What's your IQ?

What's your IQ?

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R

Moves
27 Sep 13

Originally posted by SwissGambit
Thomas was the only disciple who asked for evidence. I admire that in a person.
I wasn't saying it's a bad thing.

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
27 Sep 13
1 edit

Originally posted by Tygert
According to the Stanford-Binet system, mine is 161. Is this good or bad compared to the average person?

EDIT: what is it like compared to the average chess player?
Probably the answers are already there but I put the main facts together:

* IQ is presumed to be normally distributed (Gauss distribution)
* the median is set to be 100.
* Normal IQ tests measure between 70 and 130 to obtain results out of the boundary you need specialized tests (e.g. the MENSA test which measures from 115 to 145 reliably).
*Values below 55 and beyond 145 are not statistically relevant. So 161 is not distinguishible from 155 or 170, since there not enough people to calibrate.

To answer the questions:

a) I am member of Mensa
b) IQ and chess ability are only losely related.

R

Moves
28 Sep 13

Originally posted by Ponderable
Probably the answers are already there but I put the main facts together:

* IQ is presumed to be normally distributed (Gauss distribution)
* the median is set to be 100.
* Normal IQ tests measure between 70 and 130 to obtain results out of the boundary you need specialized tests (e.g. the MENSA test which measures from 115 to 145 reliably).
*Values ...[text shortened]... swer the questions:

a) I am member of Mensa
b) IQ and chess ability are only losely related.
Thank you for answering the question. FINALLY someone...

Moves
28 Sep 13

Thank goodness. Now we (you) can move on.

Who's in IT?

Moves
28 Sep 13

Originally posted by Great Big Stees
Thank goodness. Now we (you) can move on.
Not likely, Tygert clearly intends to milk any attention he can get.

R

Moves
28 Sep 13

Originally posted by divegeester
Not likely, Tygert clearly intends to milk any attention he can get.
Nah I think (or rather hope) that everyone can get over themselves.

Latvian Trickster

Krell lab

Moves
29 Sep 13
1 edit

According to the Stanford-Binet system, mine is 161. Is this good or bad compared to the average person?

I think it is quite good, but it is surprising that you don't know that. Perhaps you do?

Edit, a quick look through the thread indicates I'm not the first to make that assumption.

old pueblo

Moves
29 Sep 13

I was asking for what other people's was because I heard that chess players are generally very clever. (two of the top ten highest IQs in the world are held by Garry Kasparov and Judit Polgar)
There is no reason to call me a retard.
I used to believe that too. After spending a bit of time on the forums, I decided that chess players are simply good at chess and the skills it requires. My IQ is high enough, but my main skills are in verbal/linguistics, which doesn't translate well to success on a chess board.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
29 Sep 13
2 edits

Is this the list of the 10 smartest? It has Judit in it but I don't see Vos Savant. Her adult IQ is still above 180, also President Clinton was around 180 also and Stormin' Norman, General Shwartzkopf was about 180. Why weren't they on the list?

http://www.superscholar.org/smartest-people/

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
29 Sep 13

Originally posted by Agerg
[b]When you take a test, don't always go for the 100%, introduce a few errors on purpose, I found that easier than always being right.

I disagree with this bit, if the intention is to make it easier to interact with people who are not capable of even getting close to this then surely it is better to be deceptive just in words than being deceptive in act ...[text shortened]... not been my own contention here that he could, then he should not shy away from attaining them.[/b]
Well I got a bit ostracized when I was young, at least till college. You get wary when you are in a class with college kids and you end up getting your books thrown up on top of a roof.

Sorry if I gave offense.

w

Moves
29 Sep 13

Thank you! Please just relax Agerg.
The ten are:
1. William James Sidis
2. Terence Tao
3. Christopher Hirata
4. Kim Ung-Yong
5. Garry Kasparov
6. Marilyn Vos Savant
7. Leonardo da Vinci
8. Judit Polgar
9. Albert Einstein
10. Stephen Hawking
And Bobby Fischer could have kicked all their arses.

Go figure.

w
misanthrope

seclusion

Moves
30 Sep 13
1 edit

Einstein was 160. I don't believe for a second that you're 161.

The only person on RHP higher than Einstein is of course RJHinds, who knows more than any physicist or other scientist in history 😉

Just for the record, to answer your question - mine was given as a percentile rank in the USAF back in 1974 when I was younger and sharper. 93rd percentile which equates to around the 124 I was tested at in high school. Not great, but I'm happy with it. I'm pretty sure it has dropped dramatically, after years of substance abuse, health issues, and advancing old age (I'm 59 now). A 161 would place you in the 99.993 percentile...MENSA members need a 98 percentile (genius).

This was apparent with one of my recent games, where I dropped my queen to a discovered check. Never did that before in any OTB game, so here at RHP it's inexcusable.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
30 Sep 13

Originally posted by woodypusher

The only person on RHP higher than Einstein is of course RJHinds, who knows more than any physicist or other scientist in history 😉

Just for the record, to answer your question - mine was given as a percentile rank in the USAF back in 1974 when I was younger and sharper. 93rd percent ...[text shortened]... n to a discovered check. Never did that before in any OTB game, so here at RHP it's inexcusable.
Excellent quotations in your site profile.

itiswhatitis

oLd ScHoOl

Moves
30 Sep 13

Just for the record, to answer your question - mine was given as a percentile rank in the USAF back in 1974 when I was younger and sharper. 93rd percent ...[text shortened]... n to a discovered check. Never did that before in any OTB game, so here at RHP it's inexcusable.
Einstein never had his IQ tested. It was estimated to be between 160 and 180.

R

Moves
30 Sep 13

Too bad. I'm 161 whether you believe it or not.