Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    21 Mar '17 03:10
  2. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    21 Mar '17 03:243 edits
    Not just for you Ghost, but since you are a mental health professional ...

I've been diagnosed with (paranoid (?) ) schizophrenia for ages because the many "professionals", (often graduates straight out of uni), have been only able to put me into that broad any largely unknown group.
    I recently saw a story, which consisted of an ad (not shown on tv here) and a personal testimony (just a minute or 2 long) about Anxiety. I sat through it thinking , "yep.yep and yep" . I could relate to nearly every point made. And I must say it is hard to put those symptoms into words. Anxiety disorder borders on other conditions like OCD and sleeplessness , but it is no doubt a condition unto itself.
    Do you guys know it was only formally diagnosed in 1980. Wow!!
    Since Freud , Jung and others had studied this and seemingly made headway into the mental problems of people I wonder why this was so hard to diagnose with any success .

Anyway , i was just wondering what help you guys could offer.
    Bear in mind that I do meditation, concious breathing and other yoga like exercises to help with this condition , but it is really hard work .
    Diazepam helps, but unfortunately it only helps for a maximum of 24hours every month. So for the rest of the month I am doomed to suffer.
    Most people think i talk fast and loud (and they are right for most of the time).
    The others think I'm on amphetamines, which is untrue, but when I say that , it only confirms it more in their minds . Sad really, because it doesn't help anyone. And it certainly doesn't advance the understanding of this insidious disease
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    21 Mar '17 03:46
    Originally posted by karoly aczel

I've been diagnosed with (paranoid (?) ) schizophrenia for ages because the many "professionals", (often graduates straight out of uni), have been only able to put me into that broad any largely unknown group.
    I recently saw a story, which consisted of an ad (not shown on t ...[text shortened]... oesn't help anyone. And it certainly doesn't advance the understanding of this insidious disease
    Anxiety disorder (GAD) can be quite debilitating I understand and you have my sympathy and a little empathy, as I've suffered with anxiety a little myself of a couple of occasions. Mine was linked to some unpleasantness at work but was fortunately resolved after a short while and a few conversations.

However, a friend from several years ago suffered with what was described to him as bi-polar disorder and I saw him deteriorate significantly in parallel with his increased recreational use of strong marijuana. I'm convinced the drug negatively impacted his mental health which is why I'm not a proponent of its recreational use.

If what you suffer from is anxiety I respectfully suggest gentle cognitive therapy, staying away from cannabis, getting plenty of outside space and maybe a pet such as a dog.

Best.
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    21 Mar '17 06:23
    I recently saw a story, which consisted of an ad (not shown on tv here) and a personal testimony (just a minute or 2 long) about Anxiety. I sa ...[text shortened]... rs on other conditions like OCD and sleeplessness , but it is no doubt a condition unto itself.
    The thing to keep in mind about disorders as opposed to diseases, is that they are not so much a specific thing caused by a specific problem, but rather a means of categorizing people with often unknown underlying problems. Different people with the same disorder may have different underlying problems and need different treatment.
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    21 Mar '17 06:25
    Originally posted by divegeester
    If what you suffer from is anxiety I respectfully suggest gentle cognitive therapy, staying away from cannabis, getting plenty of outside space and maybe a pet such as a dog.
    I concur. Anyone with any sort of mental issues would do well to stay away from drugs (including alcohol).
  6. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    21 Mar '17 10:38

I recently saw a story, which consisted of an ad (not shown on t ...[text shortened]... oesn't help anyone. And it certainly doesn't advance the understanding of this insidious disease
    Well to beat the drum I normally do, within my life I've gone through times of great stress.
    What got me through was Jesus Christ, He gave me a peace that passes understanding
    in the midst of great strife, when it felt like the world was going to swallow me whole. He
    is only a prayer away.
  7. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    21 Mar '17 12:49
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Well to beat the drum I normally do, within my life I've gone through times of great stress.
    What got me through was Jesus Christ, He gave me a peace that passes understanding
    in the midst of great strife, when it felt like the world was going to swallow me whole. He
    is only a prayer away.
    I have considerable experience with the mental disorder called schizophrenia. My oldest son was diagnosed with a early onset bipolar schizoaffective disorder, and was later labeled with schizophrenia after he turned 18.

It's probably caused by some biological imbalance. 1% of the human race across all social and economic conditions are said to suffer from this malady. There's no known cure, but my son takes a drug call clozapine, which does wonders in reducing the symptoms. It is usually prescribed after other drugs are tried.

My son is a believer, and that helps greatly. karoly would do well to consider Jesus to help mitigate the effects of a mental disorder, especially if it is organic in nature.

When Jesus returns I have no doubt all diseases will be eradicated.

twhitehead is absolutely correct saying that those with a mental disorder should stay away from drugs and alcohol.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    21 Mar '17 12:54
    Originally posted by josephw
    When Jesus returns I have no doubt all diseases will be eradicated.
    So you believe Jesus has control over who is afflicted and who is not afflicted with schizophrenia, when they suffer from it, and when it will be eradicated? Is that your belief?
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    21 Mar '17 13:10
    is only a prayer away.
    There's no doubt about it. Religions can and do serve this kind of purpose for many, many people.
  10. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    21 Mar '17 15:55

I think Twhitehead and Dive have given you good advice here.

Sorry if you feel like a label has been stuck on you. Truth is of course we are all profoundly different and mental health can not be so easily tied up with string and allocated accordingly. Indeed you could meet two people diagnosed with schizophrenia who have completely different symptoms. I can see how this can be confusing. (Especially as 'anxiety' often goes hand in hand with such a diagnosis. The two are not mutually exclusive).

I wouldn't attempt of course to try and diagnose anybody over the internet and would advise speaking to people directly involved in your care (or your GP). - Feel free though to send me a PM. I appreciate you created this thread, but some things are not best discussed in a public forum. (That said, i salute your openness).
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Mar '17 16:12
    The kids call Diazepam 'jellies'.
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    21 Mar '17 16:26
    is only a prayer away.
    I must agree with you that this has been my experience also.
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    21 Mar '17 16:36
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    The kids call Diazepam 'jellies'.
    This is very helpful robbie, thank you for being here.
  14. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    21 Mar '17 16:56
    Originally posted by FMF
    So you believe Jesus has control over who is afflicted and who is not afflicted with schizophrenia, when they suffer from it, and when it will be eradicated? Is that your belief?
    🙄
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    21 Mar '17 21:50
    Originally posted by josephw
    🙄
    So you don’t believe Jesus has those powers?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree