1400 beats 2400 IM Ling Fong with KIA.

1400 beats 2400 IM Ling Fong with KIA.

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rc

Moves
10 Sep 11
1 edit

Originally posted by Diophantus
I think you are slightly confused. I was referencing the position posted by GP where you thought that d5 was better than d6 for black. I happen to have reached the same position by a different move order, a Modern Defence so the pawn was already on d6 when I played Nf6 to complete the given position. It will be interesting to see if black (me) has the advantage that Fischer thought he has.
ok yes i see, i was referring to Leggy's game, however while on Fisheys zuggers, is it
not advantageous for white to drop a move when playing defensive systems as white
with something like 1.a3 e5 2.c4 and white has a Sicilian defence with reverse colours
the move a3 having already been played 🙂

Chess Librarian

The Stacks

Moves
10 Sep 11

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
i dont understand blacks play. ...f6 looks kind of forced, but it weakens the Kings
position which Leggy exploits rather excellently later on. After Leggy played c3 to kick
the d4 knight I thought it would have been better to go back with the knight and then
black could have applied pressure on the half open d file with queen and rooks. In ...[text shortened]... was white which ended up dominating the queens file. After 1.g3 white was
practically busted!
In my game black just blundered when he played his queen to f8. He just missed how absolute the pin was on the rook on f7.

I had sacrificed the pawn with the idea of getting play, which I was more inclined to do when I was younger and thought I could toss pawns with reckless abandon and get away with it. I got married a few months later, and that was the end of that!

D
Up a

gumtree

Moves
10 Sep 11

ok yes i see, i was referring to Leggy's game, however while on Fisheys zuggers, is it
not advantageous for white to drop a move when playing defensive systems as white
with something like 1.a3 e5 2.c4 and white has a Sicilian defence with reverse colours
the move a3 having already been played 🙂
Some would say so, it is definitely true in some positions. Charlie Storey, (re)inventor of the Sniper (g6, Bg7 and c5 against anything white plays) thinks that a3 needs to be played first in the white version to lose the tempo. Duncan Suttles tried to play the Modern as white having had great success with 1. ... g6 and found the extra tempo troublesome. I tend to ignore the need to get rid of the tempo and just take the game down sensible white lines e.g. after 1. g3 e5 I will play c4 straight away and have a nice English.

rc

Moves
11 Sep 11

Originally posted by Paul Leggett
In my game black just blundered when he played his queen to f8. He just missed how absolute the pin was on the rook on f7.

I had sacrificed the pawn with the idea of getting play, which I was more inclined to do when I was younger and thought I could toss pawns with reckless abandon and get away with it. I got married a few months later, and that was the end of that!
i was thinking before that, in the early middle game, i simply dont understand the exchanges that he made, i mean what was your f3 knight really doing that he needed to exchange it? So that he could put a knight of d4? I would have definitely have tried to apply pressure down the queens file which I think you would have trouble defending.

Chess Librarian

The Stacks

Moves
11 Sep 11

i was thinking before that, in the early middle game, i simply dont understand the exchanges that he made, i mean what was your f3 knight really doing that he needed to exchange it? So that he could put a knight of d4? I would have definitely have tried to apply pressure down the queens file which I think you would have trouble defending.
In the KIA, my esperience is that Black players:

1) Overvalue space in the context of the game;

2) Mistake activity for initiative; and

3) Part with bishops way too easily, apparently thinking that because the position is relatively closed at the moment, it will stay that way. They forget that white has a multitude of pawn breaks in reserve, waiting to be played when appropriate.