1. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    16 May '14 00:163 edits
    Originally posted by NoEarthlyReason
    I'm not a medical professional, and if I were, I probably wouldn't pay that much close attention to the numeric utterances of patients. But I would eat prawn toast more often.
    NER, please scan the this excerpt from the Home Page text again; it's unlike you to belittle a topic worthy of tour intellect:
    "Personality Disorders are serious mental-health conditions which affect millions of people and are often misunderstood and undiagnosed.

Personality Disorders negatively affect the quality of life not only of the people who suffer from them, but also their family members, spouses, partners, friends, colleagues and acquaintances.

The emphasis of Out of the FOG is on describing Personality Disorders from a Non-Personality-Disordered individual’s point of view. In other words; what is it like to live with a person with NPD or BPD? Where can you find help when you have a parent with a Histrionic or Dependent Personality Disorder? How do you cope when confronted with the prospect of caring for someone with Obsessive-Compulsive or Avoidant Personality Disorder?

The descriptions of Personality Disorders given here are based on both the clinical criteria used for formal diagnosis, and on the experiences of people who have cared for someone who suffers from a Personality Disorder - what it feels like, what works and what doesn’t."
    Thank you. -Bob
  2. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    16 May '14 00:20
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    NER, please scan the this excerpt from the Home Page text again; it's unlike you to belittle a topic worthy of tour intellect:
    "Personality Disorders are serious mental-health conditions which affect millions of people and are often misunderstood and undiagnosed.

Personality Disorders negatively affect the quality of life not only of the peo ...[text shortened]... Personality Disorder - what it feels like, what works and what doesn’t."
    Thank you. -Bob
    The GF is unworthy of this topic. You should learn to discuss such things in more appropriate arenas. And making light of is not belittling.
  3. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    16 May '14 00:25
    The GF is unworthy of this topic. You should learn to discuss such things in more appropriate arenas. And making light of is not belittling.
    RHP General Forum: "General discussion. If it's off-topic, or you're not sure where to put it, put it here." -Russ

The GF is unworthy of this topic....

May I ask what topics you do consider worthy of this public forum?
  4. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    16 May '14 00:30
    [b]RHP General Forum: "General discussion. If it's off-topic, or you're not sure where to put it, put it here." -Russ

The GF is unworthy of this topic....

May I ask what topics you do consider worthy of this public forum?[/b]
    You ought to be intelligent enough and possess enough empathy to take precedent into account, not just the letter of the 'law' as laid down by Russ. I will say no more on the matter as I don't feel it's worth wasting any more energy.
  5. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    16 May '14 01:05
    You ought to be intelligent enough and possess enough empathy to take precedent into account, not just the letter of the 'law' as laid down by Russ. I will say no more on the matter as I don't feel it's worth wasting any more energy.
    Thanks for weighing in. As John Locke observed: "We arrive at the truth through the honest disagreement among friends."
  6. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    16 May '14 01:13
    Top 100 Traits of Personality-Disordered Individuals

41. Identity Disturbance -
    A psychological term used to describe a distorted or inconsistent self-view

42. Imposed Isolation - When abuse results in a person becoming isolated from their support network, including friends and family.

43. Impulsiveness - The tendency to act or speak based on current feelings rather than logical reasoning.

44. Infantilization - Treating a child as if they are much younger than their actual age.

45. Intimidation - Any form of veiled, hidden, indirect or non-verbal threat.

46. Invalidation - The creation or promotion of an environment which encourages an individual to believe that their thoughts, beliefs, values or physical presence are inferior, flawed, problematic or worthless.

47. Lack of Conscience - Individuals who suffer from Personality Disorders are often preoccupied with their own agendas, sometimes to the exclusion of the needs and concerns of others. This is sometimes interpreted by others as a lack of moral conscience.

48. Lack of Object Constancy - An inability to remember that people or objects are consistent, trustworthy and reliable, especially when they are out of your immediate field of vision.

49. Low Self-Esteem - A common name for a negatively-distorted self-view which is inconsistent with reality." (to be continued) http://outofthefog.net/CommonBehaviors/Top100Traits.html
  7. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    16 May '14 03:21

"50. Manipulation -
    The practice of steering an individual into a desired behavior for the purpose of achieving a hidden personal goal.

51. Masking - Covering up one's own natural outward appearance, mannerisms and speech in dramatic and inconsistent ways depending on the situation.

52. Mirroring - Imitating or copying another person's characteristics, behaviors or traits.

53. Moments of Clarity - Spontaneous periods when a person with a Personality Disorder becomes more objective and tries to make amends.

54. Mood Swings - Unpredictable, rapid, dramatic emotional cycles which cannot be readily explained by changes in external circumstances.

55. Munchausen's and Munchausen by Proxy Syndrome - A disorder in which an individual repeatedly fakes or exaggerates medical symptoms in order to manipulate the attentions of medical professionals or caregivers.

56. Name-Calling - Use of profane, derogatory or dehumanizing terminology to describe another individual or group.

57. Narcissism - A set of behaviors characterized by a pattern of grandiosity, self-centered focus, need for admiration, self-serving attitude and a lack of empathy or consideration for others.

58. Neglect - A passive form of abuse in which the physical or emotional needs of a dependent are disregarded or ignored by the person responsible for them.

59. Normalizing - Normalizing is a tactic used to desensitize an individual to abusive, coercive or inappropriate behaviors. In essence, normalizing is the manipulation of another human being to get them to agree to, or accept something that is in conflict with the law, social norms or their own basic code of behavior.

60. "Not My Fault" Syndrome - The practice of avoiding personal responsibility for one's own words and actions.

61. No-Win Scenarios - When you are manipulated into choosing between two bad options." (to be continued) http://outofthefog.net/CommonBehaviors/Top100Traits.html
  8. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    16 May '14 04:39
    I'll post in this thread if I can ever string all these traits together. Otherwise meh 😞
  9. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    16 May '14 05:29
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    I'll post in this thread if I can ever string all these traits together. Otherwise meh 😞
    There has to be a trait for meh.
  10. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    16 May '14 07:081 edit
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    "Meh is an interjection used as an expression of indifference or boredom. It may also mean "be it as it may".
    It is often regarded as a verbal shrug of the shoulders." -wiki.org/slang... O/FOG 21., 26., 41., 49., 61?
  11. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    16 May '14 07:20

"62. Objectification -
    The practice of treating a person or a group of people like an object.

63. Obsessive-Compulsive Behavior - An inflexible adherence to arbitrary rules and systems, or an illogical adherence to cleanliness and orderly structure.

64. Panic Attacks - Short intense episodes of fear or anxiety, often accompanied by physical symptoms, such as hyperventilating, shaking, sweating and chills.

65. Parental Alienation Syndrome - When a separated parent convinces their child that the other parent is bad, evil or worthless.

66. Parentification - A form of role reversal, in which a child is inappropriately given the role of meeting the emotional or physical needs of the parent or of the family’s other children.

67. Passive-Aggressive Behavior - Expressing negative feelings in an unassertive, passive way.

68. Pathological Lying - Persistent deception by an individual to serve their own interests and needs with little or no regard to the needs and concerns of others. A pathological liar is a person who habitually lies to serve their own needs.

69. Perfectionism - The maladaptive practice of holding oneself or others to an unrealistic, unattainable or unsustainable standard of organization, order, or accomplishment in one particular area of living, while sometimes neglecting common standards of organization, order or accomplishment in other areas of living.

70. Physical Abuse - Any form of voluntary behavior by one individual which inflicts pain, disease or discomfort on another, or deprives them of necessary health, nutrition and comfort.

71. Projection - The act of attributing one's own feelings or traits to another person and imagining or believing that the other person has those same feelings or traits.

72. Proxy Recruitment - A way of controlling or abusing another person by manipulating other people into unwittingly backing “doing the dirty work”

73. Push-Pull - A chronic pattern of sabotaging and re-establishing closeness in a relationship without appropriate cause or reason." (to be continued) http://outofthefog.net/CommonBehaviors/Top100Traits.html
  12. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    16 May '14 11:18
    [b]Top 100 Traits of Personality-Disordered Individuals

"62. Objectification -
    The practice of treating a person or a group of people like an object.

63. Obsessive-Compulsive Behavior - An inflexible adherence to arbitrary rules and systems, or an illogical adherence to cleanliness and orderly structure.

64. Panic Attacks - ...[text shortened]... ate cause or reason." (to be continued) http://outofthefog.net/CommonBehaviors/Top100Traits.html[/b]
    I have a 64 every time suzie calls me Vince.
  13. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    16 May '14 16:30

"74. Raging, Violence and Impulsive Aggression -
    Explosive verbal, physical or emotional elevations of a dispute. Rages threaten the security or safety of another individual and violate their personal boundaries.

75. Riding the Emotional Elevator - Taking a fast track to different levels of emotional maturity.

76. Sabotage - The spontaneous disruption of calm or status quo in order to serve a personal interest, provoke a conflict or draw attention.

77. Scapegoating - Singling out an individual or group for unmerited negative treatment or blame.

78. Selective Memory and Selective Amnesia - The use of memory, or a lack of memory, which is selective to the point of reinforcing a bias, belief or desired outcome.

79. Selective Competence - The practice of demonstrating different levels of intelligence or ability depending on the situation or environment.

80. Self-Aggrandizement - A pattern of pompous behavior, boasting, narcissism or competitiveness designed to create an appearance of superiority.

81. Self-Harm - Self Harm, also known as self-mutilation, self-injury or self-abuse is any form of deliberate, premeditated injury inflicted on oneself, common among adolescents and among people who suffer from Borderline Personality Disorder. The most common forms are cutting and poisoning/overdosing.

82. Self-Loathing - An extreme hatred of one's own self, actions or one's ethnic or demographic background."
    (to be continued) http://outofthefog.net/CommonBehaviors/Top100Traits.html
  14. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    16 May '14 16:31
    Originally posted by redbarons
    I have a 64 every time suzie calls me Vince.
    Any idea why?
  15. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    16 May '14 17:231 edit
    79. Selective Competence - The practice of demonstrating different levels of intelligence or ability depending on the situation or environment.
    A lot of women do this when dealing with men.

With some men, it may be a good idea not to seem smarter than they are.

Women know this from experience.

I wouldn't put it on this list. It's not exactly an unconscious decision to do this most of the time. It's usually done on purpose to avoid pissing off certain men, for example, an insecure supervisor, especially those involved in #80, Self-Aggrandizement.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree