1. Joined
    05 Feb '07
    Moves
    10 Mar '07 15:00
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Hot_Pawn

Despite GameKnot having a reported 1/2 a million members, none of them are interested in their page on the Wikipedia. I may not know RHP, the history, the moderators etc but those of you who do can update the Wikipedia page.

To meet Wikipedia's quality standards don't copy and paste from RHP but expand the article.
  2. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    10 Mar '07 15:25
    Originally posted by jsmith
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Hot_Pawn

Despite GameKnot having a reported 1/2 a million members, none of them are interested in their page on the Wikipedia. I may not know RHP, the history, the moderators etc but those of you who do can update the Wikipedia page.

To meet Wikipedia's quality standards don't copy and paste from RHP but expand the article.
    Arg! This is false... rhp is not played as rival chess. Chris made the Rival Chess Engine, but it's not what we play on. That line is gaffed.

Chess on Red Hot Pawn is not played on a downloadable applet. Instead, a Javascript chessboard is used as the interface. This engine is called "Rival Chess" and was designed by Chris Moreton in 2001.

P-
  3. Joined
    05 Feb '07
    Moves
    10 Mar '07 15:281 edit
    Perhaps you can update the page as quite often Wikipedia editors do not know the subject in depth. You can put a history section, tournaments section etc The GameKnot page was at one time in danger of being deleted, we would not want that to happen for RHP.
  4. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    10 Mar '07 16:03
    Perhaps you can update the page as quite often Wikipedia editors do not know the subject in depth. You can put a history section, tournaments section etc The GameKnot page was at one time in danger of being deleted, we would not want that to happen for RHP.
    You can edit the Wikipedia entry if you see room for improvement.
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    10 Mar '07 21:22
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    Arg! This is false... rhp is not played as rival chess. Chris made the Rival Chess Engine, but it's not what we play on. That line is gaffed.

[b]Chess on Red Hot Pawn is not played on a downloadable applet. Instead, a Javascript chessboard is used as the interface. This engine is called "Rival Chess" and was designed by Chris Moreton in 2001.

P-[/b]
    Hmmmm, obviously posted by someone who has not visited the site, or at least actually played here.

Are they confusing RHP with uchess, maybe?
  6. Joined
    05 Feb '07
    Moves
    10 Mar '07 21:35
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Hmmmm, obviously posted by someone who has not visited the site, or at least actually played here.

Are they confusing RHP with uchess, maybe?
    If you look at a google search for RHP the second result states Red Hot Pawn has been created by the authors of Rival Chess which can be downloaded here. Rival Chess is a standalone program and is not required to use the ...

Being non-chess players the editor probably did not know the significance of that statement.
  7. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    10 Mar '07 22:29
    If you look at a google search for RHP the second result states [b]Red Hot Pawn has been created by the authors of Rival Chess which can be downloaded here. Rival Chess is a standalone program and is not required to use the ...

Being non-chess players the editor probably did not know the significance of that statement.[/b]
    How do you know the editor is a non-chess player? Why haven't you attempted to correct it?

Good eye to notice the problem with the Wikipedia article. It is easy enough to fix (unless you are the banned IP that appears to have been the original author of the article).
  8. Joined
    05 Feb '07
    Moves
    11 Mar '07 00:09
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    How do you know the editor is a non-chess player? Why haven't you attempted to correct it?

Good eye to notice the problem with the Wikipedia article. It is easy enough to fix (unless you are the banned IP that appears to have been the original author of the article).
    When your not being silly you may realise I know too little of this site to edit the article, but the guy who wrote the erroneous entry does not play here. Why don't you edit it yourself or are are you looking for people to misquote?

Don't edit it as your chess knowledge is zero and you would be doing RHP a disservice. You have also wrongly quoted me in the Site Ideas to further indicate your confusion.
  9. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    11 Mar '07 00:51

Being non-chess players the editor probably did not know the significance of that statement.
    JStripes, the latest editor states that he loves to play chess. 😏
  10. Standard memberJamin
    Irresponsible Quoter
    0 games mating
    Moves
    11 Mar '07 01:02
    Don't sweat a wikipedia entry too much.
    😴 it's wikipedia, after all. 😀
  11. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    11 Mar '07 01:063 edits
    When your (sic) not being silly you may realise I know too little of this site to edit the article, ...
    You have a point there! Forgive me for suggesting that you edit it.

edit: it looks as if someone else got to it anyway.

When your not being silly you may realise I know too little of this site to edit the article, but the guy who wrote the erroneous entry does not play here. Why don't you edit it yourself or are are you looking for people to misquote?

Don't edit it as your chess knowledge is zero and you would be doing RHP a disservice. You have also wrongly quoted me in the Site Ideas to further indicate your confusion.

And all this was in response to telling you that you have a keen eye. You've exceeded a dozen posts so far, and I complimented the only one that makes any sense (and for this, I'm insulted). Go back to playing handball against the curb.
  12. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    11 Mar '07 01:08
    Originally posted by Jamin
    Don't sweat a wikipedia entry too much.
    😴 it's wikipedia, after all. 😀
    Or is it bickerpedia? 😉
  13. Joined
    05 Feb '07
    Moves
    11 Mar '07 09:28
    Some healthy "debate" is necessary to prevent people sneaking in blatant POV. Just look at some of the chess articles, they are pure class, try setting foot on the Encyclopedia Britannica to find chess articles.
  14. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    11 Mar '07 12:13
    Some healthy "debate" is necessary to prevent people sneaking in blatant POV. Just look at some of the chess articles, they are pure class, try setting foot on the Encyclopedia Britannica to find chess articles.
    There is a terrific article on chess in the Encyclopedia Britannica I grew up with (the 1963 edition). Still better by a long ways in some respects than Wikipedia, but then no one will look at a web site article half as long as those in that old set of door stops.
  15. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    11 Mar '07 12:38
    Whats this wikipedia everyone goes on about?

Is it another chess site?
    Is it free to play?
    Is it any good?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree