1. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    09 Apr '14 05:471 edit
    Noah's Ark: Science Proves Genesis Of The Bible True? [Posted: April 4, 2014]

"Noah’s Ark is a major Bible story in the book of Genesis that has now been turned into a major movie which even critics agree is good. But a fairly recent study from Leicester University’s Department of Physics and Astronomy in England has declared it’s not only a good story… they even say science proves the Bible true.

In a related report by The Inquisitr, when it was announced that the Noah’s Ark encounter museum would cost $120 million, Bill Nye declared that they were wasting Kentucky’s money:

“If he builds that ark, it’s my strong opinion, it’s bad for the commonwealth of Kentucky and bad for scientists based in Kentucky and bad for the U.S. And I’m not joking, bad for the world. I challenge them to try to float this ship, to try and make this a seaworthy ship.”

As it turns out, the science guy was completely wrong when it comes to Noah’s Ark. Various engineering studies have compared the dimensions listed in Genesis to actual naval designs and found them to be optimal. Some scientists have even declared that Noah’s Ark could have survived in storms where the waves were around 100 feet high.

Still, some question whether Noah’s Ark could handle the weight of the 70,000 pairs of animal species that were supposedly packed away by Noah. The Bible story lists an unknown wood type called “gopher wood” so the study instead considered how cypress wood would hold up under the strain of so many beasts. After crunching the numbers they were surprised to find out that even 2.15 million livestock could have safely survived the journey on Noah’s Ark:

“You don’t think of the Bible necessarily as a scientifically accurate source of information, so I guess we were quite surprised when we discovered it would work. We’re not proving that it’s true, but the concept would definitely work.”

Some other studies believe Noah would have only had to gather around 16,000 types of animals assuming only “flying creatures and air-breathing land animals” were included, although others claim the number is closer to 40,000 based up the number of known species in the world that fit the bill (scientists believe the total number of species, including land, air, and sea creatures, is somewhere between two to 100 million). Regardless, the physics shows that Noah’s Ark could have handled it. The Noah’s Ark study has been published on the university’s peer-reviewed Journal of Physics.

What do you think about science proving the Bible true?"

http://www.inquisitr.com/1200928/noahs-ark-science-proves-genesis-of-the-bible-true/

Comment: "The Noah’s Ark study has been published on the university’s peer-reviewed Journal of Physics." is one click accessible from the site. "2.15 million livestock could have safely survived the journey on Noah’s Ark:" Big boat, huh?
  2. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    09 Apr '14 05:541 edit
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [b]Noah's Ark: Science Proves Genesis Of The Bible True? [Posted: April 4, 2014]

"Noah’s Ark is a major Bible story in the book of Genesis that has now been turned into a major movie which even critics agree is good. But a fairly recent study from Leicester University’s Department of Physics and Astronomy in England has declared it’s not only a g ...[text shortened]... e. "2.15 million livestock could have safely survived the journey on Noah’s Ark:" Big boat, huh?[/b]
    Heh, now find me an answer to all these points.

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/faq-noahs-ark.html

If that's too long, I pose my own challenge.

Get a pair of penguins from Antarctica to Iraq without them drowning, starving, getting lost, getting eaten by a predator, or dying of heat stroke.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Apr '14 06:111 edit
    Originally quoted by Grampy Bobby
    What do you think about science proving the Bible true?
    Some academics doing a study on buoyancy and stability aside, surely the crux of the Bible story is that God wiped out virtually the entire human race ~ men, women and children ~ as a punishment using supernatural powers to create a worldwide flood [for which there is no scientific evidence] and that God spared only Noah ~ said to be several hundred years old at the time ~ and his family [and some animals] by giving him instructions? I don't see that science has proved the actual Bible story and its purported spiritual meaning true at all.
  4. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    09 Apr '14 07:00
    A big boat made of wood floats.

Who'd have thunk it?
  5. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    09 Apr '14 08:20
    What do you think about science proving the Bible true?"
    I think it's great that theists often proclaim that science is false, guesswork, wishful thinking, trying to minimize god and/or corrupted, except when science can be used to strenghten their preconceived notions. Then they like to use "science" to their advantage.
  6. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    09 Apr '14 19:491 edit
    The Corruption of Mankind

Genesis 6:1-22 "Now it came about, when men began to multiply on the face of the land, and daughters were born to them, 2 that the sons of God saw that the daughters of men were [a]beautiful; and they took wives for themselves, whomever they chose. 3 Then the Lord said, “My Spirit shall not [b]strive with man forever, [c]because he also is flesh; [d]nevertheless his days shall be one hundred and twenty years.”

4 The Nephilim were on the earth in those days, and also afterward, when the sons of God came in to the daughters of men, and they bore children to them. Those were the mighty men who were of old, men of renown. 5 Then the Lord saw that the wickedness of man was great on the earth, and that every intent of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually. 6 The Lord was sorry that He had made man on the earth, and He was grieved [e]in His heart. 7 The Lord said, “I will blot out man whom I have created from the face of the land, from man to animals to creeping things and to birds of the [f]sky; for I am sorry that I have made them.” 8 But Noah found favor in the eyes of the Lord. 9 These are the records of the generations of Noah. Noah was a righteous man, [g]blameless in his [h]time; Noah walked with God. 10 Noah [i]became the father of three sons: Shem, Ham, and Japheth. 11 Now the earth was corrupt in the sight of God, and the earth was filled with violence. 12 God looked on the earth, and behold, it was corrupt; for all flesh had corrupted their way upon the earth.

13 Then God said to Noah, “The end of all flesh has come before Me; for the earth is filled with violence because of them; and behold, I am about to destroy them with the earth. 14 Make for yourself an ark of gopher wood; you shall make the ark with rooms, and shall [j]cover it inside and out with pitch. 15 This is how you shall make it: the length of the ark three hundred [k]cubits, its breadth fifty [l]cubits, and its height thirty [m]cubits. 16 You shall make a [n]window for the ark, and finish it to a cubit from [o]the top; and set the door of the ark in the side of it; you shall make it with lower, second, and third decks. 17 Behold, I, even I am bringing the flood of water upon the earth, to destroy all flesh in which is the breath of life, from under heaven; everything that is on the earth shall perish.

18 But I will establish My covenant with you; and you shall enter the ark—you and your sons and your wife, and your sons’ wives with you. 19 And of every living thing of all flesh, you shall bring two of every kind into the ark, to keep them alive with you; they shall be male and female. 20 Of the birds after their kind, and of the animals after their kind, of every creeping thing of the ground after its kind, two of every kind will come to you to keep them alive. 21 As for you, take for yourself some of all food which is edible, and gather it to yourself; and it shall be for food for you and for them.” 22 Thus Noah did; according to all that God had commanded him, so he did."

Footnotes: a.Genesis 6:2 Lit good b.Genesis 6:3 Or rule in; some ancient versions read abide in c.Genesis 6:3 Or in his going astray he is flesh d.Genesis 6:3 Or therefore e.Genesis 6:6 Lit to f.Genesis 6:7 Lit heavens g.Genesis 6:9 Lit complete, perfect; or having integrity h.Genesis 6:9 Lit generations i.Genesis 6:10 Lit begot j.Genesis 6:14 Or pitch k.Genesis 6:15 I.e. One cubit equals approx 18 in. l.Genesis 6:15 I.e. One cubit equals approx 18 in. m.Genesis 6:15 I.e. One cubit equals approx 18 in. n.Genesis 6:16 Or roof o.Genesis 6:16 Lit above
    http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Genesis+6&version=NASB
  7. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    09 Apr '14 21:48
    News just in .....................

Scientists have just confirmed that a wooden cross can
    take the weight of a man.

"Even when we factored in a crown of thorns the cross could still
    take the weight" said one of the scientists on the team. "This is a
    huge set back for the Atheist Movement"
  8. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    09 Apr '14 21:531 edit
    The sheer numbers of animals goes up when you remember that it was two each only of the 'unclean' animals. It was seven each of the 'clean' animals.
  9. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    09 Apr '14 22:58
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    The sheer numbers of animals goes up when you remember that it was two each only of the 'unclean' animals. It was seven each of the 'clean' animals.
    Genesis 6:19 "And of every living thing of all flesh, you shall bring two of every kind into the ark, to keep them alive with you; they shall be male and female."

Reference source for the correction?
  10. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    09 Apr '14 23:01
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    News just in .....................

Scientists have just confirmed that a wooden cross can
    take the weight of a man.

"Even when we factored in a crown of thorns the cross could still
    take the weight" said one of the scientists on the team. "This is a
    huge set back for the Atheist Movement"
    Let's include the weight of the sins of all mankind [past, present and future] which were imputed to Christ and judged.
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    09 Apr '14 23:17
    Genesis 6:19 "And of every living thing of all flesh, you shall bring two of every kind into the ark, to keep them alive with you; they shall be male and female."

Reference source for the correction?
    "And the LORD said unto Noah, Come thou and all thy house into the ark; for thee have I seen righteous before me in this generation.
    Of every clean beast thou shalt take to thee by sevens, the male and his female: and of beasts that are not clean by two, the male and his female.
    Of fowls also of the air by sevens, the male and the female; to keep seed alive upon the face of all the earth.
    For yet seven days, and I will cause it to rain upon the earth forty days and forty nights; and every living substance that I have made will I destroy from off the face of the earth.
    And Noah did according unto all that the LORD commanded him.
    And Noah was six hundred years old when the flood of waters was upon the earth." -- Genesis 7:1-6, KJV

Particularly, Genesis 7:2.

"Of every clean beast thou shalt take to thee by sevens, the male and his female: and of beasts that are not clean by two, the male and his female."

Exactly what I said.
  12. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    10 Apr '14 00:09
    "And the LORD said unto Noah, Come thou and all thy house into the ark; for thee have I seen righteous before me in this generation.
    Of every clean beast thou shalt take to thee by sevens, the male and his female: and of beasts that are not clean by two, the male and his female.
    Of fowls also of the air by sevens, the male and the female; to keep seed ali ...[text shortened]... male: and of beasts that are not clean by two, the male and his female."

Exactly what I said.
    Appreciate your timely reply with this reference.

Would you assume the "sevens" were taken into account by the scientists who concluded: "After crunching the numbers they were surprised to find out that even 2.15 million livestock could have safely survived the journey on Noah’s Ark..."?
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    10 Apr '14 00:24
    Appreciate your timely reply with this reference.

Would you assume the "sevens" were taken into account by the scientists who concluded: "After crunching the numbers they were surprised to find out that even 2.15 million livestock could have safely survived the journey on Noah’s Ark..."?
    Well, judging from my inexact polling numbers, a shocking number of those who believe in the veracity of the Bible do not understand that it was a lot more than simply "two of every animal" on board the ark. I doubt the scientists took it into account, no.

I would guess, however, that that number would safely leave plenty of room for those animals onboard to have had offspring while they were on the ark. After all, they were on the ark nearly a year waiting for the waters to abate and the land to dry.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 Apr '14 00:29
    Well, judging from my inexact polling numbers, a shocking number of those who believe in the veracity of the Bible do not understand that it was a lot more than simply "two of every animal" on board the ark. I doubt the scientists took it into account, no.

I would guess, however, that that number would safely leave plenty of room for those animals onboa ...[text shortened]... ter all, they were on the ark nearly a year waiting for the waters to abate and the land to dry.
    You think that the Noah's Ark story is real as opposed to being a metaphor based on an exaggerated piece of folklore?
  15. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    10 Apr '14 00:45
    Originally posted by FMF
    You think that the Noah's Ark story is real as opposed to being a metaphor based on an exaggerated piece of folklore?
    I do not know.

I find I'm actually equally comfortable with it either way, real or not.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree