why do you think young people are growing up in despair and chaos, and why are they having extreme difficulties? I'm not in any way disagreeing with you, and my question is genuine. Do you think the despair, chaos and difficulties relate to prevailing social, economic or other circumstances, or do you think that growing up is always like that, regardless of external factors?
  2. Gothenburg
    Moves
    31 Oct '17 14:371 edit
    Originally posted by @indonesia-phil
    Why do you think young people are growing up in despair and chaos, and why are they having extreme difficulties? I'm not in any way disagreeing with you, and my question is genuine. Do you think the despair, chaos and difficulties relate to prevailing social, economic or other circumstances, or do you think that growing up is always like that, regardless of external factors?
    I was referring to the young people growing up under difficult circumstances. I live in a city - the second largest city in Sweden. I use public transportation daily and I spend many hours a week in the city centre. I see young people in situations where they shouldn't be and I read - as we all do - about drug-related crime and tragedies. Drugs are not for young people.
  3. Gothenburg
    Moves
    31 Oct '17 15:04
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    Have restored the thumb balance. 🙂

I think young people have an amazing capacity to cope and recover from some really difficult situations. Indeed, it is often harder to get positive results for mental health clients who are referred to us later in life.
    Thank you! So reassuring to read.
  4. Gothenburg
    Moves
    31 Oct '17 15:06
    Originally posted by @drewnogal
    The only possible reason that you could have got a thumbs down here is that the reader has a limited capacity for understanding the vulnerabilities that occur in childhood and adolescence.
    Thank you, Drew. I'm so glad that most of my grandchildren have passed the dangers of adolescence - two more to go, 16 and 9 years old. 🙂
  5. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    31 Oct '17 17:18
    I have been both (neither for a very long time) but I vote stoned.
  6. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    01 Nov '17 03:59
    Can we add a third option?
    stoned with a few drinks?

or drunk with a little hit on top?

Oops, hang on. That's 4 now ....
    (and I have another 30 odd posts to read through)

Thanks apathist
  7. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    01 Nov '17 04:03
    Originally posted by @lemondrop
    if you've never been stoned then you have wasted your youth
    and your old age ... ie. if you only persist with alcohol ...

But hey, listen to me drivel on. Everyone is unique and only knows for themselves the best combination (or not) .

Having said that it's rare for me to want (or even stomach) a beer in the morning whereas I can chop up first thing in the morning and for the rest of the day if I want
  8. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    01 Nov '17 04:061 edit
    I have been both in extremis when I wore a younger mans' trousers. The one ( very stoned) tended to induce a high state of paranoia, the other ( very drunk) made one fall over, often in unusual places, and not get up again for a bit. Stupid thing is I kept trying them both but the result was mostly the same. In the end I settled for moderation in bot ...[text shortened]... ke it to the limit, one more time...
    P.S. I have since given the younger man his trousers back.
    First decent answer. Thank you.

All you other one or two worders are just plain boring.

i guess you would all turn down a snort of coke if you got offered (yeah right!! )
  9. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    01 Nov '17 04:08
    Originally posted by @drewnogal
    Neither! They both had disastrous effects upon me though I didn't realise it until I was older. The alcohol, even in moderate amounts, made me depressed and the cannabis made me paranoid. I believe I would have ended up being admitted to hospital with psychosis if I'd not stoped it at around 20 years of age.

Severe intoxication with alcohol can cause d ...[text shortened]... organ failure and death. There's no antidote. Cannabis doesn't result in death in tha same way.
    So meth??
  10. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    01 Nov '17 04:111 edit
    Originally posted by @sonhouse
    My guess is you had to big a dose of THC. I haven't done weed in decades, did quite a bit in Thailand but 2 times caused me to pretty much stop, once I heated up a teaspoon of thai stick and ate it and I was in serious trouble for hours, not fun at all. Another time, too much bong and didn't like that either. Taught me a valuable lesson. Now not really int ...[text shortened]... I don't play guitar worth a shyte when I am stoned and that is important to me, to play my best.
    Opposite for me with guitar dude.
    I got a real talkative/jumpy personality. Weed keeps me relaxed so I dont stress and get anxiety flare ups.

I think the trick is to have a bit in your system,
    Anyone who takes 6 or more months off weed, then has a bit, will have their world rocked. Guaranteed
  11. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    01 Nov '17 04:15
    Originally posted by @whodey
    I find that the mentally ill often use drugs of some sort or alcoholics.

So do you reckon the drugs cause it or do the mentally ill simply seek out drugs as an escape?
    I think drugs and especially alcohol amplifies any problems that might already be there.
    In a way it's like blaming guns for gun violence.
  12. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    01 Nov '17 04:18
    I think 'most people' can dabble with drugs at some point in their life and suffer no long term damage. Unfortunately there is a pool of people however who are susceptible to drug induced psychosis and symptoms that are short lived in your average Joe (like paranoia or racing thoughts) don't subside and develop in to long term mental health problems ...[text shortened]... ll always be a bit of a lottery. (As we never really know which of us have the hairline cracks).
    This coming from a mental health professional who (I assume) deals with these types on a regular basis.
    I have no doubt that the contents of your post was accurate however would you have any real overall stats on how many people lose it on weed as compared to alcohol?
  13. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    01 Nov '17 04:20
    Very true; I have certain friends who didn't make it into later adult life in a good mental condition. I know this is a relative term but you know what I mean. Young people in particular do things to their brains which they had best not do, and as you say, most of us get away with it...
    The human body and brain are very resilient. especially if you give them a fair chance to recover.

This is what we should teach young people who are going to smoke weed no matter what you say to them.
  14. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    01 Nov '17 04:21
    Originally posted by @torunn
    We didn't do drugs when I grew up, I never heard of them until years later.
    Did you get drunk?
  15. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    01 Nov '17 12:11
    Originally posted by @karoly-aczel
    This coming from a mental health professional who (I assume) deals with these types on a regular basis.
    I have no doubt that the contents of your post was accurate however would you have any real overall stats on how many people lose it on weed as compared to alcohol?
    No stats to give you, just 20 years of experience and observations in the field.

Personally, I would say drugs like cannabis are more likely to lead to psychosis than alcohol, and that people suffering from psychosis are more likely to turn to alcohol for comfort than cannabis. (Alcohol abuse is more likely to lead to physical conditions like cirrhosis of the liver or mental conditions like Korsakoff syndrome; a form of dementia).

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree