1. Joined
    09 Feb '10
    Moves
    03 Dec '15 00:55
    Originally posted by FMF
    robbie has been absolutely consistent in his objection to the military escapades of the UK as long as I have known him. He has been taking "a hard look at his own nation" for years ~ perhaps his entire adult life. So, that aside, do you have any answers to the arguments he has offered?
    I am waiting for him to explain to me, a "warmonger," a plausible solution to the current ISIS problem that excludes war. It is only fair. If you one says that war is not the answer, then an alternative to war should be offered.

I would wholeheartedly embrace any other viable option other than war.
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Dec '15 00:56
    Originally posted by Landisqueen170
    You cannot explain away your country's shoulder-to-shoulder relationship with America. If your country and its citizens believe that we are that bad of a nation, then they should not stand with us - ever.
    Why do you think robbie has to "explain" it? He opposes it and - as far as I can remember - always has. You citing his "country's shoulder-to-shoulder relationship with America" is not an argument that addresses robbie's opposition to the bombing.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Dec '15 01:021 edit
    I am waiting for him to explain to me, a "warmonger," a plausible solution to the current ISIS problem that excludes war.
    I am sure he will respond to this. I haven't called you a "warmonger".

I am talking about something else. I am asking you how you saying "before [robbie] throws spears at my nation, he should take a hard look at his own" can possibly be said to represent a counter argument to what he has said if you are also stating that you don't think "robbie is responsible for the actions of the UK military".
  4. Joined
    09 Feb '10
    Moves
    03 Dec '15 02:331 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    Why do you think robbie has to "explain" it? He opposes it and - as far as I can remember - always has. You citing his "country's shoulder-to-shoulder relationship with America" is not an argument that addresses robbie's opposition to the bombing.
    He did not just say that he opposed bombing, he also laid out a bunch of criticisms regarding my country's actions. I called them simplistic because there is no legitimate way to reduce down the complexities of some of these multifaceted situations in a few mere sentences. Unless one, of course, just blames America for everything. Then it is quite easy 🙂

My remark about being shoulder-to shoulder with his nation was simply to point out that if America is so misguided, so self-absorbed and so hypocritical, then he ought to explain why his country routinely stands with us.

If he wishes to blame and criticize America, he should equally blame and criticize his own country because they have been one of our greatest allies and supports.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Dec '15 02:44
    If he wishes to blame and criticize America, he should equally blame and criticize his own country because they have been one of our greatest allies and supports.
    But robbie does. He does blame and criticize his own country. That's my point. He has done for years. You saying, over and over again, things like "he should equally blame and criticize his own country" is more of a deflection than a rebuttal of what he's said, because ~ as you well know, now ~ he does "blame and criticize his own country".
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Dec '15 02:47
    My remark about being shoulder-to shoulder with his nation was simply to point out that if America is so misguided, so self-absorbed and so hypocritical, then he ought to explain why his country routinely stands with us.
    Why do you think he has to explain it? He opposes it. It's like you demanding that he explains why you agree with US policy.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Dec '15 02:50
    I called them simplistic because there is no legitimate way to reduce down the complexities of some of these multifaceted situations in a few mere sentences.
    If you are against being simplistic and reducing down the complexities of multifaceted situations, why are you yourself saying reductio ad absurdum things like: "So we should all bury our heads in the sand and hope these evil people just leave us alone?"
  8. Joined
    09 Feb '10
    Moves
    03 Dec '15 02:51
    Originally posted by FMF
    But robbie does. He does blame and criticize his own country. That's my point. He has done for years. You saying, over and over again, things like "he should equally blame and criticize his own country" is more of a deflection than a rebuttal of what he's said, because ~ as you well know, now ~ he does "blame and criticize his own country".
    How would I "well know, now?" lol Oh, because you just enlightened me? Thanks 😛
    I have had little if any interaction with him. I was only responding to a post or two that he made here, today.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Dec '15 02:57
    How would I "well know, now?" lol Oh, because you just enlightened me? Thanks 😛
    Well I have told you. Repeatedly. Why press on with the same "point" about robbie having to criticize his own country's military ventures when you have had it pointed out to you already that he does criticize it and has always been entirely consistent in this matter?
  10. Joined
    09 Feb '10
    Moves
    03 Dec '15 02:57
    Originally posted by FMF
    If you are against being simplistic and reducing down the complexities of multifaceted situations, why are you yourself saying reductio ad absurdum things like: "So we should all bury our heads in the sand and hope these evil people just leave us alone?"
    Is this where I am supposed to feel like you really care about any of my thoughts on this topic?
    You are doing what you do all of the time.

And ironically, robbie very much agreed with me on this point. 😉

Where I'm from, when people are discussing, they say things like, "That's an interesting perspective you offer...I never thought of it in that light..." or "Well, I totally disagree and I'd like to tell you why. Perhaps you can then comment?" Things like that...

You just go around in circles, trying to put me (and others) in a constant defensive mode. For what reason...no clue. It is just what you do.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Dec '15 02:59
    Is this where I am supposed to feel like you really care about any of my thoughts on this topic?
    I'm in a discussion with you.
  12. Joined
    09 Feb '10
    Moves
    03 Dec '15 03:00
    Originally posted by FMF
    Well I have told you. Repeatedly. Why press on with the same "point" about robbie having to criticize his own country's military ventures when you have had it pointed out to you already that he does criticize it and has always been entirely consistent in this matter?
    I don't go by what other posters tell me.

And he didn't do it today, in this thread.
  13. Joined
    09 Feb '10
    Moves
    03 Dec '15 03:01
    Originally posted by FMF
    I'm in a discussion with you.
    Oh, you get to decide that, do you?
    lol
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Dec '15 03:02
    Where I'm from, when people are discussing, they say things like, "That's an interesting perspective you offer...I never thought of it in that light..." or "Well, I totally disagree and I'd like to tell you why. Perhaps you can then comment?" Things like that...
    Why do you keep saying robbie has got to criticize his own nation if he is going to oppose military action? Why do you keep saying robbie has to explain why the UK engages in military action? Are these examples of how people discuss things where you are from?
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Dec '15 03:04
    FMF : I'm in a discussion with you.

Oh, you get to decide that, do you?
    lol
    You've addressed 7-8 posts to me on this topic. That is surely "a discussion", no?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree