1. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Sep '11 20:30
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    You should strive to know your opponents plan at all times... if he happens to tell you then your work is that much easier. 😛
    only a frenchie scots canadian would say something like that! 😛
  2. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    08 Sep '11 00:22
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Not really GP, my question was , Why did Fischer not play an immediate ...d5, which as
    your post indicates was answered by the statement that he felt white was in zuggers,
    which is fair enough. I fully grasped and understood that. My own was not intended
    as a refutation, or vandalism or anything to do with Fischer in reality, merely an
    obse ...[text shortened]... or Breyer to assert and Reti to quote that white was in trouble after 1.e4 was highly
    amusing!
    What we can learn from Fischer, Breyer, and Reti is that chess players were making grandiose and outrageous statements about the game well before the invention of the internet and the forum.

We're merely continuing the tradition!
  3. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    08 Sep '11 00:34
    Robbie- if you dedicate yourself to exploiting opening ideas that are taken for granted even if they are *dubious* you will get many, many wins against the rank and file who follow dogma without understanding.

That being said. I would commit to serious study any comment made by a WC about a position...
  4. e4
    Moves
    08 Sep '11 00:59
    Winter gives Fischer as Columist an airing.

http://www.chesshistory.com/winter/winter23.html

4423. Fischer the columnist

Where the above postion and others are discussed.

The whole page of WInter's is worth going over.

4391. MacDonnell on Zukertort
    Now that is a rant that would ot look out of place on a forum.
  5. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    08 Sep '11 01:35
    Winter's site is filled with gems. MacDonnell's comments remind us how unmoderated forums would be.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Sep '11 07:43
    Originally posted by Paul Leggett
    What we can learn from Fischer, Breyer, and Reti is that chess players were making grandiose and outrageous statements about the game well before the invention of the internet and the forum.

We're merely continuing the tradition!
    LOL, and a fine tradition it is!
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Sep '11 07:511 edit
    Originally posted by nimzo5
    Robbie- if you dedicate yourself to exploiting opening ideas that are taken for granted even if they are *dubious* you will get many, many wins against the rank and file who follow dogma without understanding.

That being said. I would commit to serious study any comment made by a WC about a position...
    Actually I was merely following a line from my Golombek book, his idea against the
    KIA which by sheer coincidence i had been reading the day before, so its not my idea,
    although in reality Golombeks reasoning appealed to me more than Fischers.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Sep '11 08:30
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    Winter gives Fischer as Columist an airing.

http://www.chesshistory.com/winter/winter23.html

4423. Fischer the columnist

Where the above postion and others are discussed.

The whole page of WInter's is worth going over.

4391. MacDonnell on Zukertort
    Now that is a rant that would ot look out of place on a forum.
    what an awesome of collection of gems!
  9. Joined
    18 Feb '10
    Moves
    08 Sep '11 08:52
    MacDonnell really didn't seem to like Zukertort much. He even managed to sneak a deriding story about him into the chapter about James Mason in "The Knights and Kings of Chess":

Mason loves his friends, and has a kind word even for his enemies. He delights in fun, and is an expert in dry humour. Here is an instance. On one occasion Zed visited Aldershot, and was entertained there for some days by General G. Upon his return to London somebody asked how he had spent his time there.

Well, - said the courageous doctor, - every morning after breakfast, by the General's order, a horse, a large handsome animal, was brought to the door for my use. It was a very high horse, sixteen hands at least. And I used to mount him and ride about the country for two hours or three hours etc.

The incident was reported to Mason.

- What? - said he. - Zed mount - get upon a high horse and ride it. I don't believe it.

- Why?

- Why? Because if once he got up upon a high horse he would never get down. He would be riding it now; he would ride it for ever!
  10. e4
    Moves
    08 Sep '11 10:41
    Quite a character Zukertort.
    We were talking about him yesterday afternoon at the Edinburgh Club.

He loved telling incrdible tales about himself. 'Yarns' according to Hooper & Whyld.
    Fantastic adventures, Tiger hunts, taking part in famous battles, expert swordsman,
    expert pistol shot, champion jockey.
    It is suspected most knew they were accurate but enjoyed them anyway.

Some of the deeds he claimed to have done were not all from him.

He promised to give an interview after a tournament but at the end felt too tired.
    So he told the reporter to write anything he wanted, he will endorse it.

The reporter's imagination went overboard and Zed felt obliged to say it was all true.

Great chess player.
  11. Joined
    18 Feb '10
    Moves
    08 Sep '11 22:11
    Here is one of my favourite games. Zukertort is White and gives his amateur opponent knight odds:
  12. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    09 Sep '11 01:56
    Originally posted by plopzilla
    Sorry had to post this as GP is always slagging off the KIA!

Also, as computer use is the main topic at moment my point is that for me a patzer to beat this program there must be something wrong? (and before trolltastic comes along this is in no way a showboat) I just thought an interesting example of how bad computer program is?

[pgn]

[Event "ICC ...[text shortened]... 8 72. Kf5 Rxc6 73. Qxc6 g4 74. Kf6 Kg8 75. Qd7 gxh3
    76. Qg7#
    1-0

[/pgn]
    Here's a KIA I played back in 1996, which could really be called a Pirc Attack. Plopzilla and I have PM'd about this back and forth, and it occurred to me that this would be a relevant game for the thread.

It was part of my best tournament performance. I was 2-0 in the Fredericksburg Open in Virginia, USA after beating back-to-back experts the first day (both with the KIA, as I got two whites in a row), and then the next day got chewed up and spit out by a 2300-something Master and a 2190 something expert- reality reasserted itself!

13. gumtree
    Moves
    10 Sep '11 11:23
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    Sorry about that. My colleague was doing it from memory as well.

On pages 215-216 of the September 1963 Chess Life.

This position from the KIA Reversed V The KID in the Mirror.
    ECO code OXO cube and gravy.

[fen]rnbq1rk1/ppp1ppbp/3p1np1/8/8/3P1NP1/PPP1PPBP/RNBQ1RK1 w - - 0 6[/fen]

Reinhard v Fischer, USA Western Open 1963.

Fischer writes. ...[text shortened]... You KIA drip-sticks are in trouble. You need to lose a tempo somewhere
    before reaching here.
    By coincidence I have just reached this position as black in a game here on RHP. Not saying which game as it is still in progress but it will be interesting to see if white really is in trouble.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Sep '11 11:413 edits
    Originally posted by Diophantus
    By coincidence I have just reached this position as black in a game here on RHP. Not saying which game as it is still in progress but it will be interesting to see if white really is in trouble.
    i dont understand blacks play. ...f6 looks kind of forced, but it weakens the Kings
    position which Leggy exploits rather excellently later on. After Leggy played c3 to kick
    the d4 knight I thought it would have been better to go back with the knight and then
    black could have applied pressure on the half open d file with queen and rooks. In the
    end it was white which ended up dominating the queens file. After 1.g3 white was
    practically busted!
  15. gumtree
    Moves
    10 Sep '11 11:49
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    i dont understand blacks play. ...f6 looks kind of forced, but it weakens the Kings
    position which Leggy exploits rather excellently later on. After Leggy played c3 to kick
    the d4 knight I thought it would have been better to go back with the knight and then
    black could have applied pressure on the half open d file with queen and rooks. In ...[text shortened]... was white which ended up dominating the queens file. After 1.g3 white was
    practically busted!
    I think you are slightly confused. I was referencing the position posted by GP where you thought that d5 was better than d6 for black. I happen to have reached the same position by a different move order, a Modern Defence so the pawn was already on d6 when I played Nf6 to complete the given position. It will be interesting to see if black (me) has the advantage that Fischer thought he has.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree