1. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    24 Sep '07 17:56
    I 've had occasion to use en passant a few times, and had it done to me. I see no reason for explainations. All the rules are posted on the site, and new players should read them before attempting play.
  2. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    24 Sep '07 18:29
    .. I just cant get to grips with the horse move ....
  3. Joined
    13 Jul '07
    Moves
    24 Sep '07 18:55
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    .. I just cant get to grips with the horse move ....
    Try it side-saddle.
  4. Joined
    22 Aug '06
    Moves
    24 Sep '07 19:08
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    I feel the same thing about castling. It's kind of cheating.

Just when you have a mortal attack on you opponent's king, he cowardly escapes with it inte a safe spot and bring the rook forward in the light. It just destroys the position and your soon won game is turned into a lost one. Weird I would say.

And the still weirder thing about it is that e ...[text shortened]... ry one accepts it as a proper move and never complains about it.

Not to mention queening...
    The great Emmanual Lasker once wrote that he thought that the right to castle was a bad rule. He thought that more interesting attacking games would result without the rule.
  5. Joined
    22 Aug '06
    Moves
    24 Sep '07 19:11
    I've had probably scores of novice players question my en passant move in casual games. Never had it questioned in a tournament game, though. Probably because I've never played anyone rated below 500. 🙂
  6. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    24 Sep '07 20:462 edits
    Originally posted by epic0002
    Ah yes the move that have come down to blows and destroyed boards and friendships in my life. Not one person on RHP has questioned it... wierd
    It comes up now and then on the forums.
    here's a thread where someone thought the game was hacked 🙂
    http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=66279
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Sep '07 22:271 edit
    Originally posted by duecer
    I 've had occasion to use en passant a few times, and had it done to me. I see no reason for explainations. All the rules are posted on the site, and new players should read them before attempting play.
    Only used it a few times? What, have you been playing chess for a week or something? It comes up constantly.
    I've had n00Bs not know about it, and I've seen a few (not many) long time casual players who were aware of it, but thought it was a regionalized or optional rule to be agreed upon in advance.
    Real Korkser Chess. (There's a old time slang term that most aren't aware of, it's German, anybody know the definition)? Korkser rules are still played online.
  8. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    24 Sep '07 22:30
    Originally posted by Sam The Sham
    Only used it a few times? What, have you been playing chess for a week or something? It comes up constantly.
    I've had n00Bs not know about it, and I've seen a few (not many) long time casual players who were aware of it, but thought it was a regionalized or optional rule to be agreed upon in advance.
    Real Korkser Chess. (There's a old time slan ...[text shortened]... aware of, it's German, anybody know the definition)? Korkser rules are still played online.
    Looks like it's German
    http://play.chessvariants.org/erf/KorkserC.html
  9. Garner, NC
    Moves
    24 Sep '07 23:35
    Real Korkser Chess. (There's a old time slan ...[text shortened]... aware of, it's German, anybody know the definition)? Korkser rules are still played online.
    For me, it doesn't get played that often, but comes up more than it is played.

For example, I'll be thinking, "I could move my pawn up two spaces, but that won't work because he'll take it en passant." In that scenerio, it has an effect on the game and has "come up", but it hasn't actually been played.

If i happened to be playing someone not aware of en passant rule, he wouldn't even realize it though.
  10. 1. e4!!
    Moves
    25 Sep '07 00:07
    I've had a person question it before on here. I just explained it and they were ok then.
  11. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    25 Sep '07 07:19
    The threat of en passent (detering your opponent from pushing a pawn to the 6th rank) actually comes up more often than the opportunity to actually play it.
  12. Nixa, MO USA
    Moves
    25 Sep '07 07:27
    Originally posted by excalibur 122
    Try it side-saddle.
    Lessee, da horsey goes up two an' over one! Unless maybe he'd radder go over tWO an' UP ONE!! 🙄 The entire theory of the knights is to represent the "Heavy Cavalry" available in the 100's to the 1800's! they move the way they do to represent the fact that they were used to mount sneak attacks and "Flanking" manuevers that were actually very true to life in matching the moves that knights do!! Remember that Chess was originally a game taught to and played by nobles and royalty to teach strategy and viewpoint to the ones who actually went out and fought the battles!!
  13. Manila, Philippines
    Moves
    25 Sep '07 07:39
    Originally posted by Gary Thomas
    Remember that Chess was originally a game taught to and played by nobles and royalty to teach strategy and viewpoint to the ones who actually went out and fought the battles!!
    yup...hide the king in the castle...and let the queen do the dirty job 😛
  14. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    25 Sep '07 11:58
    I know that somethimes lesser skilled opponents often are inclined to do the e.p. when the chance is given. Once I used that very inclinaton and set a trap, and my opponent just did that, and losed. (I don't remember in which game I did that.) Perhaps he would lose anyway, but I smiled a little. A cheap one, indeed.
  15. I pity the fool!
    Moves
    25 Sep '07 12:11
    Originally posted by Dragon Fire
    I never say en passent and never say check or check mate either. In fact in most tournaments I play I would probably be told off (by the arbiter) for disturbing other players if I did.

I would assume if my opponent cannot tell he is in check (or that it is his turn to move or that I have taken his pawn e.p.) he does not deserve to be playing in the same tournament as me.
    You wouldnt say mate? I can imagine that could lead to some confusion if you stopped the clocks and left the board with no explination, some players might even try and reset the pieces and claim you were resigning.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree