1. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    11 Mar '18 22:25
    Originally posted by @byedidia
    I recon Carlsen will destroy whomever the challenger turns out to be.
    I think Atronian and Caruana would give him a good match. Kramnik would also be a challenge, but yes, I expect Carlsen to beat whomever it is. I think he would be more motivated if he got Aronian or Caruana. He has a healthy rivalry with both of them. I think he would struggel to get properly motivated for Vlad though.
  2. Joined
    14 Mar '18
    Moves
    14 Mar '18 22:13
    Hope to see Mamedyarov against Carlsen. Kramnik is old an play boring chess.
  3. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    15 Mar '18 07:44
    Originally posted by @unclemarcin
    Hope to see Mamedyarov against Carlsen. Kramnik is old an play boring chess.
    Boring? Seriously?? Have you looked at his games from this tournament? He has been involved in some of the best games. What could possibly be boring about ..Rg8 against Aronian? That was just a brilliant concept! Remove the bility to castle kingside with undeveloped pieces on the queenside preventing castling on that side. You really don't see that very often at this level.
  4. Standard memberSteve45
    Mozart
    liverpool
    Moves
    15 Mar '18 21:20
    I want Kramnik to win the Candidates. I think he would give Magnus a serious good game.
  5. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    16 Mar '18 10:26
    Originally posted by @steve45
    I want Kramnik to win the Candidates. I think he would give Magnus a serious good game.
    I agree. I would say he is probably the best prepared player in the world. If he is vulnerable anywhere, then it is in highly complicated dynamic poistions. Caruana won that game simply because of age and vigor IMO. A 25 year old Kramnik would have won that game.
  6. Subscriber64squaresofpain
    The drunk knight
    Stuck on g1
    Moves
    17 Mar '18 13:29
    Kramnik did kind-of implode vs. Mamedyarov yesterday...

Looks like Aronian may be out for the count also, pity.
  7. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    17 Mar '18 14:10
    Originally posted by @64squaresofpain
    Kramnik did kind-of implode vs. Mamedyarov yesterday...

Looks like Aronian may be out for the count also, pity.
    Yes allowing the rook in behind the pawn was rather a big oversight! Mamedyarov seems to be aiming for similar types of position. He is performing brilliantly in reduced material positions. It is almost Carlsen esque tbh. I didn't really give him a chance at the beginning but i have to re-assess his chances now, his performance so far has been really impressive!
  8. Subscribermlb62
    mlb62
    Moves
    18 Mar '18 20:52
    Caruana winning after 7 rounds !!
  9. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    19 Mar '18 09:45
    Originally posted by @ogb
    Caruana winning after 7 rounds !!
    There is plenty of time left for someone to make a charge. Technically Aronian is still in it but he basically needs to win most of his remaining games. Caruana is looking pretty stable. He has been somewhat lucky as both Kramnik and Aronian have gone "all in" against him, which has allowed him to chalk up two wins that could just as easily have been draws. Still, that's the way it goes i suppose. They all must be under a tremendous amount of pressure. Objectively, a draw against Caruana wouldn't have been all that bad for Aronian. Maybe now, staring failure in the face, he could perhaps go on a run (people are getting tired) but it seems unlikely that he can catch up.
  10. Subscribermlb62
    mlb62
    Moves
    19 Mar '18 12:22
    Originally posted by @marinkatomb
    Maybe now, he could perhaps go on a run (people are getting tired) but it seems unlikely that he can catch up.[/b]
    Whats with these tournaments having a "Rest Day".. and on a Saturday when 99% of the fans have the day off.. The organizers dont have any common sense..
  11. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    19 Mar '18 14:41
    Originally posted by @ogb
    Whats with these tournaments having a "Rest Day".. and on a Saturday when 99% of the fans have the day off.. The organizers dont have any common sense..
    They do it every single time! I mean how hard is it to use just a little common sense? They want it to be a commercial success. They charge an entrance fee to the venue for crying out loud! Which day do you think you will get the best attendence?? Hmmm, ooh I know this one....monday! Yay, peanuts all round. 🙄
  12. Subscriber64squaresofpain
    The drunk knight
    Stuck on g1
    Moves
    19 Mar '18 23:59
    Good chess tournament organiser's left the scene many years Agon....

I still don't know why they have to charge such heavy entrance FIDE's...

OK, my apologies, too many bad pawns... 😞
  13. Subscribermlb62
    mlb62
    Moves
    20 Mar '18 19:39
    Kramnik loses another one..he is imploding !
  14. Standard membersundown316
    The Mighty Messenger
    The Wood of N'Kai
    Moves
    22 Mar '18 00:06
    Somebody tell Ding Liren that you don't win tournaments by drawing all of your games!
  15. Subscribermlb62
    mlb62
    Moves
    22 Mar '18 13:54
    Originally posted by @sundown316
    Somebody tell Ding Liren that you don't win tournaments by drawing all of your games!
    yes, it's a wonder....

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree