1. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    08 Jan '14 19:002 edits
    OK, so I arrive at the train station 2 minutes before it's due to leave, normally plenty of time to buy a ticket and get on.

Today however I get an old dude who apparently doesn't know how the ticket machine works (this is his only job - to sell tickets) and takes what feels like a year working it out. I say 'Hurry up, the train is about to leave" and he replies with "You should have gotten here earlier".

I didn't say anything after that because I still had hope of making the train and when he finally did work it out (with the help of a colleague) I ended up just making the train because it was slightly delayed due to a bunch of slow old people. The irony.

In the past I would have kept talking and said something like if he had listened during training I wouldn't need to come earlier. But I decided to save that just in case I did make it. Had I missed it I would have spend the next hour waiting for the next train, and knowing me would have asked to see the manager and bitched until they gave me a discount.

This is Belfast, people don't keep quiet but who was ruder, myself or the ticket guy? Or either?
  2. Joined
    07 Jan '14
    Moves
    08 Jan '14 19:02
    off meds is always forgiven.
  3. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    08 Jan '14 19:09
    Some say he was...Colonel William d'Alton Mann.
  4. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    08 Jan '14 19:13
    Now you may respond 😛
  5. Joined
    10 May '07
    Moves
    08 Jan '14 19:17
    Originally posted by Trev33
    Now you may respond 😛
    You did exactly what I would have done - he should have apologized, I think.
  6. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    08 Jan '14 19:23
    Originally posted by lolof
    You did exactly what I would have done - he should have apologized, I think.
    Over the years I've found to get the best service it's best not to piss people off, but sometimes they are just so inherently stupid it's worth it just to blow off some steam.
  7. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    08 Jan '14 19:25
    2 mins is cutting it a bit fine don't you think?
    What if one or two in front of you for ticket?

And remember;
    one day you will be old and slow.
  8. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    08 Jan '14 19:31
    Now you may respond 😛
    Too late Johnny-come-lately, I already did.
  9. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    08 Jan '14 19:32
    Originally posted by wolfgang59

And remember;
    I agree with Wolfie here. I don't think your "eagerness" was rude, per se, but I also don't blame the old guy for giving you a bit of lip back.
  10. Joined
    10 May '07
    Moves
    08 Jan '14 19:49
    "...an old dude..." - how old do you think he was?
  11. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    08 Jan '14 19:49
    Probably 45 or something.
  12. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    08 Jan '14 20:08
    About 60. Maybe a little older... he looked older than my Dad who is 61.
  13. Joined
    10 May '07
    Moves
    08 Jan '14 20:122 edits
    About 60. Maybe a little older... he looked older than my Dad who is 61.
    Perhaps we are a little slower when we get older - I think I am and I'm older than your dad.
  14. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    08 Jan '14 20:18
    Originally posted by wolfgang59

And remember;
    They have two ticket windows and at that time of day it's always pretty quiet, 2 minutes should have been enough time. Agree I was a little late but still, dude was a complete simpleton. It;s the only thing he has to do to get paid and he doesn't know how... I'm blaming him but the fault lays with whoever hired him.

I'll be one of the guys in their 60s I met traveling around India.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Jan '14 20:27
    Middle-aged male adults are the only productive social layer, productive in sens of earning money which supports nagging wives, spoiled children, slaves of instagram and smartphones, as well as grumbling old men.

And they are at the same time exposed to a silent discrimination. They are supposed to give their seat (both literally and metaphorically) to the screaming children, to give way to older people, they are supposed to work work work and nothing else, and all the pleasure and leisure go to the others.

They aren't even allowed to get to the train station two minutes before train's departure.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree