1. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    08 Jan '14 23:182 edits
    Originally posted by Trev33
    OK, so I arrive at the train station 2 minutes before it's due to leave, normally plenty of time to buy a ticket and get on.

Today however I get an old dude who apparently doesn't know how the ticket machine works (this is his only job - to sell tickets) and takes what feels like a year working it out. I say 'Hurry up, the train is about to leave" and he r ...[text shortened]... This is Belfast, people don't keep quiet but who was ruder, myself or the ticket guy? Or either?
    He can get fired. As an employee he sould keep his trap shut. So him this thread next time you see him. I would have loved to have been his supervisor and heard what he said. And he doesn't know how your day was earlier. Example there could have been a reck on the road on your way.
  2. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    08 Jan '14 23:48
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    He can get fired. As an employee he sould keep his trap shut. So him this thread next time you see him. I would have loved to have been his supervisor and heard what he said. And he doesn't know how your day was earlier. Example there could have been a reck on the road on your way.
    Had I missed the train and complained I'm sure he would have gotten a warning, nothing worse. Pretty sure he was new as I've never seen him before.

It's true though that an employee should never talk back, even if the customer is being an ass. Not the first time I've had a run in with an employee of that company. Two stops beside each other, I stood at the wrong one and waved down the bus... he stopped and said I was standing at the wrong stop. I was listening to music and just nodded my head, then I got some wise ass comment about apologizing. Took the headphones out and asked for his name and employee number and told him I was going to report him, it didn't get any better after that as he ended up swearing.

I did report what happened and received an apology from the company and a coupon for free travel. No idea what happened to the guy, never needed to take that route again... probably a warning but if they were looking for an excuse to cut staff they had one.

I know it works both ways, the customer and employee might have had a crappy day but as an employee you can never take it out on the customer in the west. I've had many more service problems in Peru but it was pointless to complain... silly gringo doesn't know what he's talking about. Plus as a westerner I did expect a higher level of serve that locals did so a lot of the time the problem was merely culture.
  3. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    09 Jan '14 00:25
    Had I missed the train and complained I'm sure he would have gotten a warning, nothing worse. Pretty sure he was new as I've never seen him before.

It's true though that an employee should never talk back, even if the customer is being an ass. Not the first time I've had a run in with an employee of that company. Two stops beside each other, I stood at th ...[text shortened]... ect a higher level of serve that locals did so a lot of the time the problem was merely culture.
    It's funny that he'd want an apology. Sometimes in life you just don't get those. But if both people have to apologize to each other it's better to be the first one because you would look better.
  4. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    09 Jan '14 12:27
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    It's funny that he'd want an apology. Sometimes in life you just don't get those. But if both people have to apologize to each other it's better to be the first one because you would look better.
    Both stops were seriously 10 seconds from each other, maybe less. I think he was having a crappy day and took it out on some random person - me. I know I was being a little rude not by saying anything but still, employees should know better.
  5. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    09 Jan '14 13:07
    Both stops were seriously 10 seconds from each other, maybe less. I think he was having a crappy day and took it out on some random person - me. I know I was being a little rude not by saying anything but still, employees should know better.
    You leave home "problems" at home and you leave work "problems" at work. The customer is always right even when they're wrong.
  6. Green Boots Cave
    Moves
    09 Jan '14 18:05
    OK, so I arrive at the train station 2 minutes before it's due to leave, normally plenty of time to buy a ticket and get on.

Today however I get an old dude who apparently doesn't know how the ticket machine works (this is his only job - to sell tickets) and takes what feels like a year working it out. I say 'Hurry up, the train is about to leave" and he r ...[text shortened]... This is Belfast, people don't keep quiet but who was ruder, myself or the ticket guy? Or either?
    It is difficult to say who was rude without knowing the tone of what was said.
    I feel a bit sorry for the ticket guy though.Just imagine how it is from his side - people asking for tickets at the last possible moment - planned in your case - and then telling him to hurry because they could miss the train.Day after day for years.
    Maybe,next time, if you arrive,say,5 minutes before the train leaves everyone would be happier. 🙂
  7. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    09 Jan '14 18:23
    Originally posted by biffo konker
    It is difficult to say who was rude without knowing the tone of what was said.
    I feel a bit sorry for the ticket guy though.Just imagine how it is from his side - people asking for tickets at the last possible moment - planned in your case - and then telling him to hurry because they could miss the train.Day after day for years.
    Maybe,next time, if you arrive,say,5 minutes before the train leaves everyone would be happier. 🙂
    I think he was new.
  8. Joined
    23 Nov '09
    Moves
    09 Jan '14 18:24

You were. Where does it say that a ticketseller should hand you a ticket within one or two minutes?
  9. Green Boots Cave
    Moves
    09 Jan '14 18:42
    I think he was new.
    Maybe the previous one got fired for strangling a late coming customer who told him to hurry. 😛
  10. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    09 Jan '14 20:05
    Originally posted by biffo konker
    Maybe the previous one got fired for strangling a late coming customer who told him to hurry. 😛
    Good things there's a protective glass between us then 😉I always thought it was there to protect them from us bit now I know THE REAL TRUTH 😲
  11. In your face
    Moves
    09 Jan '14 20:192 edits
    Not being funny Trev but It sounds like you set the tone. In what way did he 'take it out on you'. Sounds like you were quite rude to me. Have you ever worked with Joe public? Do you know what it's like dealing with inconsiderate self absorbed idiots all day who think that the world revolves around THEM?
    If I was at work and someone asked me to 'Hurry up', my response would be ' Please!?' and if that failed then would come the response' You're welcome!'. I think it is quite reasonable to remind people of manners. They don't cost a thing.
    The attitude that people working with the public should be treated like verbal punch bags stinks to high heaven and this guy's response was pretty subdued. If you were in the public and a complete stranger asked you to hurry up, I'm sure that your response would be a little more colourful. Why should someone have to accept rudeness and abuse just because they are work? People don't get paid to be treated like that.
    Sorry but I've worked with the public for most of my life and Christ, there are some idiots out there.
  12. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    09 Jan '14 20:551 edit

It's true though that an employee should never talk back, even if the customer is being an ass. Not the first time I've had a run in with an employee of that company. Two stops beside each other, I stood at th ...[text shortened]... ect a higher level of serve that locals did so a lot of the time the problem was merely culture.
    Did it occur to you that the driver who stopped to pick you up at the wrong stop might have been breaking a rule about stopping at a wrong stop? A driver who is seen doing this where I live can be written up for an infraction that goes on his record.

If it happened again and the same driver saw you standing at the wrong stop it's a safe bet he might ignore you and continue on his way. You would miss your connection and be late getting somewhere, but both of you could have the satisfaction of knowing that no one was in the wrong.

The old man gave you useful advice and the bus driver gave you useful information. Advice isn't something I always need, but useful information never fails to come in handy. Some people are grateful for getting either one, but as far as I know there is no rule saying you must be grateful when someone is trying to help you.
  13. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    09 Jan '14 21:59
    Originally posted by Sicilian Sausage
    Not being funny Trev but It sounds like you set the tone. In what way did he 'take it out on you'. Sounds like you were quite rude to me. Have you ever worked with Joe public? Do you know what it's like dealing with inconsiderate self absorbed idiots all day who think that the world revolves around THEM?
    If I was at work and someone asked me to 'Hu ...[text shortened]... but I've worked with the public for most of my life and Christ, there are some idiots out there.
    Which one are you talking about, the guy at the counter or the guy driving the bus? Sounds like you think I was still talking about the guy at the counter which I wasn't with that line.

The guy at the counter needed assistance to do the only thing he was getting paid for, I'm sorry but he had no right to talk back imo. Had I ran up to the counter saying HURRY UP HURRY UP then that's different. I asked him to hurry up after anyone else could have sold two tickets.

I have worked with the public, and yes there are some annoying people but if you want to keep your job you have to be polite to them... even if you want to scream at them you can't. Of course that doesn't mean that the public have a right to take advantage of someone.
  14. Standard membersmw6869
    Granny
    Parts Unknown
    Moves
    09 Jan '14 22:05
    Such thin skin. May i use you as a condom?

GRANNY.
  15. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    09 Jan '14 22:19
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    And remember,
    one day you will be old and slow.
    ...instead of young and snotty.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree