Swimming pool issue, need chemist advice

Swimming pool issue, need chemist advice

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
01 Jul 18

Originally posted by @suzianne
See, this is why I don't have a pool.

I just sponge off friends all summer.

๐Ÿ˜€
The sad thing is I myself rarely go in the damn thing๐Ÿ™‚ Just kids, grandkids, wife and friends. It's a pain in the ass to keep it going, constant loading of chemicals, is the dam Ph right, alkalinity ok and so forth.

free tazer tickles..

wildly content...

Moves
01 Jul 18

Originally posted by @sonhouse
My son put in way too much clarifier, it says one ounce per 5k gallons, my pool is only 10k so 2 ounces, but he put in a lot more than that.

When the pool was turgid the filter would go from 9PSI to 12 or so, indicating it needed backwashing.

Now,the pressure has stayed at 9 for 3 days now, clearly the particles are too small to be trapped by the san ...[text shortened]... ipitate out.

Is that the only thing I can do? Any advice would be helpful. Thanks in advance.
certified pool operator here...
mine is a 76K gallon pool, for the use of our hoa...

1. what are the warnings associated with the clarifier you used???
if everything else is moving along swimmingly (see what i did there?) just go swimming...
2. there is a product, cellulose fiber, that when added to yer sand filter, via the skimmers, greatly increase the efficiency of yer sand filter...
the following link is leslie's pool supply's information...
https://www.lesliespool.com/Leslies-Cellulose-Fiber-Bag-for-DE-Filters-3-lbs/Cellulose-Fiber.htm?suggest=filter%20media
don't panic when you read that this is for DE filters, it works very well in sand filters...
it will, just like DE, backwash out of the filter, so leave it in there as long as you can...

i was introduced to this stuff several years ago when a major three day rainstorm washed three tons of mud into my pool, goodness gravy, what a mess...
i was vacuuming and backwashing the goop without a lot of success as the mud particulate was tiny tiny...
after adding the cellulose however, my twin filters started catching a LOT more gunk and allowing me to backwash it out...
it took me nigh on to two weeks to get my pool looking swell and swimmable...

my sage advice, one, don't sweat the stuff already done, as it prolly will not hurt yer guests,
two, beat yer boy until he learns to read labels,
three, thank me later, after all the hard work is done...

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
02 Jul 18

Originally posted by @rookie54
certified pool operator here...
mine is a 76K gallon pool, for the use of our hoa...

1. what are the warnings associated with the clarifier you used???
if everything else is moving along swimmingly (see what i did there?) just go swimming...
2. there is a product, cellulose fiber, that when added to yer sand filter, via the skimmers, greatly increase ...[text shortened]... r boy until he learns to read labels,
three, thank me later, after all the hard work is done...
Ah, thanks for that, will investigate. Pool is looking better now though. Can see bottom finally. The pressure was stuck at 9 PSI for at least 4 days after that dunking of clarifier but is is resolving now. I bought a new gadget, a leave brush with a bag that catches them, something new at least for me. Cleared out a lot of leaves when I finally could see the bottom for first time this year which will mean a lot better vacuuming when I get around to that after pool is really clear.
BTW it is an above ground pool and one thing I notice, algae on the liner I can't so far seem to brush off. Any way to get rid of that?

free tazer tickles..

wildly content...

Moves
03 Jul 18

algae on the liner I can't so far seem to brush off. Any way to get rid of that?
chlorine (or bromine) and keep brushing...
it may look like yer making zero progress, keep brushing...
there are also algaecides you can buy in concentrate bottles, but do not depend on these unless your algae problem is out of control...
maintaining a ph of 7.4/7.6 and chlorine levels of 2/3 ppm will keep yer pool clear...

now,
about the leaves you say yer finally getting out of yer pool...
this should have been done FIRST...
THEN balance yer water...
do not add chemicals, especially things like clarifier or super algaecide until the water is free of debris...
dang son, there ought be naught but treated water in yer pool...
and when there is naught but treated water in yer pool, you won't have an algae problem...

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
04 Jul 18

Originally posted by @rookie54
chlorine (or bromine) and keep brushing...
it may look like yer making zero progress, keep brushing...
there are also algaecides you can buy in concentrate bottles, but do not depend on these unless your algae problem is out of control...
maintaining a ph of 7.4/7.6 and chlorine levels of 2/3 ppm will keep yer pool clear...

now,
about the leaves you ...[text shortened]... l...
and when there is naught but treated water in yer pool, you won't have an algae problem...
Yeah, the leaves and such are mostly gone and I can see the bottom finally which really helps to brush out the remaining debris. Have to quit for today, thunderstorm, power went out briefly just now, had to reset all the crap in the house, Dish network, computer and such. I am mostly back now. Thundering like hell right now. That's what we usually pay here in Pennsylvania after a heat wave.

HoH
Thug

Playing with matches

Moves
05 Jul 18

My son put in way too much clarifier, it says one ounce per 5k gallons, my pool is only 10k so 2 ounces, but he put in a lot more than that.

When the pool was turgid the filter would go from 9PSI to 12 or so, indicating it needed backwashing.

Now,the pressure has stayed at 9 for 3 days now, clearly the particles are too small to be trapped by the san ...[text shortened]... ipitate out.

Is that the only thing I can do? Any advice would be helpful. Thanks in advance.
Sounds like your son is dumb as a Labradoodle.

Madison Square Garde

Moves
06 Jul 18

Get an earth filter

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
06 Jul 18

Chlorine. That is how we kill your disgusting germs. Not sure how to get spunk out of hot-tubs though.

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
06 Jul 18

Originally posted by @hand-of-hecate
Sounds like your son is dumb as a Labradoodle.
ah fck you respond to an actual question by insisting you are stupid. hand, i got you. stay out of my way.

u
The So Fist

Voice of Reason

Moves
12 Jul 18
1 edit

toss in some mentos...the freshmaker!

u
The So Fist

Voice of Reason

Moves
12 Jul 18

Do you know the dif between 'clarifier' and flocculant? I thought they were the same but not sure.
I'm pretty sure those two are opposites

IP

Moves
12 Jul 18

Do you know the dif between 'clarifier' and flocculant? I thought they were the same but not sure.
I'm not sure what either of them are, we just use chlorine tablets and let the PH or whatever look after itself. Crystals about once a month, but I'm not sure what they do and they don't seem to make any difference. We have people to do things but I look after the swimming pool, in there most days with a net and hoover thing, it's a tough life...

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
13 Jul 18

Originally posted by @indonesia-phil
I'm not sure what either of them are, we just use chlorine tablets and let the PH or whatever look after itself. Crystals about once a month, but I'm not sure what they do and they don't seem to make any difference. We have people to do things but I look after the swimming pool, in there most days with a net and hoover thing, it's a tough life...
It was looking ok for a while but now is green as an emerald. New batch of algae that doesn't seem to succumb to a huge batch of shock. WTF? I guess I have to take a sample to the pool place, maybe the Ph is off the wall?

HoH
Thug

Playing with matches

Moves
13 Jul 18

It was looking ok for a while but now is green as an emerald. New batch of algae that doesn't seem to succumb to a huge batch of shock. WTF? I guess I have to take a sample to the pool place, maybe the Ph is off the wall?
I’m an expert on pools. Ask me anything.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
14 Jul 18

Originally posted by @hand-of-hecate
I’m an expert on pools. Ask me anything.
You mean like pools of blood?