"2.15 million livestock could have safely..."

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GENS UNA SUMUS

Moves
10 Apr 14

Originally posted by FMF
The researchers said "We’re not proving that it’s true, but the concept would definitely work.” In other words, the research does not prove that the Bible story is true, it only proves that a really big wooden boat could have the buoyancy needed to carry a large cargo.
Thank you. I have only read the original post and in that we find the claim as follows:
a fairly recent study from Leicester University’s Department of Physics and Astronomy in England has declared it’s not only a good story… they even say science proves the Bible true.

This claim is promptly refuted within the same article by the statement of the scientists in question, saying "we're not proving that it's true."

Since the original post self destructs, there is no basis for the ensuing discussion. The willingness to carry on such erudite exchanges on the basis of a nonsense is quite surprising and not useful. I suggest that this thread is fatally weakened and should be abandoned to silence.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
10 Apr 14

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
Anyhow lets get to the point, the common misconception among our somewhat self assuming although well meaning friends is that the ark carried every kind of species, but this is not necessarily the case, the different kinds could have easily been accommodated according to their respective classes. Please consider this:

The “kinds” of animals selec ...[text shortened]... e animals.

Insight on the scriptures, volume 1, pages 164-165 courtesy of Jehovahs Witnesses.
Thanks, robbie. I read the pages from Insights on the Scriptures with interest, especially the estimates/descriptions of the species. Please give me your take on the following exposition by Charles Spurgeon [continuing the passage quoted to Suzi]:

Gen 7:7-8. "And Noah went in, and his sons, and his wife, and his sons’ wives with him, into the ark, because of the waters of the flood. Of clean beasts, and of beasts that are not clean, and of fowls, and of every thing that creepeth upon the earth,

This largest and most complete menagerie that was ever gathered together was not collected by human skill; divine power alone could have accomplished such a task as that.

Gen 7:9. There went in two and two unto Noah into the ark, the male and female, as God had commanded Noah.

They “went in.” Noah had not to hunt or search for them, but they came according to God’s plan and purpose, even as, concerning the salvation which is by Christ Jesus, his people shall be willing to come to him in the day of his power; with joyfulness shall they come into the ark of their salvation."

http://www.preceptaustin.org/spurgeon's_exposition_genesis.htm

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
10 Apr 14

Originally posted by finnegan
Thank you. I have only read the original post and in that we find the claim as follows:
a fairly recent study from Leicester University’s Department of Physics and Astronomy in England has declared it’s not only a good story… they even say science proves the Bible true.

This claim is promptly refuted within the same article by the stateme ...[text shortened]... d not useful. I suggest that this thread is fatally weakened and should be abandoned to silence.
Thanks for your insights and recommendation, finnegan.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
10 Apr 14

Originally posted by finnegan

This claim is promptly refuted within the same article by the stateme ...[text shortened]... d not useful. I suggest that this thread is fatally weakened and should be abandoned to silence.
Thank you. I have only read the original post and in that we find the claim as follows...
If you read the OP, how did you miss the caveats within which already address your objections?

The OP contains both statements--- rather, question coupled with statement--- and ought to be taken as a whole, not simply one part or another.
If you think there is nonsense in the findings, expose them.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
10 Apr 14

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
Whether you realize it or not, apprehending absolute spiritual reality is the singularly most important priority in our lives.
So you are proposing that it is possible for an individual not to
know what the "singularly most important priority in their lives" is.

While I believe that is nonsense - if true; how do you
know that you are not one of those individuals?

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
10 Apr 14

Originally posted by wolfgang59
So you are proposing that it is possible for an individual not to
know what the "singularly most important priority in their lives" is.

While I believe that is nonsense - if true; how do you
know that you are not one of those individuals?
Available distractions and diversions tempt many of us to major on minor things; and in doing so to ignore priority one.

... "not one of those individuals?"

To whom does "those" refer?

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
10 Apr 14

Available distractions and diversions tempt many of us to major on minor things; and in doing so to ignore priority one.

... "not one of those individuals?"

To whom does "those" refer?
the individual described in the first para you idiot.

Child of the Novelty

San Antonio, Texas

Moves
11 Apr 14

caissad4, here's the top menu site information I found when Googling "Ut-napishtim"/ In synch with your understanding?[/b]
Absolutely not, Bob. The flood fable of Ut-Napishtim is a polytheistic story. "Four gods were involved in the planning of the flood, all of whom have Sumerian names. Anu is described as "the father", Enlil is "the counselor", Ninurta, the son of Enlil, as "the throne carrier", and Ennugias, as "the canal inspector". A fifth god, usually known as Ea, revealed the secret plan to a man named Ut-Napishtim and told him to build a boat in order to be saved." Excerpted from Mythology, An Illustrated Encyclopedia edited by Richard Cavendish

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
11 Apr 14

Originally posted by caissad4
Absolutely not, Bob. The flood fable of Ut-Napishtim is a polytheistic story. "Four gods were involved in the planning of the flood, all of whom have Sumerian names. Anu is described as "the father", Enlil is "the counselor", Ninurta, the son of Enlil, as "the throne carrier", and Ennugias, as "the canal inspector". A fifth god, usually known as Ea, reveale ...[text shortened]... o be saved." Excerpted from Mythology, An Illustrated Encyclopedia edited by Richard Cavendish
Just tried searching for "Mythology, An Illustrated Encyclopedia edited by Richard Cavendish"/; only found books for sale.
Link?

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
11 Apr 14

Originally posted by Great King Rat
But I read an awful lot of you guys as you defend your fantasy stories. Am I to understand that all of you suck so badly at explaining the bible then, because none of you theists are at all convincing when you speak about the bible??

In fact the opposite, you people have the remarkable gift of making the bible less and less relevant and more and more ridiculous.
And more and more, an article of faith. Call that ridiculous if you want, it only means you lack faith.

Bible stories like these are more about faith. While the story of Noah does have some relevance for our times, especially concerning the "nature of the world", it has been relegated to children's story status for most. A story about faith.

Child of the Novelty

San Antonio, Texas

Moves
11 Apr 14

Just tried searching for "Mythology, An Illustrated Encyclopedia edited by Richard Cavendish"/; only found books for sale.
Link?
No link, I own a copy

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
11 Apr 14

Originally posted by caissad4
No link, I own a copy
Am I correct in assuming the book maintains "The flood fable of Ut-Napishtim" preceded the Genesis account?

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
12 Apr 14
1 edit

Originally posted by SwissGambit
Heh, now find me an answer to all these points.

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/faq-noahs-ark.html

If that's too long, I pose my own challenge.

Get a pair of penguins from Antarctica to Iraq without them drowning, starving, getting lost, getting eaten by a predator, or dying of heat stroke.

Get a pair of penguins from Antarctica to Iraq without them drowning, starving, getting lost, getting eaten by a predator, or dying of heat stroke.

Gen 7:7-8. "And Noah went in, and his sons, and his wife, and his sons’ wives with him, into the ark, because of the waters of the flood. Of clean beasts, and of beasts that are not clean, and of fowls, and of every thing that creepeth upon the earth,

This largest and most complete menagerie that was ever gathered together was not collected by human skill; divine power alone could have accomplished such a task as that.

Gen 7:9. There went in two and two unto Noah into the ark, the male and female, as God had commanded Noah.

They “went in.” Noah had not to hunt or search for them, but they came according to God’s plan and purpose, even as, concerning the salvation which is by Christ Jesus, his people shall be willing to come to him in the day of his power; with joyfulness shall they come into the ark of their salvation." (Page 5) http://www.preceptaustin.org/spurgeon's_exposition_genesis.htm

SG, getting "... a pair of penguins from Antarctica to Iraq without them drowning,"
was anticipated by the Omniscience of God.

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
12 Apr 14

[quote]Gen ...[text shortened]... ins from Antarctica to Iraq without them drowning,"
was anticipated by the Omniscience of God.
If you're going to admit divine power into the equation, then why bother with all this evidence gathering and scientific study to prove the Ark story is possible? Just chalk it all up to God-magic. It would save us all so much time.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
12 Apr 14
1 edit

If you're going to admit divine power into the equation, then why bother with all this evidence gathering and scientific study to prove the Ark story is possible? Just chalk it all up to God-magic. It would save us all so much time.
SG, you've been served a Noah's Ark Sandwich: Scientific Findings and the Biblical Account in Genesis for bread
with all manner of facts, almost facts and opinion in between. Here's a cup of coffee to wash it down @\_/

Note: lol