1. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    14 Jan '18 19:48
    'Allah does not burden a soul beyond that it can bear.'

(Surah Baqarah – V 286)

A client once referenced the above quote from the Koran (had to google though to find it) during the ongoing struggle he experienced managing his mental health (specifically OCD). As a Muslim his position was that God would not have given him any greater woes than he could handle. This clearly had given him strength to press on and play out the hand he had been given.

The bible echoes such a teaching in Corinthians, 'God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it.' (I may have overlooked a better one. Indeed, i'm sure I have).

I'm left wondering though about the heavy burdens some poor souls carry that seem beyond the capability of any human being. Surely God has given too much to these people to carry?
  2. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    14 Jan '18 20:15
    If so, then just blame satan.
  3. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    14 Jan '18 20:24
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke

(Surah Baqarah – V 286)

A client once referenced the above quote from the Koran (had to google though to find it) during the ongoing struggle he experienced managing his mental health (specifically OCD). As a Muslim his position was that God would not have given him any greater woes tha ...[text shortened]... eyond the capability of any human being. Surely God has given too much to these people to carry?
    In complete seriousness, how could you possibly know what another is capable of--- or incapable, for that matter.
    Do you understand what that sounds like?
  4. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    14 Jan '18 20:43
    Originally posted by @freakykbh
    In complete seriousness, how could you possibly know what another is capable of--- or incapable, for that matter.
    Do you understand what that sounds like?
    I can't, and humans do indeed have varying degrees of capability.

I was specifically referencing burdens that are incomprehensibly heavy and soul destroying and from which there is no coming back. (For anybody).

Can you really not conceive of such examples for yourself?!
  5. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    14 Jan '18 22:11

(Surah Baqarah – V 286)

A client once referenced the above quote from the Koran (had to google though to find it) during the ongoing struggle he experienced managing his mental health (specifically OCD). As a Muslim his position was that God would not have given him any greater woes tha ...[text shortened]... eyond the capability of any human being. Surely God has given too much to these people to carry?
    They give themselves too much to carry. God is us. I am god.
    Period.
    🙂
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    14 Jan '18 23:21

(Surah Baqarah – V 286)

What burdens are you referring to?
  7. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    15 Jan '18 03:58
    I can't, and humans do indeed have varying degrees of capability.

I was specifically referencing burdens that are incomprehensibly heavy and soul destroying and from which there is no coming back. (For anybody).

Can you really not conceive of such examples for yourself?!
    Sorry: I really can't.
    Do you want to think of a few for me?
    Why on God's green earth would I want to think of something unbearable?
    Are you not feeling well?
  8. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    15 Jan '18 06:37
    Why on God's green earth ....
    ooh, green earth

We kinda need to eat and live and die. Need some earth for that.
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    15 Jan '18 08:16

(Surah Baqarah – V 286)

You know that some people do break psychologically. I would submit that this is a small percentage.

Twice in my life I was close to this point as well.

I've talked about the first time in this forum when I was ready to put a gun in my mouth and finish it. I also spoke about being confronted by angels and being asked to wait one more day. I agreed to wait one more day and hid the gun.

The second time was when my bipolar fiancé killed himself in my senior year of college, and I was held and questioned intensely for over 48 hours. This took a little over a year of intense psychotherapy, including a period of inpatient treatment, to get over.

The point is that I made it, and my life now is better than ever. I fully agree that, most of the time, He doesn't give us more than we can handle. But sometimes, people do still break under the strain. I cannot explain this.
  10. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    15 Jan '18 08:28
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    You know that some people do break psychologically. I would submit that this is a small percentage.

Twice in my life I was close to this point as well.

I've talked about the first time in this forum when I was ready to put a gun in my mouth and finish it. I also spoke about being confronted by angels and being asked to wait one more day. I agreed ...[text shortened]... n we can handle. But sometimes, people do still break under the strain. I cannot explain this.
    Yours is an amazing testimony. I have heard many like it. I think our burdens only become bearable if we allow Him to carry them.
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    15 Jan '18 08:32
    Poignant passages to think about:

"There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it." -- 1 Corinthians 10:13, KJV

"And God is able to make all grace abound toward you; that ye, always having all sufficiency in all things, may abound to every good work:" -- 2 Corinthians 9:8, KJV

"But by the grace of God I am what I am: and his grace which was bestowed upon me was not in vain; but I laboured more abundantly than they all: yet not I, but the grace of God which was with me." -- 1 Corinthians 15:10, KJV
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    15 Jan '18 08:341 edit
    Originally posted by @dj2becker
    Yours is an amazing testimony. I have heard many like it. I think our burdens only become bearable if we allow Him to carry them.
    Yes, there is always the quality of submission going on. Perhaps sometimes we are given a bit too much so that we may be moved to submit to Him.

We see this in the Lord's Prayer: THY will be done.
  13. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    15 Jan '18 08:37
    Poignant passages to think about:

"There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it." -- 1 Corinthians 10:13, KJV

"And God is able to make all grace abound toward you ...[text shortened]... y than they all: yet not I, but the grace of God which was with me." -- 1 Corinthians 15:10, KJV
    And Matthew 11:28,29

Come to Me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me; for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    15 Jan '18 09:10
    I've talked about the first time in this forum when I was ready to put a gun in my mouth and finish it. I also spoke about being confronted by angels and being asked to wait one more day. I agreed to wait one more day and hid the gun.
    I don’t remember you writing about these events, but I could have easily missed it I suppose. Would you care to recite or provide a link so I can read it please?
  15. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    15 Jan '18 11:39
    Sorry: I really can't.
    Do you want to think of a few for me?
    Why on God's green earth would I want to think of something unbearable?
    Are you not feeling well?
    I understand entirely that you wouldn't want to think of something unbearable as an example, as I was also reluctant to do so in my OP.

To be honest I hoped it wouldn't be necessary and that purely on a human level we would be able to agree that some people in this life (especially when we think about younger people or children) carry burdens of unimaginable weight and suffering.

I'm surprised we don't immediately agree on that.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree