1. Standard memberepic0002
    Black Mark
    walking to and fro
    Moves
    24 Sep '07 01:31
    Ah yes the move that have come down to blows and destroyed boards and friendships in my life. Not one person on RHP has questioned it... wierd
  2. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    24 Sep '07 01:35
    Originally posted by epic0002
    Ah yes the move that have come down to blows and destroyed boards and friendships in my life. Not one person on RHP has questioned it... wierd
    I guess there's a thought buried in there somewhere. 😛
  3. Standard memberepic0002
    Black Mark
    walking to and fro
    Moves
    24 Sep '07 01:42
    Originally posted by Mad Rook
    I guess there's a thought buried in there somewhere. 😛
    I JUST THOUGHT IT WAS WIERD THAT THE MOVE USUALLY CAME WITH AN EXPLANAITION.. EVEN IN TOUNAMENTS. BUT IN TWO YEARS ON RHP NOBODY HAS EVER SAID ANYTHING ABOUT IT. DO PLAYERS USE IT ALOT ON HERE?
  4. Joined
    05 Aug '07
    Moves
    24 Sep '07 01:46
    Explained at tournaments??Where I come from people who enter tournaments are expected to know the rules.Maybe we're just odd 😕
  5. washington
    Moves
    24 Sep '07 01:50
    its common knowlidge in the chess world. pawns use to only be abel to move 1 space at a time. many e3 e6 e4 e5 players just decided to move 2 squares instead. although moving a pawn 2 squares at once evolved the game. so did the moving of the queen of more than 1 space at a time.
  6. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    24 Sep '07 01:54
    I JUST THOUGHT IT WAS WIERD THAT THE MOVE USUALLY CAME WITH AN EXPLANAITION.. EVEN IN TOUNAMENTS. BUT IN TWO YEARS ON RHP NOBODY HAS EVER SAID ANYTHING ABOUT IT. DO PLAYERS USE IT ALOT ON HERE?
    Some RHP newbies aren't familiar with the en passant rule, but most players here know the rules of chess. I've never had to explain the en passant rule to a USCF tournament opponent, but that could be because I haven't played many young players, and I've never played in a scholastic tournament.
  7. Earth
    Moves
    24 Sep '07 04:03
    It's not some peculiarity of Red Hot Pawn. It's a rule of chess. So of course we play it!
  8. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    24 Sep '07 04:261 edit
    I feel the same thing about castling. It's kind of cheating.

Just when you have a mortal attack on you opponent's king, he cowardly escapes with it inte a safe spot and bring the rook forward in the light. It just destroys the position and your soon won game is turned into a lost one. Weird I would say.

And the still weirder thing about it is that every one accepts it as a proper move and never complains about it.

Not to mention queening...
  9. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    24 Sep '07 12:18
    En passent has never been questioned by me or by my opponents either here or OTB whenever or whereever I play. Nor has stalemate, repetition, 50 move rule, etc. etc.

I guess my opponents just expect me to know the rules, all of them! Kind of wierd that!
  10. Joined
    13 Jul '07
    Moves
    24 Sep '07 12:52
    Whether the move appears weird (wierd) or not, it is still a valid move; perhaps the rules are wrong. 🙄
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Sep '07 12:58
    En Passant is for CLOSERS ! Put...that pawn....DOWN!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=xKzMd328bMw
  12. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    24 Sep '07 13:16
    I have seen at least two threads where someone thought they had mate or stalemate, but didn't due to e.p.

Thank you for shouting.
  13. Joined
    13 Jul '07
    Moves
    24 Sep '07 14:05
    I didn't think the move needed an explanation if one was conversant with the rules of chess, but it sets off an interesting thread - again.
  14. Chalk Village
    Moves
    24 Sep '07 16:32
    It's often a game winner...it's polite to quote 'en passent'...when making the move..well i do anyway
  15. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    24 Sep '07 17:111 edit
    Originally posted by carjam
    It's often a game winner...it's polite to quote 'en passent'...when making the move..well i do anyway
    I never say en passent and never say check or check mate either. In fact in most tournaments I play I would probably be told off (by the arbiter) for disturbing other players if I did.

I would assume if my opponent cannot tell he is in check (or that it is his turn to move or that I have taken his pawn e.p.) he does not deserve to be playing in the same tournament as me.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree