Why Do We Laugh?

Why Do We Laugh?

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
10 Mar 13
4 edits

Why Do We Laugh?

Though living alone now in a highrise city apartment, I've recently been laughing aloud more often than I'd care to admit. Early Stages of Alxzheimers or Dementia? Wrong Diet or an Overload of Cyberspace? Whatever the cause, my quiet chuckling and raucous laughter's becoming involuntary and unpredictable (even when I'm waking and excited about the new day or calling it a day and about to doze off for a pleasant nap).

This past week at an upscale grocery market, the invisible clown appeared at the crowded deli counter while I was chatting with a well heeled younger, southern lady who was one step ahead of me in the double line. Yep, soon as our laughing began it became contagious. Half dozen or so total strangers pressed closer in an attempt to join in the impromptu party. Finally, she ordered some "Tavern Ham" sliced medium thickness; while I asked another cheerful older employee, whom I make it a point to ask for by name, for my usual half pound of "London Port, Roast Beef" sliced thin (one setting above shaved) and a quarter of a pound of "Boar's Head Imported, Aged Swiss Cheese".

No, neither one of us ordered 'baloney' or 'rye'. We did, much to my surprise, hold each other in an instinctive forearm clasp while still smiling big ones that would put RHP Smileys to shame. We also playfully agreed pick up where we left off later in March. Any Doctors in the House?

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/3077386/ns/technology_and_science-science/

Moves
10 Mar 13

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
[b]Why Do We Laugh?

Though living alone now in a highrise city apartment, I've recently been laughing aloud more often than I'd care to admit. Early Stages of Alxzheimers or Dementia? Wrong Diet or an Overload of Cyberspace? Whatever the cause, my quiet chuckling and raucous laughter's becoming involuntary and unpredictable (even when I'm waking ...[text shortened]... House?

.[/b]
For medicinal puposes.

Read a book!

Moves
10 Mar 13

No, neither one of us ordered 'baloney' or 'rye'. We did, much to my surprise, hold each other in an instinctive forearm clasp while still smiling big ones that would put RHP Smileys to shame. We also playfully agreed pick up where we left off later in March.
We need to warn her before it's too late.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
10 Mar 13
1 edit

[b]Why Do We Laugh?[/b]
Careful, Bob.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
10 Mar 13

With the admission of this thread, I'm beginning to get fleeting glimpses of the wheels and pulleys at work. Simultaneous with the surges of easy humor, a devastating realization's dawning. Random forces were tearing away long held assumptions. Ever gently struggle to let go?

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
10 Mar 13

With the admission of this thread, I'm beginning to get fleeting glimpses of the wheels and pulleys at work. Simultaneous with the surges of easy humor, a devastating realization's dawning. Random forces were tearing away long held assumptions. Ever gently struggle to let go?
You know what they say happens when you assume.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
10 Mar 13

Originally posted by Suzianne

Careful, Bob.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIojLZr_1bQ
Got away cheap. I'd demand a $5,000 Public Nuisance Fine be paid in cold cash before leaving court. Then, again, maybe this guy has an unrealized agenda, also, and buys thinly sliced "London Port Roast Beef" with a Southern Hottie smiling by his side. Who knows for sure...

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
10 Mar 13

Originally posted by Suzianne
You know what they say happens when you assume.
For sure and Assumers are also Bad News.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
11 Mar 13

For sure and Assumers are also Bad News.
And yet we need to make assumptions from time to time in life.
I call it a calculated guess.
For sure, if there is time to ponder, and maybe even come back to a move if you have a few days, but if you're playing blitz then you need to move it or lose it 😉

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
11 Mar 13
1 edit

Originally posted by karoly aczel
And yet we need to make assumptions from time to time in life.
I call it a calculated guess.
For sure, if there is time to ponder, and maybe even come back to a move if you have a few days, but if you're playing blitz then you need to move it or lose it 😉
We assume because we're in constant interpretation mode, bracketing data into known and unknown. When 'known information' becomes challenged, as it did in an unexpectedly poignant way, reality lenses becomes blurred; moisture forms in the corner of eyes. In the process, imbalance replaces balance; abnormals become new normals. Compensatory Behaviour held that lady's attention at the upscale market. We agree.

k
Flexible

The wrong side of 60

Moves
11 Mar 13

We assume because we're in constant interpretation mode, bracketing data into known and unknown. When 'known information' becomes challenged, as it did in an unexpectedly poignant way, reality lenses becomes blurred; moisture forms in the corner of eyes. In the process, imbalance replaces balance; abnormals become new normals. Compensatory Behaviour held that lady's attention at the upscale market. We agree.
An assumption should be an ad lib extrapolation.

Take two slices of roast beef and come back when your crying for no apparent reason.🙂:'(

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
11 Mar 13
2 edits

Originally posted by kevcvs57
An assumption should be an ad lib extrapolation.

Take two slices of roast beef and come back when your crying for no apparent reason.🙂:'(
Ad Lib Extrapolation/Festina Lente, attitudes from the same playbook: Defective, since the attitudes expressed reflect superficial analysis and situational ethics; neither bites down on granite realities, nor recognizes distinctions without a difference. Often it's necessary to get down from a high horse (on a moonlit night in a deep forest) to walk the rest of the way home. Crass dismissals, gimmickry tantamount to jumping the shark.

k
Flexible

The wrong side of 60

Moves
11 Mar 13

Ad Lib Extrapolation/Festina Lente, attitudes from the same playbook: Defective, since the attitudes expressed reflect superficial analysis and situational ethics; neither bites down on granite realities, nor recognizes distinctions without a difference. Often it's necessary to get down from a high horse (on a moonlit night in a deep forest) to walk the rest of the way home. Crass dismissals, gimmickry tantamount to jumping the shark.
If petulance was wisdom we would all be wise, unfortunately gibberish n sour grapes don't cut it.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
11 Mar 13
1 edit

"Why Do We Laugh?"

By Robert Provine, Ph.D. / Special to msnbc.com

May 27, 1999 — "Laughter is part of the universal human vocabulary. All members of the human species understand it. Unlike English or French or Swahili, we don’t have to learn to speak it. We’re born with the capacity to laugh.

One of the remarkable things about laughter is that it occurs unconsciously. You don’t decide to do it. While we can consciously inhibit it, we don’t consciously produce laughter. That’s why it’s very hard to laugh on command... or to fake laughter. (Don’t take my word for it: Ask a friend to laugh on the spot.)

>Laughter provides powerful, uncensored insights into our unconscious. It simply bubbles up from within us in certain situations.

Very little is known about the specific brain mechanisms responsible for laughter. But we do know that laughter is triggered by many sensations and thoughts, and that it activates many parts of the body.

When we laugh, we alter our facial expressions and make sounds. During exuberant laughter, the muscles of the arms, legs and trunk are involved. Laughter also requires modification in our pattern of breathing.

We also know that laughter is a message that we send to other people. We know this because we rarely laugh when we are alone (we laugh to ourselves even less than we talk to ourselves).

Laughter is social and contagious. We laugh at the sound of laughter itself. That’s why the Tickle Me Elmo doll is such a success — it makes us laugh and smile." [OP Link]

10 Mar '13 13:55
"With the admission of this thread, I'm beginning to get fleeting glimpses of the wheels and pulleys at work. Simultaneous with the surges of easy humor, a devastating realization's dawning. Random forces were tearing away long held assumptions. Ever gently struggle to let go?" [gb]

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
11 Mar 13

[b]Why Do We Laugh?

Though living alone now in a highrise city apartment, I've recently been laughing aloud more often than I'd care to admit. Early Stages of Alxzheimers or Dementia? Wrong Diet or an Overload of Cyberspace? Whatever the cause, my quiet chuckling and raucous laughter's becoming involuntary and unpredictable (even when I'm waking ...[text shortened]... House?

.[/b]
Always seek those you know in person for advice, not a bunch of nerds on a chess site. 😉